A baby swing is a great weapon to have in your parenting arsenal, especially if you were blessed with a baby who loves to sleep on you and cries when you put her down. Baby swings come with all kinds of bells and whistles these days, and at all different price points, and there are so many ways to soothe a fussy baby right to sleep. We tried out a secondhand swing with our firstborn, and he didn’t love it—I can still remember his grumpy face as he gave me the side-eye while the swing propelled him back and forth. Instead, he loved his Fisher-Price Snuggapuppy vibrating bouncer; it always helped him to sleep, and made him so relaxed that he would often poop when he was lying in it. However, so many parents I know swear by baby swings, and the newer models are even sleeker and comfier than the one we tested out.
In addition to a swing, you will probably also need an activity mat for playtime, so check out some of our favorites. And while you’re finishing up your nursery, take a look at our top 10 best nursery hampers and our top 10 best changing tables with drawers.
If you’re still deciding which swing to add to your baby registry, this list should help you narrow it down. I’ve compiled the most popular, most highly rated baby swings on the market at a variety of price points. Happy shopping!
1. Best Battery Life Baby Swing: Ingenuity ConvertMe Ridgedale Swing-2-Seat
The Ingenuity ConvertMe Ridgedale Swing-2-Seat is a foldable battery-op swing that retails for under $70. It is powered by a technology that maximizes battery use, which means the battery life should be up to three times longer than other baby swings. This model has five swing speeds, soothing vibrations, eight melodies and three nature sounds for the ultimate in relaxation. This product does not plug into the wall, so you are limited to the battery setup. Some consumers complain that the vibrations are not very strong. The Ingenuity swing does not have adequate head support for newborns, and it is not recommended for babies once they are able to sit up on their own, so there is a relatively small window where this product will be useful. However, it is one of the lowest priced swings on the market.
Price: $69.97 (22 percent off MSRP)
- Folds flat for travel and easy storage
- Batteries last up to three times longer as compared to other swings
- Five swing speeds, soothing vibrations, eight melodies and three nature sounds
- No AC adapter
- Vibration is not very strong
- Not recommended for babies once they can sit up on their own
- Not enough head support for newborns
2. Best Baby Swing with Removable Bouncer: Graco Glider Elite Baby Swing
The Graco Glider Elite Baby Swing is an innovative product that soothes baby with the same familiar motion you use when cuddling baby in your nursery glider. It’s two products in one: a gentle gliding swing as well as a removable bouncer with a handle to transport baby into whatever room you’re in. This swing is safe for babies from five and a half to 30 pounds. The small frame design uses 40% less space than the average swing, so it will fit into smaller spaces. You can plug this machine directly into the wall or use batteries if you are not close to an outlet. The major complaints seem to be that the music that comes with the swing is not very soothing, and even somewhat annoying; the swing makes a loud sound when in operation; and you need batteries in order for the vibration mechanism to work, even though the swing is advertised as functioning from a wall plug.
Price: from $180.59
- Swing seat doubles as a removable bouncer
- Soothes with the same familiar motion you use when cuddling baby in your nursery glider
- Small frame uses 40% less space than the average swing, so it fits into most rooms
- Plugs in or uses batteries
- Loud sounds when it is swinging
- Music and sounds not very soothing
- Needs batteries for vibration mechanism to work
3. Best Baby Swing for Small Spaces: 4moms rockaRoo Baby Swing
The 4moms rockaRoo Baby Swing is a smaller, more inexpensive version of the very highly rated mamaRoo swing (reviewed below). This version is about one-third the size of the typical baby swing, so it’s great for small spaces. The rockaRoo has a back-to-front rocking motion instead of the traditional side-to-side, which some babies love; parents don’t always like this because it means you can’t place the swing right next to the wall when in use. The seat cover is removable and machine-washable, making cleanup a breeze (which you will need if your baby likes to poop in her swing like mine did in his bouncer!). This machine has a built-in MP3 player plug, so you can play any music or white noise you have downloaded to your MP3 player. Some cons include that the motor is somewhat loud, the swing is on the small side so baby may grow out of it quickly, and the attached mobile is kind of plain and uninteresting to babies.
