If you own a laptop, you need to keep it safe. Your laptop is probably full of important files, information, and media that you would hate to lose. A great laptop bag can help you protect your laptop from the elements, or from everyday scrapes and bumps. But not all laptop bags are created equal. Whether you’re looking for a messenger bag, a rolling bag that’s great for navigating crowded airports, or just a simple backpack with a compartment for your laptop, here are some stellar options for laptop bags you can buy in 2015. Best of all, many of these bags have tablet compartments as well, so they can be used to carry all your tech in one place.
1. Moshi Urbana Laptop Bag
Moshi makes a ton of great tech accessories, including iPhone cases, screen protectors, and power supplies. One thing they really excel at is making fashionable, practical bags for carrying your laptop and tablet on the go. While we like the looks of Moshi’s Venturo laptop backpack, we have to give the edge to Moshi’s Urbana bag, a slim laptop briefcase with lots of nice features.
The folks at Moshi were nice enough to send us a sample of the Urbana bag so we could go hands-on. Urbana will fit laptops up to 15 inches in its padded compartment. A neighboring interior pocket is big enough for an iPad or similarly-sized Android tablet. There are tons of additional pockets inside the bag, as well as two exterior pockets. This gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of where you can store your phone, charging cables, external batteries, pens, files, and other necessaries.
There are two big selling points here, besides the beautiful look of this bag. The “ViscoStrap” technology builds a little bounce into the messenger bag strap, which makes it more comfortable to wear during long commutes. The Urbana bag also features a water-resistant, splash-repellent coating, which is a nice touch for people who live in rainy climates. If you do spill something on it, Moshi recommends using commercial leather cleaners on the outside, and “a damp cloth in conjunction with suede cleaner” for the interior lining.
The design here is really attractive, with a nice blend of both form and function. If you’re looking for a bag that’s versatile enough to use at the office or while running to the gym after work, this is a great choice. It’s available in blue, gray, or green.
- Carry by the handles or with a shoulder strap
- ViscoStrap really makes this bag easier to carry
- Lightweight and slim
- Quality construction, with no fraying or wear noted during testing period
- Some may prefer a bag with real leather, not the PU leather used here
- Can’t be machine washed or dry-cleaned
- Fits 13-inch to 15-inch laptops best (those with bigger or smaller laptops may not want to grab this particular bag)
- Slim design may make this bag too narrow to accommodate bulkier items
- May be outside some budgets
2. Case Logic DLC-117 17.3-Inch Laptop & Tablet Case
If you have a larger laptop in the 17-inch range, it can be really hard to find a laptop bag that is big enough to fit your plus-sized computer. Thankfully, this inexpensive bag from Case Logic can fit laptops with up to a 17.3-inch display. It also has a compartment for a tablet up to 10.1 inches. The “organization panel” in the front pocket is great for keeping cords, phones, and other small items away from your main tech in the center pouch.
A great thing about this bag is the handle, or rather, handles. You can carry it by the U-handle, use the shoulder strap, or even slip the horizontal band over your rolling luggage’s handle. Both the shoulder strap and U-handles are made from a materials that are easy to grip.
Looking for something waterproof? You may be interested in our guide to the best waterproof backpacks.
Price: $30.45 (49 percent off)
- Attractive use of quilting
- Zippered back panel pocket with integrated smartphone slip pocket
- Fits larger laptops
- Front panel pocket has good organization
- Carry in hand or over a shoulder
- Some users dislike the texture of the shoulder strap
- Front organization pocket could be wider to accommodate bulky chargers more easily
- Limited color options
- Case materials may not appeal to all tastes
- Not splash-proof
3. London Fog Luggage Chelsea Rolling Laptop Bag
Looking for a laptop bag that’s airport-friendly? Anyone who travels frequently for business knows that a rolling bag is a great way to reduce shoulder strain in those long TSA lines. This bag from London Fog is 100% polyester jacquard, and has been designed to fit most airline overhead compartments. With three compartments (all of which are fully lined), you can feel secure storing your laptop, other tech, and extra clothes in this great airport laptop bag. This bag is designed to fit laptops no bigger than 17 inches.
Price: $86.99 (60 percent off)
- Ball bearing wheels for a smooth ride
- No pressure on your shoulder
- Should fit most airline storage compartments for luggage
- Matching tote bag and luggage also available, for those who like to look polished while traveling
- Somewhat expensive
- Some user reviews note a “new car”-like smell (this goes away after a few days)
- Some users have reported handle breaks
- Some users have found a few 17-inch laptops that are a very tight fit in this bag
- May not appeal to those looking for a slim, lightweight bag for laptops only
4. AmazonBasics Laptop Backpack
Great for both students and commuters, this laptop bag is ideal for people who want the best possible bag they can get for the smallest amount of money. While this bag may lack the size, style, and robust padding of other options on the market, it does have ample storage for a laptop, tablet, and even some school books. While the mesh side pockets aren’t particularly secure, they are good for storing items that you can easily replace, such as a water bottle or snacks. This would be a great laptop bag for daily use at school, or for people traveling for a short duration. If you are on a tight budget, this is a bag that will work for you.
- Handy side mesh pockets for water bottles or other accessories
- Padded area holds a laptop up to 17 inches in size
- Lots of different areas to organize and store your items
- Padded shoulder straps
- Backpack style may not appeal to some business types
- Limited color options
- Only under a limited warranty (one year)
- Feels like design could use extra padding or reinforcement in some areas
- If you keep your laptop in a thick neoprene sleeve, it may not fit in the bag with the sleeve on
5. Gootium 21108 Genuine Leather Laptop Messenger Bag
Made from real leather and high-density canvas, this Gootium laptop bag just feels nice under your fingertips. While it is a bit smaller than some of the other laptop bags on our list, this durable bag is still worth recommending. There’s a little extra leather on the bottom corners, which helps reinforce the bag slightly.
The manufacturers suggest that you can store a laptop like the 11.6-inch MacBook Air in the laptop compartment of this bag, or use the main compartment to store a bigger laptop that’s in the neighborhood of 14.5 inches (though some user reviews note that a 15-inch Dell Inspiron laptop will also fit comfortably.) Because this bag is smaller, you will need to avoid over-stuffing it, as this can lead to fraying or stretching over time. If you have a smaller laptop and don’t have a problem packing light, this is a great bag.
Price: $55.49 (59 percent off)
- Multiple color options
- Made with real leather
- Distressed look ensures this will only look better as it ages
- Cool hardware
- Carry by handle or use the shoulder strap
- Some users may prefer to store their laptop in a sleeve before placing in bag
- No added padding on shoulder strap
- No warranty
- Some user reviews report fraying or broken buckles over time
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors.