Electric can openers add an element of convenience to any kitchen. Whether you’re suffering from arthritis or could use the extra time normally spent trying to open up cans yourself, an automatic can opener could be just what you need. There are many different types to choose from, including ones designed to fit under the cabinet or that are made for opening up taller cans. Some electric can openers come with extra features, such as cord storage or a knife sharpener. If you still haven’t found what you need, browse more electric can openers for a wider selection.
1. Hamilton Beach 76606ZA Smooth Touch Can Opener
This Hamilton Beach can opener works with cans of nearly any size. In fact, it also opens up pop-top cans. Highlights include a convenient side-cutting system that successfully removes tops while leaving a smooth edge behind and a large ergonomic lever for simple operation. All you need to do is lightly touch the level and the can will open. If you decide to leave this can opener on the counter top, its modern chrome and black design will make a stylish addition to your kitchen.
Price: $25.90 (14 percent off MSRP)
- Works with cans of any size
- User-friendly operation
- Leaves smooth edges
- May struggle on cans with thick rims
- Lid cutting method makes it tough to strain can’s contents when done
- Can be tough to tell when the rotation is done
2. West Bend 77203 Electric Can Opener
This West Bend product is more than just an electric can opener, as it includes both a bottle opener and a knife sharpener in the back. The 70-watt can opener has ample power to handle regular cans and taller ones. It also stands out for its slender yet sturdy design. Other features include automatic shutoff and a built-in cord storage. This can opener is made from aluminum, plastic, and chrome.
Price: $33.11 (23 percent off MSRP)
- Includes bottle opener and knife sharpener
- Can handle extra-tall cans
- 70 watts
- Initial learning curve
- Tends to shred can labels
- Some complain of quality issues
3. Cuisinart CCO-50N Deluxe Electric Can Opener
If you’re looking for a stylish electric can opener that can handle a standard size can, this product is worth a close look. Components such as a precise yet powerful blade and sturdy magnetic lid holder ensure that each can is opened with ease. You also won’t have to worry about this can opener sliding or tipping during use thanks to its wide base. Chrome accents give the can opener a modern touch.
- Wide base prevents sliding and slipping
- Magnetic lid holder
- Works for standard size cans
- Handle is a bit thin
- Can be hard to properly line up cans
- Some complain that it’s noisy
4. Proctor Silex Plus 76370P Extra-Tall Can Opener
As its name suggests, this electric can opener is ideal for opening even the tallest cans. As an added bonus it also successfully opens lids on the first try. Although the cutting lever can get messy during operation, it can be removed for cleaning. A combination of a magnetic lid holder and a durable blade keeps each can tightly in place. A knife sharpener is included.
Price: $14.59 (34 percent off MSRP)
- Opens lids on first try
- Includes a knife sharpener
- Ideal for tall cans
- Can struggle on cans with smaller lips
- Occasionally drops larger cans
- Some complain that the edges aren’t always smooth
5. BLACK+DECKER Space Maker Traditional Multi-Purpose Can Opener
If you’re looking for a way to save space in your kitchen, an under the counter electric can opener can be the right investment. This can opener can be attached to the underside of a cabinet to avoid cluttering your counter tops. It’s also easy to install and comes with a mounting template. You’ll get a variety of use out of this can opener, which also includes a bottle opener, knife sharpener, and bag cutter. A swing-open door adds an element of convenience yet conceals the interior compartments.
Price: $24.98 (18 percent off MSRP)
- Can be installed under cabinets
- Includes a bottle opener, bag cutter, and knife sharpener
- Easy to install
- A bit noisy
- Blade can’t be replaced
- Bag slicer is in awkward location
Find more BLACK+DECKER Space Maker Traditional Multi-Purpose Can Opener information and reviews here.
6. Chef’s Star Smooth Edge Automatic Electric Can Opener
Those who have trouble opening cans will appreciate the user-friendly operation of this electric can opener. All you need to do is place the can opener on top of the can, making sure that the opening mechanism is touching the edge. Then, press the button to start and the can opener will take over. A side-cutting mechanism removes the top of nearly any can. You can use this electric can opener on cans of any size.
Price: $19.99 (57 percent off MSRP)
- Hands-free operation
- Works on cans of any size
- Side-cutting mechanism
- Doesn’t automatically stop
- Initial learning curve
- Some wish it was faster
7. Proctor-Silex 75217F Power Can Opener
You can open cans up to seven inches tall with this electric can opener. For added convenience, a knife sharpener is included. Another handy feature is push-in cord storage. Although the cutting lever gets messy over time, you’ll be able to remove it for cleaning when necessary. A magnetic grips the can then helps to lift the lid off once the process is complete.
Price: $13.05 (23 percent off MSRP)
- Works with cans up to seven inches tall
- Comes with a knife sharpener
- Push-in cord storage
- Not great with bent or damaged cans
- Knife sharpener seems a bit flimsy
- Cutting attachment falls of easily
8. Hamilton Beach 76380Z Classic Chrome Heavyweight Can Opener
A removable cutting unit makes clean-up easier. This electric can opener also comes with extras, including cord storage to keep your counter tops clutter-free and a knife sharpener. It also shuts off automatically when done. An extra-tall design ensures that even taller cans will be opened with ease. The can opener uses a unique device to help open up cans on the first try. Space-conscious consumers will appreciate this can opener’s slender design.
- Removable cutting unit
- Auto shut-off
- Includes cord storage and knife sharpener
- Larger and heavier cans may need extra support
- Chrome components are plastic
- Text here
9. Oster 3147 Tall Can Opener
Some electric can openers don’t have the height to open up taller cans. This Oster can opener isn’t one of them. A powerful cutting mechanism pierces each lid, ensuring easy opening. The product also comes with a built-in knife sharpener and cord storage. You won’t have to worry about trying to figuring out the best time to stop this can opener thanks to an auto stop feature. A magnetic lid lifting mechanism allows lids to be opened safely and securely.
Price: $17.88 (11 percent off MSRP)
- Ideal for taller cans
- Built-in knife sharpener and cord storage
- Magnetic lid lifter
- Power cord isn’t retractable
- May struggle with smaller cans
- Can take awhile to get cans started
10. Handy Can Opener Automatic One Touch Electric Can Opener
This compact electric can opener helps to save space and allows for hands-free operation. All you need to do to get started is place the can opener on the lid. Then, it will make its way around the top to completely remove the lid. Don’t worry about monitoring the can opener towards the end, as it shuts off automatically. The lid is cut in such a way that you can place the cut lid back on the can to save any leftovers.
- Compact size
- Easy to use
- Auto shut-off
- Relatively short battery life
- Blade needs to be readjusted if lid isn’t cut properly
- Some find it tough to properly align the can opener
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.