Today is Apple’s big ten anniversary event, where many people are expecting several new models of iPhones to be introduced. We expect to see many new exciting products, and we’ll be updating this post live as they’re introduced, to give you a quick look at what’s new from Apple.
Refresh this page for the latest updates from the live event.
First, we got a look at the new Steve Jobs Theater, along with a tribute to Jobs that left few dry eyes in the room.
Here are the new products introduced:
Watch OS4: Apple introduced a completely redesigned workout app and an Apple Heart Study that will be available on the app store later this year. OS4 will be available on September 19.
Apple Watch Series 3: Today, Apple introduced the Series 3 with cellular built in. You’ll no longer need your iPhone with your watch and it will use the same phone number as your current iPhone. You can also stream 40 million songs on your watch. The face of the watch serves as an antenna, and the size is the same as the Series 2.
One version comes with cellular for $399 and one is without cellular for $329.
Apple TV 4K: Next on the list is Apple TV 4K, with HDR support. If you bought an HD version of a movie, Apple will upgrade it to 4K at no extra cost. The new 4K starts at $179 and is available Sept. 22 (with orders starting Sept. 15.)
Games: A new game called Sky was announced for Apple TV.
iPhone: The moment is here!
First up, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
- New design with glass on front and back, reinforced by steel. The most durable glass ever in a smartphone.
- Silver, space grey, and a new gold finish.
- Water and dust resistant.
- New retina display. 4.7″ and 5.5″
- New stereo speakers.
- Brand new chip: A11 Bionic. 30% faster than A10.
- Cameras: 12 MP camera. iPhone 8 Plus has 12 MP dual cameras.
- Augmented Reality: Custom tuned for AR.
- Wireless Charging using the Qi open wireless standard. All Qi certified chargers should work with iPhone 8, like Mophie and Belkin.
- You can preorder starting Sept. 15 and they’ll be available Sept. 22. The 8 will start at $699 and the 8 Plus will start at $799.
And next… the iPhone X.
- Edge to edge display. Glass on front and back.
- Space grey and silver.
- Super Retina Display: 5.8″ diagonal, OLED technology, supports HDR, 3D touch in the display.
- Can raise to wake or tap the screen.
- No more home button. To go to the home screen, swipe from the bottom, even when using apps. If multitasking, swipe up from the bottom, pause, and you’re in multitasking.
- For Siri, you can still just speak to the phone or you can press in the larger side button.
- To unlock the phone, use FaceID (touch ID is now gone.) This uses a True Depth camera system, including an infrared camera.
- A11 Bionic neural engine: Processes face recognition using machine learning algorithms. Performs over 600 billion operations per second.
- 12 MP dual cameras on the back, and a TrueDepth front-facing camera for great selfies in portrait mode as well.
- Lasts two hours longer than iPhone 7.
- Wireless charging using Qi open wireless standard. And an air power charger available next year.
- Cost: Starts at $999
- You can preorder starting October 27 and it will start to ship November 3.
We’ll update this post as more products are announced.
Which product are you most excited about?