- Front-to-back gliding motion with five speeds
- One-third the size of traditional swings with sleek, modern design
- Removable, machine-washable seat fabric
- MP3 player plug-in
- Loud motor
- Fairly small, so baby will likely grow out of it quickly
- Mobile isn’t very exciting for babies
- Cannot use against a wall due to back and forward gliding motion
4. Best Collapsible Baby Swing: Ingenuity Power Adapt Portable Swing
The Ingenuity Power Adapt Portable Swing is similar to the Ingenuity ConvertMe Swing, reviewed above. The major differences are 1.) in this version the seat isn’t removable, so there is no detachable bouncer, and 2.) this version has a power adapter, so you can save money on batteries when you have a place to plug the swing into the wall. The Ingenuity Power Adapt Portable Swing folds flat for easy storage and transport. My favorite feature is the weight-sensing technology that allows baby’s favorite speed to remain consistent, even as she gains weight and gets heavier. This is a fairly affordable swing at around $90. A minor complaint is that the toy bar faces away from baby, making it mostly useless. It is on the smaller side, so larger babies may grow out of it quickly. Finally, the automatic timer shuts the machine off after one hour, which can wake up a peacefully slumbering baby.
- Portable swing that can plug into wall or use batteries on-the-go
- Folds flat for easy storage and transport
- Weight-sensing technology means baby’s favorite speed will remain consistent, even as baby gets bigger
- Toys on toy bar face away from baby
- On the smaller side, so larger babies will grow out of it quickly
- Stops automatically after one hour, which can wake a sleeping baby
- Swing rubs frame on bottom when in motion, making a clicking noise, according to one consumer
5. Best Baby Swing with Wall Adapter: Graco Glider LX Gliding Swing
The Graco Glider LX Gliding Swing is similar to the Graco Glider Elite, reviewed above, but it is roomier and the seat has a plush body and three recline levels for ultimate comfort. This model holds babies weighing up to 30 pounds. The Grace Glider LX Gliding Swing uses the same gentle motion you use when rocking baby in your nursery glider. The frame is 40% smaller than other leading swings, so it should fit nicely into small spaces. This model plugs in or uses batteries, so take your pick. Consumers complain that the music isn’t very soothing, the machine is loud when running and the mobile sometimes pops off. This swing is not portable.
Price: $109.75 (22 percent off MSRP)
- Roomier than other Graco models with plush body support and three recline levels for comfort
- Glides with same gentle motion you use when rocking baby in your nursery glider
- Frame uses 40% less space than other leading baby swings, so it should fit in most rooms
- Plugs in or runs on batteries
- Music is not very soothing
- Machine is loud when running
- The mobile sometimes pops off
- Not portable
6. Best Affordable Baby Swing: Comfort & Harmony Cozy Kingdom Portable Swing
The Comfort & Harmony Cozy Kingdom Portable Swing is a super affordable and lightweight swing that is ideal for travel. It folds up very small and transports easily. True speed technology maintains six speeds as baby grows and gains weight. The seat pad and head support are machine washable. This swing cannot be picked up easily with one hand because the toy bar tends to pop off. Some consumers complain that there are only two positions of incline for the seat, and that there should be one in between. This model runs on batteries with no wall adapter. It is not recommended for infants over four months.
Price: $50.17 (28 percent off MSRP)
- Very inexpensive
- True speed technology maintains six speeds as baby grows
- Machine washable seat pad and head support
- Cannot pick up with one hand because toy bar easily pops off
- Only two choices for seat position/incline
- Does not have a wall adapter
- Not recommended for infants over four months
7. Best Three-Position Baby Swing: Graco DuetSoothe Swing & Rocker
The Graco DuetSoothe Swing and Rocker is a dual-purpose machine that functions as both a swing and a rocker. The swing has three positions so baby can swing side-to-side or front to back. It plugs directly into wall to save you money on batteries, but can also run directly on batteries if you’re not near a plug. The two-speed vibration only works in battery mode. Some consumers report that their swings start to make a creaking sound after a certain amount of time when they are in operation. This product has a larger footprint than many other top-rated swings, and it’s on the heavy side at 17.9 pounds. This product is designed to hold babies up to 30 pounds.
