Summer is here, and that means lots of time spent by the pool, swimming in the lake, or relaxing on a boat. If you want to capture all of your summer memories, you’ll want to keep a camera with you. But most cameras will be destroyed if you accidentally get them wet. Looking for a digital camera that’s also waterproof? Here are ten of the best waterproof digital camera models available right now. Whether you’re looking for action cams, traditional digital cameras, or even kid-friendly cams, this list has got something for everyone. Read on to see our top picks for the best waterproof digital cameras on the market today.
1. GoPro HERO4 BLACK 4K Action Camera
The GoPro line of cameras are designed to be waterproof, rugged, and easy to attach to helmets, selfie sticks, or a chest harness. The new GoPro HERO4 boasts a processor that’s two times more powerful than before, with frame rates that are two times faster. The 4K quality video looks way better than 1080p, and the built-in Wi-Fi + Bluetooth features ensures that you can share videos to your phone while using the GoPro app. If you want a waterproof digital camera that is designed to record extreme sports and outdoor living, this is the best camera for your needs.
If the GoPro Hero4 Black is a little outside your price range, you can save a little cash by going with an older model, like the GoPro Hero3 Silver Edition or the original GoPro Hero. No matter which GoPro option you pick, you should check out our posts on the best GoPro accessories and the best GoPro selfie sticks.
Check out a hands-on review of this camera in the video above.
- Waterproof to 40 meters (131 feet)
- Easy to make time lapse videos
- Four times better video resolution than a 1080p camera
- New Night Photo and Night Lapse modes
- Memory card required and sold seperately
- Faster processor means short battery life
- Some people have reported overheating
2. Canon PowerShot D20 12.1 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera
Looking for a rugged, waterproof camera that is also affordable? This model from Canon is a nice choice because it’s waterproof to over 30 feet, and also shock-proof when dropped from heights of five feet or less. It also boasts optical image stabilization, 5x optical zoom, and the ability to take 1080p video with a frame rate of 24 fps. The camera is intelligent enough to choose between six different shooting modes, depending on the shooting conditions at the moment.
Price: $239 (20 percent off MSRP)
Get a closer look at this camera in the video above.
- Waterproof to 33 feet
- Curved design makes it easy to hold with wet hands
- Temperature-resistant from 14°F to 104°F
- GPS tracker
- A newer model is available (but slightly more expensive)
- In certain countries and regions, the use of GPS may be restricted
- GPS tracking does not work underwater.
- Images are somewhat “soft”, underwater images can have an off-color to them
3. Pyle PSAC4G Waterproof Digital Action Camera Video Recorder
Looking for a cheap, bargain-friendly camera that can be used underwater? You can get an underwater digital camera for less than $30. It’s waterproof, and can shoot either still or video images. It also records sound.
One small known issue that some people have experienced relates to the camera’s charger. Some users report that the camera may not fully recharge as it ages. However, with such a low price tag, this may not be a huge issue to some people. The low price tag makes this a nice option for people that have a tight budget, or for parents who are shopping for a low-price gadget for their kids.
Price: $29.99 (86 percent off MSRP)
- Works underwater
- Night vision sensor
- Only waterproof to three meters
- Low-quality camera sensor
- Low video resolution
- So small, it may be easy to misplace
4. Sony 4K Action Cam
Sony’s 4K action cam is the perfect waterproof camera for people who need a compact, high-quality camera. While it does carry a premium price tag, this camera is definitely worth it. With the optional LiveView remote, you can control your Action Cam (and up to four other cameras as well). The body is splashproof, and the camera can be submerged in up to five meters once you have placed it in the optional waterproof case. The body of the camera has a universal tripod mount, which means you can attach to pretty much any tripod or selfie stick. The built-in stereo mic is great for balanced sound that doesn’t suffer from wind noise.
Check out the video above to see how the Sony 4K Action Cam stacks up against the GoPro HERO4 Black.
- Waterproof to three meters
- SteadyShot image stabilization
- Loop recording prevents running out of memory card
- Compact, lightweight design
- Cool accessories cost extra
- Image stabilization can’t be used with highest quality settings
- Some find the menu confusing and hard to navigate
5. Panasonic DMC-TS25D Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD
A lot of people who are shopping for waterproof cameras are thinking about summer use. But it’s also important to think about how your waterproof digital camera will weather colder temps. This is a nice model for both summer and winter use, since it’s freezeproof from 14 degrees Fahrenheit. It also has some nice features, such as time lapse, intelligent zoom, and a simple button for switching between video and still images. The camera is available in orange, black, red, blue, and white.
