If you like to listen to music during a workout, using the wrong set of headphones may keep you from performing your best. From cords that can get tangled during activity to weak bass or generally low volume, there are several issues that can make you want to invest in the right pair of workout headphones. If you’re shopping on a budget, you can find several lower priced options with features such as sweat resistance and a built-in mic. Spend a bit more and you will likely find headphones with better overall sound quality and a secure fit. Haven’t found what you’re looking for? Browse more workout headphones for more options.
1. TREBLAB XR100 Bluetooth Earbuds
These noise-cancelling earbuds remain securely in place during workouts of any intensity. You also don’t have to worry about getting tangled up in wires. Active noise cancellation technology, complete with expandable foam ear tips, keeps outside noises and distractions at bay. You can connect these headphones to Bluetooth-enabled devices. Another highlight is high-definition sound with clear treble and bass, which is particularly noteworthy given the affordable price tag.
Price: $59.95 (65 percent off MSRP)
- Noise cancellation technology
- High-definition sound
- Some users find them a bit bulky
- A few complaints regarding poor phone call quality
- Wire between headphones is rather long
2. Bose SoundSport in-ear headphones
Tired of having headphones fall out of your ears because they aren’t the right size? These Bose headphones come in three distinct sizes (small, medium, and large) and conform to the ear’s shape to ensure a snug and comfortable fit. The sports headphones are also sweat and weather-resistant. Also included are an inline microphone and remote for easier music selection and to switch between phone calls.
- Available in three sizes
- Sweat and weather-resistant
- Includes inline microphone
- Bass could be stronger
- Some wish the audio range was better
- Lacks noise cancelling technology
3. SoundPEATS QY7 V4.1 Bluetooth Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports Headphone
If you’re shopping for budget-friendly sports headphones, these earbuds are worth a close look. They’re sweat-proof and ergonomically designed for comfort and performance. Whether you’re running, hiking, working out in the gym, cycling, or performing another type of activity, the earbuds will remain securely in place thanks to the included ear hooks. You can expect around five hours of talk and play time on a single charge. The headphones work with various iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
Price: $22.99 (77 percent off MSRP)
- Comes with ear hooks
- Works with iPhone and Android devices
- Relatively short playback time
- Instruction manual isn’t very specific
- Can take awhile to figure out the proper fit
Find more SoundPEATS QY7 V4.1 Bluetooth Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports Headphone information and reviews here.
4. Powerbeats 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphone
Features of these Beats headphones include a 30 foot range when paired with a Bluetooth device and a rechargeable battery that lasts up to six hours at a time. The headphones are also sweat and water resistant. A non-slip RemoteTalk feature allows you to take hands-free phone calls and adjust your music on the go. The headphones were designed with athletes in mind and are both lightweight and portable. A flexible ear hook keeps the headphones securely in place.
Price: $137.28 (31 percent off MSRP)
- Sweat and water resistant
- Non-slip RemoteTalk control
- Bluetooth range up to 30 feet
- Some complain about subpar sound quality
- Questionable built-in mic quality
- Signal may occasionally get dropped
5. SCOSCHE HFBT300 SportCLIP AIR
These lightweight headphones stay put even during tough workouts with a secure and adjustable fit. Instead of a generic hook that goes around the ear, the ear design is shapeable for a more customized fit. Additionally, the ear tip sizes come in small, medium, and large. A built-in controller and mic gives you wireless control over your music and phone calls. Battery life consists of around seven hours of playtime on a single charge. These workout headphones are also sweatproof.
- Shapeable ear design
- Ear tips come in three sizes
- Built-in controller and mic
- Can take awhile to mold to your ear
- May fall out if not securely in place
- Call quality could be better
6. Beats Solo2 Wireless, Active Collection
Features of these Beats headphones include Bluetooth connectivity and a built-in microphone for phone calls. You can expect the battery to last up to 12 hours on a single charge. The wireless headphones are available in several different colors and offer a crisp and balanced sound. Ear cup padding keeps outside noise at bay and promotes a more comfortable, secure fit. A compact and foldable design makes it easy to take the headphones along on your adventures.
- Built-in mic
- Ear cup padding
- Battery lasts up to 12 hours
- Some complain that they feel a bit heavy
- Ears can get sore after awhile
- Those with a large head may find them tight
7. Jaybird X2 Sport Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
If you need headphones that will stay in place even during the most demanding workouts, this pair is a good bet. A unique X-Fit design lifts the cord off your neck so you don’t have to worry about tangles or snags during a workout. The headphones are sweat proof and feature a lifetime warranty against sweat. Other highlights include an eight-hour battery play time and extra secure fit for sports. Premium ear tips ensure a snug fit regardless of your ear size.
Price: $109.98 (39 percent off MSRP)
- Lifetime sweat warranty
- Premium ear tips for secure fit
- X-Fit design lifts cord off of neck
- Not waterproof
- Can take awhile to find the best fit
- Noise cancelling function could be better
8. Jabra SPORT COACH
These sport headphones are specifically made with cross-training in mind. As the name suggests, you’ll get more than a durable pair of earbuds for your workouts. The headphones come with several ear gels and wings for a custom fit and feature an integrated cross training app for a personalized workout. In addition to a wide range of exercises, from beginner to advanced, you also get to enjoy in-ear coaching. A separate sensor is available if you prefer to combine cross training workouts with running. A separate set of earbuds with a built-in heart rate monitor is also available.
- In-ear coaching
- Best for cross training and running
- Comes with ear gels and wings for a custom fit
- Aren’t noise cancelling
- Some wish the battery life was better
- Lacks a battery indicator
9. Skullcandy Method In-Ear Sweat Resistant Sports Earbud
If you’re looking for an affordable pair of sports earbuds that will stay in place during a workout, consider these Skullcandy headphones. Not only are they sweat resistant, the headphones also come with a unique sticky gel technology for added security and in-ear stability. A completely sealed construction keeps the most vital components of the headphones dry, even during more intense workouts. Other highlights include a single button remote call and mic and a user-friendly cable management clip.
- Sticky gel technology keeps earbuds in place
- Fully sealed anti-sweat construction
- Cable management clip
- Dated L-shaped audio jack
- Earbuds only come in one size
- Remote doesn’t offer volume control
10. Beats Tour 2, Active Collection
The second version of these Beats headphones features a redesigned fit with removable wingtips for a more customized fit. Several pairs of included ear tips and wingtips in different sizes help to personalize the earbuds even more. Other features include tangle-free cables and an inline remote and microphone for added convenience. You can move from one song to the next and take incoming calls without issue.
Price: $99.89 (23 percent off MSRP)
- Comes with wingtips and ear tips in different sizes
- Tangle-free cables
- Includes inline remote and mic
- Some complain about flimsy construction
- Prone to cord noise with movement
- May be too big for those with small ears
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.