- Removable seat does double duty as swing and rocker
- Three swinging positions so baby can swing side-to-side or front-to-back
- Uses batteries or plugs into wall
- Vibration with two speed settings
- Some swings start to creak after a certain amount of time
- A little on the heavy side at 17.9 pounds
- Vibration only works with batteries
- Swing has a large footprint, not so easy to transport
8. Best Fully-Loaded Baby Swing: Fisher-Price Snugabunny Cradle ‘N Swing with Smart Swing Technology
The Fisher-Price Snugabunny Cradle ‘N Swing with Smart Swing Technology is a non-portable swing that operates on batteries or by plugging into the wall. It has many great features, including a motorized mobile with a mirrored globe and birdie toys to stimulate baby and help her develop facial recognition. The seat is deep and cozy, and it sports six swing speeds, as well as two recline positions, three seat positions, 16 songs and soothing nature sounds. Some consumers report a noisy grinding sound upon starting up the swing. This swing is not meant to be portable, and it weighs in at 24.9 pounds, which is on the heavy side for baby swings. It will hold babies weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Rocks side-to-side and back-to-front
- Motorized mobile with mirrored globe and birdie toys to help baby develop facial recognition
- Deep, cozy seat
- Six swing speeds, two recline positions, three seat positions, 16 songs and soothing nature sounds
- Somewhat heavy at 24.9 pounds
- Maxes out at 25 pounds
- Some consumers report a noisy grinding sound at start
- Not foldable/portable
Find more Fisher-Price Snugabunny Cradle ‘N Swing with Smart Swing Technology information and reviews here.
9. Best Bluetooth-Enabled Baby Swing: 4moms mamaRoo Baby Swing
The 4moms mamaRoo Baby Swing is a modern, high-tech swing with a couple innovations not found in other swings. First, it has five unique motions that mimic the movements parents make when soothing their baby: car ride, kangaroo, tree swing, rock-a-bye and wave. (See the video below for a demonstration of each setting.) Second, this swing is Bluetooth enabled so you can control the motion and the sounds wirelessly, and it has a connection for your MP3 player. The cover is machine washable, and overall the mamaRoo has a small footprint and a pretty, modern design that moms and dads love. This is the most expensive swing on the list, but it’s a popular and highly rated swing because it offers features that no other swing on the market offers. The swing has a somewhat shallow seat, and it maxes out when baby reaches 25 pounds. This model plugs into the wall to operate and does not have a battery option.
- Five unique motions that move as parents do when comforting their baby (car ride, kangaroo, tree swing, rock a bye, wave)
- Bluetooth enabled to control motion and sound wirelessly, as well as MP3 connection
- Machine-washable seat fabric
- Small footprint and pretty, modern design
- More expensive
- Seat is somewhat shallow
- Maxes out at 25 pounds
- No battery option, so must be near a wall outlet
10. Best Room-to-Room Baby Swing: Fisher-Price 4-in-1 Rock ‘n Glide Soother
The Fisher-Price 4-in-1 Rock ‘n Glide Soother has four different motions to help soothe baby—it moves head-to-toe and side-to-side, both as as swing and as a removable rocker that also vibrates. You can easily carry the rocker from room to room as you move throughout your home. This machine has a foot pedal so that parents can change settings without having to bend over. The soft plush seat cover and head rest are removable and machine-washable. The Rock ‘n Glide Soother plugs into the wall or runs on batteries, depending on your needs. The vibration setting only works when the machine is operating with batteries. Some consumers complain that the gliding mechanism can be jerky and that the swing can sometimes make loud sounds. This product maxes out when baby reaches 20 pounds.
Price: $95.62 (32 percent off MSRP)
- Four different rock ‘n glide motions to help soothe baby; moves head-to-toe or side-to-side
- Converts into a portable infant rocker
- Plugs into wall or runs on batteries
- Foot pedal so you can change settings without bending over
- Maxes out at 20 pounds
- Vibration setting only works with batteries
- Gliding mechanism can be jerky
- Some consumers complain of loud sounds when in motion
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.
Discuss on Facebook