Super Bowl 51’s kick-off starts tonight at 6:30 p.m. ET on the FOX Network and millions of viewers are getting ready for the big game. From the food to music, to clever social media statuses, fans are gearing up for a day of football. In honor of the annual event, read our top 20 quotes about football below.
1. Football is like life – it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
– Vince Lombardi
2. Football is a game of mistakes. Whoever makes the fewest mistakes wins.
– Johan Cruyff
3. Most football players are temperamental. That’s 90% temper and 10% mental.
– Doug Plank
4. The truth is the Super Bowl long ago became more than just a football game. It’s part of our culture like turkey at Thanksgiving and lights at Christmas, and like those holidays beyond their meaning, a factor in our economy.
– Bob Schieffer
5. Football is football and talent is talent. But the mindset of your team makes all the difference.
– Robert Griffin III
6. There’s two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.
– Darius Rucker
7. The Super Bowl is like a movie, and the quarterback is the leading man.
– Leigh Steinberg
8. The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office.
– Dwight D. Eisenhower
9. I’m looking for a wine that pairs well with pretending to like football.
10. Politics is like football; if you see daylight, go through the hole.
– John F. Kennedy
11. The reason women don’t play football is because eleven of them would never wear the same outfit in public.
– Phyliss Diller
12. Football fans share a universal language that cuts across many cultures and many personality types. A serious football fan is never alone. We are legion, and football is often the only thing we have in common.
– Hunter S. Thompson
13. I’ve been training all football season to eat at a Super Bowl party level.
14. Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.
– Gary Lineker
15. I prefer to win titles with the team ahead of individual awards or scoring more goals than anyone else. I’m more worried about being a good person than being the best football player in the world. When all this is over, what are you left with? When I retire, I hope I am remembered for being a decent guy.
– Lionel Messi
16. I’d run over my mother to win the Super Bowl.
– Russ Grimm
17. It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.
– Vince Lombardi
18. Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl.
– Bill Peterson
19. Every guy has different strengths in the NFL. Receivers are different, running backs are different, but they all have that one thing that they do that’s special: that thing that keeps them on the roster every year.
– Larry Fitzgerald
20. In football as in watchmaking, talent and elegance mean nothing without rigour and precision.
– Lionel Messi