You may have noticed a patch when you booted up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe today. The patch targets mostly online functions but it does include an update that allows players to unlock a new suit for their Mii driver using Pikmin amiibo. There’s a new Pikmin amiibo coming out soon so it will likely work with the game as well.
This is the second patch to hit Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since launch, with the first being back in May. The update should install automatically if your Nintendo Switch is connected to the internet. You’ll know the update has installed based on the version number displayed in the title screen. You must download the update to play online since the update mostly targets the online mode.
Here are the full patch notes for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update 1.2:
- Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
- Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
- Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
- In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
- Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
- When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
- Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
- Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.
- The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
- Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
- No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
- Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.