If you’re a football player — whether youth, high school, college, or pro — you probably don’t need to be told you need to wear a mouthpiece. Football is a rough game and protecting your teeth and mouth should be a top priority.
There are all sorts of mouthguards available. Ones with a strap to attach to your facemask and ones without tethers, those that offer lip protection, and those catered to players who wear braces. Some of the top brands in the mouthpiece business are Shock Doctor, Battle, and Under Armour, to name a few.
Keep reading to see the most popular and effective football mouthpieces on the market today.
Note: the following list is in no particular order.
1. Battle Oxygen Predator Football Mouthguard
Battle is one of the leading producers of mouthguards and mouthpieces and the Oxygen Predator is one of the most popular for football players. The patented guard was designed to maximize airflow so you’ll get more oxygen to your muscles, which leads to better performance and quicker recovery time. The piece doesn’t require any boiling to get a custom fit to your mouth and it works for those players who wear braces. The Oxygen Predator was developed by athletic, dental, and medical experts and has a $5,000 dental warranty.
- Works for those who wear braces
- No boiling required
- Protects your lips
- Probably not suitable for children under 10; runs larger
2. Shock Doctor Max AirFlow Lipguard Convertible Mouth Guard
Max AirFlow Lipguard Convertible Mouth Guard from Shock Doctor is highlighted by an Air Flow Channel, which is designed to get you the oxygen you need to stay fresh on the field. Offering maximum protection for your lips, the Max AirFlow is made of medical grade silicone so you won’t need to boil it before using; it’s an instant custom fit. It also features “I-Beam Stability,” which supports the shape of the air channel and protection from bite impacts. In addition, the Max AirFlow is braces-friendly, comes with a strap, and has a $10,000 dental warranty.
Price: From $10.00 to $30.00
- Available in both adult and youth sizes
- Works with braces
- No boiling needed for custom fit
- Latex, BPA, and Phthalate free
- Some users experienced durability issues
- Some users felt the product design didn’t match the description
3. Battle Oxygen Lip Protector Mouthguard
The Battle Oxygen Lip Protector is basically the same as the Predator listed above, but without the custom design. The Oxygen Lip Protector is available in over a dozen solid colors so finding one to match your team uniform shouldn’t be a problem. Designed to supply maximum oxygen with the largest breathing hole on the market, the mouthpiece offers plenty of protection for your teeth and lips. It comes with a removable strap, if you prefer to attach it to your facemask. You also won’t need to boil it to get a perfect and comfortable fit and it’s one size fits most.
Price: From $12.99
- No boiling needed
- Provides maximum breathability; largest breathing hole available
- Unlimited defective guarantee
- Some users feel the lip guard is too bulky
- Might not fit youth players
4. Shock Doctor Pro Mouth Guard
The Pro Mouth Guard from Shock Doctor comes at a bargain price, but offers great protection. Available in both strap and strapless options, this mouthpiece is one that you need to boil then mold to your mouth for a custom fit. If you’re unsure how to do that, check out the video below. The Shock Doctor Pro features dual composite construction and a shock absorbing frame for maximum protection, comfort, and durability. Also, this mouthguard works if you wear braces.
Price: From $5.95
- Available in both strap and strapless
- Shock absorbing bumper
- Dual composite construction for extra protection
- Some find the boil and mold method difficult
- No lip protection
5. Vettex Adult Football Mouthguard
The mouthguard by Vettex is pretty straightforward with its intention — to keep your teeth and lips protected on the gridiron. Unlike the other mouthguards listed above, Vettex’s product doesn’t have the stylish custom-design look, though it is available in 16 different colors. But it gets the job done. Made of pliable thermo rubber you won’t need to boil it for a perfect, comfortable fit. It also has breathing holes to maximize your oxygen intake which will help you stay fresher on gameday and in practice. The Vettex mouthguard has an adjustable strap, though it can’t be removed.
