As you head out for a day of cycling, the last thing you want to do is drag along a big, heavy hydration pack. Drinking enough fluids is crucial, especially if you’re planning on spending the day riding the local trails. However, you can find a lightweight bag with enough storage space for all your essentials, along with a reservoir that can hold enough fluids for the day.
Many cycling hydration packs feature a breathable mesh material to promote ventilation and keep your skin cool and comfortable, even on the warmest days. If you prefer to have extra storage space, look for a bag with expandable storage or dedicated storage compartments. Many cycling-oriented hydration packs feature convenient exterior helmet storage options. Some also have places to store a blinking light, sunglasses, or tools.
If you’re looking for something else, browse more cycling hydration packs on Amazon for more options.
1. Dakine Men’s Session 12L With Reservoir Backpack
The Dakine Session 12L Backpack is designed with longer trail rides in mind. Highlights include a breathable back panel and shoulder straps to keep skin cool and comfortable along with a fleece-lined pocket for sunglasses. Internal organizer pockets offer a safe and convenient storage solution for smaller items such as keys and an ID. This backpack has a 2-liter (70-ounce) reservoir along with a bite valve for added convenience. An external helmet carry system and integrated rescue whistle is also included.
A smaller version, Dakine Session 8L Backpack, is also available.
- Easy to adjust
- Large reservoir capacity
- Some find the base pack a bit heavy
- Plastic clip closure may wear out over time
- Doesn’t have a designated storage space for a bike pump
2. CamelBak M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack
This CamelBak M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack caters to mountain bikers who need a hydration pack for longer rides. Despite its generous 3-liter/100-ounce capacity, this bag remains lightweight and portable enough for a comfortable ride on the trails. Whether you’re planning a day trip or are just going out for a few hours, handy features such as an overflow storage compartment and reflective accents make the pack a top choice for any outing. A removable stability belt helps keep the pack and its contents secure even on rough trails. External hooks allow for safe exterior helmet storage.
If you’re looking for something a bit smaller, consider the CamelBak Classic Hydration Pack, which has a 2.5-liter/85-ounce capacity.
- Generous 3-liter/100-ounce capacity
- Removable stability belt helps keep contents secure on bumpy rides
- Convenient exterior hooks for helmet storage
- A few complain of water leaks out the top
- Some find it takes quite a bit of effort to start the water flow
- Doesn’t include a rain cover
3. WACOOL Waterproof Hydration Bladder Pack
This hydration pack is a solid choice for the budget-conscious cyclist seeking a durable bag with plenty of storage capacity. The backpack includes a 2-liter/70-ounce water bladder yet is large enough to hold up to a 7-liter bladder pack. Other features include a net for helmet storage and a ventilated system that helps keep your back cool and dry. The backpack has two layers, including a inner layer designed just for holding water. It also comes with adjustable chest and shoulder straps along with waterproof material.
Price: $28.99 (41 percent off MSRP)
- Waterproof construction
- Storage capacity up to 7-liters
- Includes a 2-liter/70-ounce water bladder
- Bladder may produce a plastic taste
- Some wish the bottom strap could be adjusted more
- A few mention the mouthpiece tends to leak
4. Osprey Packs Raptor 14 Hydration Pack
The Osprey Packs Raptor 14 is suitable for mountain biking and day hiking. Features include a stretch harness and hip belt for a more comfortable and secure fit, along with a helmet attachment that securely locks the helmet in place. There’s also a blinker light attachment. A 3-liter/100-ounce capacity ensures you’ll have enough hydration for longer rides on your favorite trails. A removable roll-out tool pouch offers secure storage space for all your tools, and conveniently fits into its own zippered lower pocket.
A women’s version, Osprey Packs Women’s Raven 14 Hydration Pack, is also available.
- Large 3-liter/100-ounce capacity
- Stretch harness and hip belt for a secure fit
- Roll-out tool pouch with its own zippered storage pocket
- Hip belt can’t be tucked away
- Stiff mouthpiece valve
- Some question the long-term reliability of the zippered-style reservoir
5. Shimano Unzen 2 Liter Cycling Hydration Pack
The Shimano Unzen 2 is designed for shorter face-paced rides on your favorite trails. Highlights include a 2-liter/68-ounce capacity and a secure helmet holder. A specially-designed harness hook allows for efficient and speedy adjustments on the go. The hydration compartment is designed to securely hold the reservoir in place at all times. Other features include a light attachment loop in the back and an eyewear holder loop on the shoulder strap.
A slightly larger version, Shimano Unzen 14 Liter Cycling Hydration Pack, is also available.
- Ideal for short, fast-paced rides
- Has a 2-liter/68-ounce capacity
- Adjustable harness and hook holds pack securely in place
- Nozzle can be tricky to figure out initially
- A few riders wish there was more storage space
- Some may find the location of the eyewear holder a bit awkward
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.
Discuss on Facebook