The professional basketball season might be coming to an end, but with the weather warming up it’s a perfect time to get outside and play on your very own portable basketball hoop and backboard systems.
Portable basketball sets are perfect for your driveway, street or cul-de-sac. They come with wheels on the base, so you can transport them with ease wherever you see fit. Unlike in-ground systems, you don’t need cement to keep the unit sturdy while you play. But rather you fill the base with sand or water and you’re ready to go.
Browse a wider selection of outdoor portable basketball hoops and backboards if this list doesn’t have what you’re looking for. But keep reading below to see 5 of the most popular portable basketball systems on the market right now. And if the portable style isn’t the model you want, check out our post on the best in-ground basketball hoop systems.
1. Lifetime 1221 Pro Court Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System, 44 Inch Backboard
The first item on the list is a real bargain. The Lifetime 1221 Pro Court Adjustable Portable Basketball Hoop has a 44-inch backboard, which is made of a high-density polyethylene construction with UV-protection. This plastic material is sturdy enough to protect the backboard from cracking and chipping when it’s left out in the elements. Featuring an 18-inch solid steel black rim with 1/2-inch steel braces, it can handle your slam dunks (though it isn’t a breakaway rim). And if you can’t throw it down at the 10-feet standard height, no problem. The height of the basket can be adjusted from 7.5- to 10-feet in 6-inch increments. Easy to move to your desired location (wheels on the base), just fill the 27-gallon base with sand or water to keep the system sturdy and you’re ready to play.
Price: $99.00 (34 percent off MSRP)
Buy the Lifetime 1221 Pro Court Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System, 44 Inch Backboard here.
- Low price
- Easy to move and re-locate
- 5-year warranty
- Easy-to-use height adjustment mechanism
- Rim is not a breakaway rim
- Large size might make it difficult to store in a garage
- Some users feel it’s best suited for younger players
2. Silverback NXT Portable Basketball Hoop
While you might be paying a bit more for the Silverback NXT Portable Basketball Hoop (just under $500), you’re getting one of the company’s most popular and highest-rated units. Silverback’s “Stabili-Frame” technology has steel-on-steel connection between the base and main pole, which offers maximum strength and stability. With “Quick Play” assembly (can be put together in roughly 90 minutes), the Silverback NXT boasts an Infinity Edge Backboard with edges that wrap around to the back as one continuous material, resulting in a much more strong backboard. Easy to move thanks to wheels on the base, which can be filled with water or sand to keep the hoop sturdy, the NXT’s height can slide anywhere from 7.5 to the standard 10 feet. For $100 more, you can get this same version with a 54-inch backboard.
- Easy to put together, comes partially assembled
- Infinity Edge Backboard made of acrylic material with steel supports
- Rear kickstand will not allow the goal to tip backward during transport
- On the pricey side
- No breakaway rim
3. Spalding NBA Hercules Pro Glide Advanced Lift Portable Basketball System With 52-Inch Acrylic Backboard
The Spalding NBA Hercules Pro Glide Advanced Lift Portable Basketball System features a 52-inch acrylic backboard with a breakaway steel rim. The backboard is solid and can handle big-time play. It measures 52 inches by 32 inches and has a 1 inch by 1 inch steel frame. The base, which can be filled with 39 gallons of water to keep the unit sturdy, has two wheels for easy transport. Other highlights include the Pro-Glide advanced lift system, which allows you to adjust the height of the rim between 7.5 and 10 feet; a 3.5-inch thick angled steel pole (angled 20 degrees), which comes in three pieces to make installation easier; and an NBA graphic backboard pad to prevent injuries.
Price: $333.69 (32 percent off MSRP)
Buy the Spalding NBA Hercules Pro Glide Advanced Lift Portable Basketball System With 52-Inch Acrylic Backboard here.
- Backboard pad to prevent injury
- 16-inch backboard to base offset for more under the basket play
- Breakaway steel rim
- Large 52-inch backboard
- Won’t shop for 1 to 2 months
- Some users had trouble with assembly
4. Lifetime 1558 Portable Basketball Hoop System With 52-Inch Backboard
Lifetime’s second entry on the list comes in the form of the 1558 Portable Hoop System featuring a 52-inch Makrolon (polycarbonate) backboard, which is shatterproof and stronger than acrylic. The “Slam-It” rim is also sturdy, constructed of solid steel with double-compression springs, which is designed to handle your thunderous dunks. The patented Power Lift system allows you to easily adjust the hoops height from 7.5 to 10 feet. The 1558 also features a 35-gallon, rolling base which can be filled with sand or water to keep the unit steady in the outdoor elements; a 3.5-inch diameter round powder coated steel pole (comes in three pieces); fade-resistant graphics; an all-weather net; and 5-year warranty.
Price: $272.80 (9 percent off MSRP)
- Easy-to-use Action Grip height adjuster
- Sturdy Makrolon constructed backboard
- Slam-It style rim for extra strength and durability on dunks
- Takes 1 to 2 weeks to ship
- Some users reported pieces missing upon delivery
5. Spalding NBA Hybrid Portable Basketball System
The Spalding NBA Hybrid Porrtable Basketball System comes in two backboard sizes — 54 and 60 inches. The acrylic backboard 54 inches by 32 inches Acrylic with a 1 inch by 1 inch steel frame with aluminum trim. The bigger backboard measures 60 inches by 34 inches. The height can be adjusted from 7.5 feet to the standard 10 feet with ease. The hybrid aspect is featured in the unit’s base. The base, which comes with wheels for easy transport, can hold 200 pounds of sand/gravel and 19 gallons of water. It also has a removable lid for storage. Other highlights include a breakaway rim, which helps with overall durability and strength; a three-piece, 3.5-inch steel pole; and a 16-inch backboard offset for extended play underneath the basket.
Price: $513.72 (price is for the 54-inch, $524.51 for the 60-inch)
- Hybrid base which holds either water or sand with storage
- Free assembly; discount is applied at checkout
- Breakaway rim with board pad
- Won’t ship for up to a month
- Price is over $500