Summer is the season of the movie. People have more free time, it’s a great way to avoid the heat and it is when the big summer blockbusters are in full swing. Wether you want to see a movie in the theaters, read reviews or want to take a crack at making a movie, these five apps will make this the best movie summer ever.
1. Movies by Flixster
Get movie times, reviews and trailers all in the same place. Search by movie title to read the Rotten Tomatoes reviews and get some background on the movie, then plug in your zip code to see where it’s playing near you and buy tickets all from the app. Create a profile and get notified when certain movies are near you, or begin a log of all the movies you own. Connect with your Netflix account and add things to your queue on the go so you don’t forget to do it later. See what’s coming out on DVD and where you can watch it online. Flixster gives you all the tools to become a movie buff.
- Buy movie tickets from the app
- Read reviews and watch trailers
- Look at what’s coming out on DVD soon
- Certain theaters don’t show up
- Need Wifi to watch trailers
- Some pop up ads
IMDB, or International Movie Data Base, lives up to its name. Never struggle to figure out where you know certain actors from or what year a movie came out again. Refer to the app to look up someone’s entire work history as well as get behind the scenes facts about the movie and short bios on each actor. Watch trailers for new movies and read up on reviews to find one you want to see. Search by actor name or movie to look through full cast and crew lists. IMDB is your one stop for everything movie.
- Look through everything an actor has done
- Find trivia and notable quotes about certain movies
- Watch trailers and see reviews
- Banner ads
- Sometimes search doesn’t bring up correct title
- Need to know character name if actor profile doesn’t have a photo
Why just watch movies when you can make them? Download FXGuru and you can add special effects to your home videos. Choose a disaster like satellite crash or alien invasion, line it up with your shot and record a short scene. Then add a filter, the app has everything from blockbuster to night vision so you can set the perfect scene. When everything is set up play your very own adventure movie.
- Add crashes or alien invasions to an ordinary scene
- Choose from a variety of filters
- Share your scenes on social media
- Can only make 30 second scenes
- Takes awhile to produce the scene
- Can use a lot of space on your device
4. Movies by Moviefone
Before smartphones and apps, there was Moviefone. A service where you called a free number and heard all the movie times for your area. Well just like everything else, Moviefone has come into the future and created an easy and free app. It doesn’t feature the famous Moviefone voice but it will give you access to trailers, reviews and movie times. Search by movie title, actor or even what mood your in. Moviefone creates watch lists based on the kind of night you’re having and how you’re feeling.
- Read reviews of movies by you
- Watch trailers
- Get playlists of movies based on your mood
- Can be hard to search
- Have to log in to get Moviefone points
- Sometimes can’t load achievements
5. AMC Theaters
AMC is one of the biggest theater chains in the country and chances are you have one near you, and that’s where the AMC app comes in handy. Enable your location services and the app will list the AMC theaters near you. Each one indicates if it has 3D or IMAX and will show you the movies that are currently playing there. Buy tickets or gift cards right from the app and keep all your AMC Stub information in one place so you can leave your rewards card at home. If you don’t have an AMC near you, check out the Regal app for iPhone and Android.
- Buy tickets and gift cards from the app
- See where the closest AMC is near you and what is playing
- Read reviews and mark your favorites
- Have to log in to use AMC rewards
- Can be hard to navigate
- Sometimes had a hard time searching for zip code
Discuss on Facebook