At the beginning Week 16, nine NFC teams had an opportunity to make the postseason. The New Orleans Saints were eliminated from playoff contention with a 30-14 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.
After Sunday’s Week 16 1 p.m. games, here is the NFC’s updated playoff picture:
The Division Leaders:
1. Seattle Seahawks — 11-4 (Clinched playoff berth, defeated ARZ 35-6)
2. Detroit Lions — 11-4 (Clinched playoff berth, defeated CHI 20-14)
3. Dallas Cowboys — 11-4 (Clinched NFC East)
4. Carolina Panthers — 6-8-1 — (Defeated CLE 17-13, play @ATL next week and winner wins the NFC South)
The Wild Card Contenders:
5. Green Bay Packers — 11-4 — (Clinched playoff berth, defeated TB 20-3, host DET next week and winner wins NFC North)
6. Arizona Cardinals — 11-4 — (Clinched playoff berth, lost to SEA 35-6)
On the Outside Looking In:
7. Atlanta Falcons — 6-9 (Defeated NO 30-14, Host CAR next week and win NFC South with win)
If the Seahawks defeat the Rams next weekend, they will win the NFC West and earn the NFC’s No. 1 seed throughout the postseason if Dallas loses.
The winner of the Lions vs. Packers game next weekend wins the NFC North and earns a 1st-round bye in the postseason.