Price: From $8.99
- Has breathing holes to maximize oxygen intake
- No boiling necessary
- Protects teeth and lips
- One piece only, can’t remove strap
- Some users experienced durability issues
6. Soldier Sports Fang/Digital Camo Mouthguard 2-Pack
The Soldier Sports Fang/Digital Camo Mouthguard comes in a two-pack with two tethers so you have the option of going strapped or strapless. The synthetic mouthpiece is one size fits all and works with or without braces. It is very thin, but offers maximum protection and comfort. Available in 16 different colors, the Soldier Sports mouthguard has a $50,000 dental warranty, the highest in the industry. And a potion of each sale goes to the Special Operations Wounded Warrior program.
Price: Shown at $13.82; price varies depending on color and availability
- Available in 16 different colors
- 2 tethers included for strapped or strapless options
- Works with or without braces
- $50,000 dental warranty
- Some users experienced durability issues
- Needs to be boiled before custom fitting to teeth
7. Shock Doctor Gel Max Convertible Mouth Guard
The Gel Max Convertible Mouth Guard by Shock Doctor is designed to give you maximum comfort and protection. The triple-layer construction features a Gel-Fit Liner for comfortable, custom fit, a heavy duty rubber Exoskeletal Shock Frame that provides protection upon impact, and integrated breathing channels. It also comes with a tether, so you can attach it to your facemask or use it strapless. Available in 10 different colors, the mouthpiece can be used for a number of different sports and come in both adult and youth sizes.
Price: Pictured at $7.66 (41 percent off MSRP); prices vary depending on color and availability
- Durable triple layer design with breathing channels
- Gel-Fit liner for extra comfort
- Available in 10 different colors
- Tether included, can be used strap or strapless
- It isn’t braces-friendly
- Some feel the mouth guard runs small in size
8. Under Armour Mouthwear ArmourFit Mouthguard
The ArmourFit Mouthguard from Under Armour is designed for all contact sports. UA’s ArmourFit technology is chew resistant and will give you a perfect, secure fit (boil and mold process) and will also allow you to talk and breathe easily on the field. Complete with a strap, the mouthpiece is latex free. Available in five different colors, it comes with a $32,000 dental warranty and meets the rules of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).
Price: $11.69 (10 percent off MSRP)
- ArmourFit technology provides a dentist-like fit
- Easy to talk and breathe when wearing
- $32,000 dental warranty
- Some might find the boil and molding procedure difficult
- Some who used the youth size experienced some fitting issues
9. Shock Doctor Double Braces Mouthguard
This particular mouthguard from Shock Doctor is ideal for the athlete with braces. Offering protection for both the upper and lower teeth, the mouthguard is designed to conform to your mouth instantly and adapt to changes as your teeth adjust over time. And breathing channels will ensure extra airflow to keep you fresh on the field. Made of 100 percent medical-grade silicone, the mouthpiece is available in red or blue and in strapped or strapless options.
Price: Adult sizes $24.99 in red; $17.99 in blue
- Protection for both upper and lower teeth
- Adapts to your mouth structure as teeth adjust
- Made of 100 percent medical-grade silicone
- Available in both strapped and strapless options
- Some younger users felt it was an uncomfortable fit
- On the pricey side
10. Shock Doctor GelMax Flavored Convertible Mouth Guard
The GelMax Flavored Convertible Mouth Guard from Shock Doctor offers extreme comfort and protection with flavor. Seven different flavors are available — Blue Raspberry, Bubble Gum, Cherry, Fruit Punch, Lemon Lime, Mint, and Orange. The Flavor Fusion technology will ensure you’ll have long-lasting taste throughout the season. Other highlights include an Exoskeletal Shock Frame for extra protection on impact and a Gel-Fit Liner for a tight, comfortable fit. It can be used with a strap or without and comes with a $10,000 dental warranty.
Price: Shown at $15.07; price varies depending on flavor, size, style, and availability
- Features flavor fusion technology for long-lasting taste (7 flavors available)
- High impact shock absorption
- Custom gel fit for extra comfort
- Some users felt the flavoring didn’t last long
- Some users felt the sizing ran small