- Waterproof to 23 feet
- Shockproof from five feet
- Freezeproof from 14 degrees Fahrenheit
- Comes in lots of cool colors
- Not the newest model on our list
- Some may prefer a camera with a larger LCD screen
- Some may need a camera that can go deeper
Find more Panasonic DMC-TS25D Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD information and reviews here.
6. Pentax Optio WG-3 GPS 16MP Waterproof Digital Camera With 3-Inch LCD Screen
Another camera that’s easy to grip when wet, this Pentax camera boasts a cool front-mounted LED clock/altimeter. The rounded edges, ability to withstand low temps, and lanyard carabiner attachment make this ideal for people who want a rugged camera. The 28.8X combined zoom and macro focus ring help capture images at a distance, making this a smart choice for outdoor photography. To enhance your experience with this camera, you might consider picking up one of Pentax’s floating wrist straps as well.
Price: $349.95 and up, depending on color option selected
Go hands-on with this waterproof camera in the in-depth video above.
- Shockproof from 6.5 feet
- Freezeproof from 14 degrees Fahrenheit
- 3-Inch LCD screen
- Disappointing battery life
- Takes OK low light photos, but slow to focus
- Underwater color not true to life
- Flash is dim, slow to recharge
Find more Pentax Optio WG-3 GPS 16MP Waterproof Digital Camera With 3-Inch LCD Screen information and reviews here.
7. Aquashot Underwater Digital Camera
Sometimes, the “best” camera isn’t the best overall, but just the best for a certain niche need. So if you’re in the market for a cheap underwater camera for the kids, this inexpensive camera’s low price tag makes it the perfect worry-free camera. You can give this cheap camera to the kids, ensuring that they’ll keep their mitts off the nice waterproof camera that you spent hundreds of dollars on. For such a cheap camera, it’s actually got some nice features. It can take up to 117 photos, and it is waterproof up to 30 feet. However, this is definitely better suited for the needs of curious kids than professional photographers and “pro-sumer” adults.
- Good for kids
- Nice waterproofing (to 30 feet)
- Older camera
- Old software
- Removing batteries deletes photos
- Not very durable
8. Coleman C12WP 16MP/HD Waterproof Camera
The Coleman brand has long been respected by fans of camping and the great outdoors. This Coleman camera is waterproof, and it can take HD video. There’s a 4x digital zoom, with six different scene modes. With an SD card, you can expand the memory to 16GB. This camera is also a nice choice for those who want an affordable camera that comes with plenty of accessories.
- Waterproof to 10 feet
- Comes with cleaning cloth, carrying case, memory card, float, and more
- Requires AAA batteries, rather than a built-in battery
- Doesn’t record in 4K
- Other cameras have larger LCD screen
9. Nikon COOLPIX S33 Waterproof Digital Camera
This camera is waterproof up to 33 feet, and it’s very user-friendly. The oversized buttons, combined with the simple menus, make this a great waterproof camera for seniors, kids, or digital photography newbies. It is available in blue or white, and boasts a 3x wide-angle NIKKOR glass zoom lens. While the 13.2-MP CMOS sensor is a little less impressive than the sensors on other cameras we’ve featured, it’s still perfectly serviceable for the average consumer.
Price: $126.95 (15 percent off MSRP)
Learn more about this camera in the video above.
- Waterproof up to 33 feet
- Shockproof up to five feet
- Freezeproof from 14 degrees Fahrenheit
- Full HD 1080p videos with stereo sound
- Some may want a camera with more megapixels
- Doesn’t take 4K video
- No optical image stabilization
10. Fujifilm FinePix XP75/XP70-BLUE Waterproof 16.4MP Digital Camera
It’s waterproof, sandproof, dustproof, shockproof (at least from drops of five feet or less), and freezeproof (down to 14 degrees). While this camera doesn’t do 4K, it does support 1080p Full HD recording. Key features here include red eye reduction, face detection technology, OIS, multiple flash settings, and a 5x optical zoom.
You can easily transfer camera images wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet after installing the free FUJIFILM Camera Application app. Rather than dealing with the ID and password settings, you can just press the Wi-Fi button of the back of the camera.
- Waterproof to 33 feet
- Shockproof to 5
- Temperature-resistant all the way down to 14°F
- Face Detection Technology and Optical Image Stabilization
- Continuous shooting/burst mode limits could be higher
- Somewhat expensive
- Doesn’t do 4K
Find more Fujifilm FinePix XP75/XP70-BLUE Waterproof 16.4MP Digital Camera information and reviews here.
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.
Discuss on Facebook