1. It’s the 40th Anniversary
The Rubik’s cube was invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and architecture professor Erno Rubik. It was originally called “Magic Cube”, but was later changed to “Rubik’s Cube” in honor of its inventor.
2. It’s the Best Selling Puzzle & Toy of All Time
Though it reached its popularity peak in the 1980s, according to Wikipedia:
As of January 2009, 350 million cubes had been sold worldwide making it the world’s top-selling puzzle game.It is widely considered to be the world’s best-selling toy.
3. It is Celebrated for its Relevance to Mathematics
The Rubik’s Cube follows a mathematical theory called the mathematical group theory. The toy became so popular amongst theorists that the mathematical group theory has a sub-theory called the “Rubik’s Cube group.”
4. It is Featured A Lot in Movies
There’s even a site dedicated to the Rubik’s Cube in movies. Click here. There are over twenty!
5. How to Solve the Google Doodle Rubik’s Cube
Discuss on Facebook