In Breath of the Wild, you’ll collect a lot of things during your adventure and it’ll overwhelm your inventory.
One thing you’ll come across in your journey is ancient material. These ancient materials include springs, shafts, screws and cores. You’ll notice these sell for a decent buck at a merchant but it’s actually better if you hang onto these materials because they can be useful later on for making ancient armor and weapons for your fights against guardians. You’ll be able to upgrade your shiekah slate using ancient materials too.
Here’s how to get ancient equipment in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Where Do I Get Ancient Materials?
The first order of business when crafting ancient items is gathering the materials for them.
You’ll be able to find the materials on deactivated guardians, killing live guardians or by tapping the guardian amiibo onto your joy con or gamepad and you’ll sometimes find them in treasure chests. You’ll see plenty of guardians waiting to hunt you down around Hyrule Castle and a lot more on the actual castle grounds if you’re willing to stray that far.
Once you do this, you’ll find yourself with a good stockpile of ancient materials and it’ll be time to create some ancient gear.
Where Do I Make Ancient Equipment?
The Akkala Ancient Tech Lab is found at the far northeast of the map of Hyrule. The closest tower is Akkala Tower but it’ll still be a good distance out from the tower. Along the way, you’ll come across the East Akkala Stable and Katosa Aug Shrine. Be sure you pick up that shrine’s waypoint in case you die along the way to the lab so you won’t have to start completely over.
You’ll be given a short quest once you get there, much like you were at the lab in Hateno Village. You’ll have to light the furnace again with the blue flame and once you do that, you’ll be in business.
How Much Does Ancient Equipment Cost?
After you finish the quest, you’ll be able to talk to some robot statue thing inside the tech lab and he’ll create ancient gear for you. Here’s how much you’ll be charged for the various items:
- Ancient Arrow
- 2 Ancient Screws, 1 Ancient Shaft, 1 Arrow, 90 Rupees
- Ancient Arrow x3
- 6 Ancient Screws, 3 Ancient Shafts, 3 Arrows, 250 Rupees
- Ancient Arrow x5
- 5 Ancient Springs, 5 Ancient Shafts, 5 Arrows, 400 Rupees
The arrows will be able to take down a guardian with a single arrow to the eye so it’s good to keep a few of those on hand.
- Ancient Short Sword
- 15 Ancient Springs, 5 Ancient Shafts, 2 Ancient Cores, 1,000 Rupees
- Ancient Shield
- 10 Ancient Gears, 15 Ancient Springs, 1 Ancient Core, 1,000 Rupees
- Ancient Bladesaw
- 15 Ancient Screws, 5 Ancient Shafts, 2 Ancient Cores, 1,000 Rupees
- Ancient Spear
- 15 Ancient Gears, 5 Ancient Shafts, 2 Ancient Cores, 1,000 Rupees
- Ancient Bow
- 10 Ancient Gears, 15 Ancient Springs, 1 Giant Ancient Core, 1,000 Rupees
The ancient weapons are quickly able to immobilize a guardian by swiftly cutting its legs off. They are also safe to have out during thunderstorms.
- Ancient Helm
- 20 Ancient Gears, 5 Ancient Shafts, 3 Ancient Cores, 2,000 Rupees
- Ancient Cuirass
- 20 Ancient Gears, 5 Ancient Screws, 3 Ancient Cores, 2,000 Rupees
- Ancient Greives
- 20 Ancient Gears, 5 Ancient Springs, 3 Ancient Cores, 2,000 Rupees.
The armor begins with a base defense of four with each piece but there’s a bonus that gives you a resistance to guardian attacks so it’ll be easier to take them on in the future.