With Week 2 of the Alliance of American Football underway, fans were treated to a game between two teams who picked up victories in their openers. The Steve Spurrier-led Orlando Apollos faced the San Antonio Commanders in a matchup featuring two of the league’s better quarterbacks.
Both the Apollos and Commanders have talented offensive groups, and they were on display at various points through the early stages of this game. After Orlando rolled past the Atlanta Legends 40-6 in Week 1, they were favored over San Antonio, who knocked off the San Diego Fleet 15-6.
In Orlando’s opening victory, it was quarterback Garrett Gilbert’s 227 passing yards and two touchdowns that led the way. Wide receiver’s Charles Johnson (four catches, 60 yards) and Jalin Marshall (three catches, 51 yards, one touchdown) also impressed while running back Akeem Hunt totaled 73 yards on 10 carries.
On the other side, San Antonio quarterback Logan Woodside racked up 255 yards in the opener, but couldn’t find the end zone and threw two interceptions. The wide receivers took center stage, as Mekale McKay (five catches, 80 yards), Alonzo Moore (three catches, 78 yards) and Greg Ward Jr. (five catches, 65 yards) all had solid showings.
We’re going to dive into the highlights for this game along with an updated look at the score. Following the game, a breakdown of the final stats will be provided as well.
Updated Score & Highlights: Orlando vs. San Antonio
Kenneth Farrow Puts Commanders on Board First: 6-0
De’Marcus Ayers With the One-Handed Grab
Evan Rodriguez Extends San Antonio’s Lead: 12-0
De’Von Smith TD Run Cuts Into Lead: 12-8
Jalin Marshall With Long Gain For Apollos
After Field Goal, Charles Johnson TD Gives Apollos Lead: 17-15
Two Field Goals & Defensive TD Later, San Antonio Takes Over: 29-17
Garrett Gilbert Hits Jalin Marshall to Tie Game: 29-29
Pick-Six Gives Apollos Lead During Fourth Quarter: 37-29
Final score: 37-29 Orlando Apollos
Orlando Apollos vs. San Antonio Commanders Final Notable Stats
*All stats and box scores from No Extra Points
- ORL: Garrett Gilbert – 19/28 for 393 yards, two touchdowns
- SA: Logan Woodside – 20/39 for 223 yards, one touchdown, one interception
- ORL: D’Ernest Johnson – eight carries, 57 yards
- SA: Kenneth Farrow – 13 carries, 74 yards, one touchdown
Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
- ORL: Charles Johnson – seven catches, 192 yards, one touchdown
- ORL: Jalin Marshall – three catches, 84 yards, one touchdown
- ORL: Chris Thompson – two catches, 70 yards
- SA: De’Marcus Ayers – five catches, 80 yards
- ORL: Mark Myers – six tackles, two passes defensed
- ORL: Reggie Northrup – six tackles (one for loss), one pass defensed
- ORL: LaDarius Gunter – five tackles (one for loss), one pass defensed
- ORL: Keith Reaser – two tackles, three passes defensed, one interception, one touchdown
- ORL: Anthony Moten Jr. – two tackles (two for loss), one sack
- SA: De’Vante Bausby – four tackles, one pass defensed
- SA: Shaan Washington – two tackles, one sack
- SA: Jayrone Elliott – one tackle, one sack, one forced fumble
- SA: Austin Larkin – one tackle, one sack, one pass defensed
- SA: Winston Craig – one tackle, one sack
- ORL: Elliott Fry – 3/3, long of 47
- SA: Nick Rose – 3/3, long of 50