Reed Kelly and Josh Canfield are a vivacious, gay couple from New York City who are competing on Survivor 2014. Read on for all the facts on them below …
1. They Are Broadway Professionals
Josh’s biggest accomplishment in life is writing and directing his first musical in London, while his boyfriend Reed is a professional Broadway performer as well as aerialist. Reed even has a Broadway-related charity that he raises money for, telling CBS that his “claim to fame” is:
Having raised over $130,000 for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS to date via my personal fundraising group Team Yellow Bucket. I also cook a really great steak and I am an experienced hugger.
You may have seen Reed Kelly as Spiderman on Broadway.
2. Both Of Them Have a Lot of Pet Peeves
Some of the contestants may get on the nerves of Josh and Reed because these guys seem to have a lot of little annoyances. Josh lists his pet peeves as:
Idiots, loud Americans in foreign countries, most audition waiting rooms, people who will only see one side of an argument and many more.
Reed, on the other hand, lists these as his annoyances:
Slow walkers on the sidewalks of NYC, exceedingly slow baristas and lazy individuals who don’t utilize the gifts/opportunities they have been given.
Reed also says that he’s a perfectionist and over-achiever.
3. Reed Is Inspired By his Mother
While Josh’s inspiration is his father, Reed’s inspiration is his mother. Reed tells CBS about his inspiration, stating:
My mom. She is an incredible woman who humbly strives to care for and shape the future and the present, of thousands of students and staff daily. She manages to do this while also being an amazing and supportive mother/wife on a daily basis. How can one not be inspired by this?
Josh, in turn, talks about his father, saying:
My dad. He has always treated my mother with respect and admiration and through selflessness has shown what marriage was intended to look like.
4. Neither Guy Wants to Compare Themselves to Survivor Players of the Past
Both Josh and Reed feel that they bring their own unique qualities to the game and don’t compare themselves to players from past seasons. When Josh was asked what Survivor player he was most like, he stated:
There hasn’t been any one like me. I’m going to pave my own way.
Reed’s response was:
Yikes. Hopefully I will be unlike anyone thus far (in a good way), but if I had to pick: Malcolm Freberg and Stephenie LaGrossa for their hyper-competitiveness and athleticism; Bob Crowley for his nerdy science knowledge and ingenuity; and Lisa Whelchel for her faith.
5. They Are Both Religious
When asked what three things each of them would bring on the island if they could, they both replied with the bible as their number one item. Reed replied to CBS with:
1) My Bible – because man cannot live by bread (or rice) alone. 2) My pillow – because it would be a super comfy piece of home and I perform better well rested. 3) A mirror – because sometimes as a dancer you have to be able to look at yourself in the eye and say “pull up and push through! You’re not actually that hungry.” I think this would work well for me as a Survivor castaway too.
Josh’s response was:
1) Bible – the Scripture would help in dealing with difficult circumstances 2) Piano – so that I could write songs and sing. 3) iPod – life without music is just depressing.
Discuss on Facebook