Congratulations on making it to the potty-training stage of parenthood; it’s a rite of passage, and it can be very stressful, especially if it’s your first time. Once you’re ready to graduate from baby diapers, it’s time to start shopping for a training pant that works for your kiddo. In my experience, kids achieve potty-training success when you praise good behavior, don’t make a huge deal out of accidents and, importantly, set them up with interesting and exciting accessories, such as a good training potty (I love the Baby Bjorn potty) and fun training pants. The keys to look for in a good training pant are comfort, leak protection and whether your kid can pull them on and off easily. Once you find a brand you like, you can save 15% by signing up for Subscribe & Save on Amazon and setting up a monthly delivery.
If you’ve got a toddler or preschooler, now may be the time to start thinking about moving to a booster seat; you can peruse our top 10 best high back booster seats here.
Check out the top 10 best potty training pants for toddlers below. I’ve put together the most popular, most highly rated training pants with price comparisons by the unit. Although every brand is sized slightly differently, I have tried to match up the sizes whenever possible to give the most accurate per-unit price comparisons, using a size 3T-4T as the standard. However, I have also included a couple of popular training pants brands for older kids who need protection at night.
1. Best Eco-Friendly Training Pants: Bambo Nature Premium Baby Diapers Training Pant (Size 6)
Bambo Nature Premium Baby Diapers Training Pants come in sizes 5 and 6. Unfortunately, these do not come in a smaller size. Bambo Nature makes an eco-friendly training pant with the express purpose of minimizing allergic reactions and diaper rash in children. This training pant has a breathable back-sheet, which ensures that the skin can breathe, keeping it drier. These training pants are free from chlorine, perfumes, optical brighteners and lotions. The inner material is made from timber that comes from 100% certified sustainable resources. Although the training pants are said to be ultra-absorbent for both day and night use, some parents have complained that they leak when used overnight; this may be an issue with sizing rather than absorbency. At $0.55 per unit, these training pants are priced pretty well for the size 6, but the size 5 is currently much more expensive.
Price: $9.98 for set of 18 ($0.55 per unit)
- Super soft training pant that is designed to minimize risk of allergies and diaper rash
- Ultra-absorbent for day and night use
- Only two sizes available, 5 and 6
- Size 5 much more expensive than size 6
- Some consumers complain of nighttime leaks
2. Cutest Training Pants: The Honest Company Training Pants (Size 3T-4T)
The Honest Company, well known for their adorable diaper designs, also makes a training pant with equally cute patterns and colors. These training pants are made from plant-based materials that are gentle on sensitive skin. They don’t use any harsh chemical bleaches or chlorine processing. The training pants have easy tear-away sides for better fit and convenience. They are ultra thin and flexible, meant to mimic cloth as much as possible. These training pants are on the more expensive side at $0.86 per unit. Some consumers complain that they run small and that they are not as absorbent as other brands.
Price: $19.79 for set of 23 ($0.86 per unit)
- Adorable, fun designs
- Plant-based inner and outer layers are gentle on sensitive skin
- Easy tear-away sides for better fit and convenience
- Some consumers complain they run small
- Not as absorbent as some other brands
3. Best Disposable Training Pants for Boys: Pull-Ups Learning Designs Training Pants for Boys (Size 3T-4T)
Pull-Ups Learning Designs Training Pants for Boys come with a Disney Pixar co-branded Lightning McQueen design. They are designed for day and night protection with extra absorbency where boys need it most. The sides are soft and stretchy to make them feel more like underwear and assist in the transition from training pants to underwear. Depending on what your kid is into, the co-branded design may or may not appeal to them, so this training pant is limited in that it only has one design choice. These diapers are not eco-friendly, but the price is less than half per unit of the comparable eco-friendly brands. Some consumers complain of overnight leaks.
Price: $23.74 for set of 66 ($0.36 per unit) | Save an extra $3 off your first delivery with an Amazon coupon
- All around day and night protection with extra absorbency where boys need it
- Soft, stretchy sides and tear-away tabs for convenience
- Disney Pixar graphics featuring Lightning McQueen from Cars
- Not eco-friendly
- Only one choice of design and it is co-branded
- Some consumers complain of leaks
Find more Pull-Ups Learning Designs Training Pants for Boys (Size 3T-4T) information and reviews here.
4. Best Training Pants for Older Girls: Pampers UnderJams Bedtime Underwear Girls (Size S-M)
Pampers UnderJams Bedtime Underwear for Girls are designed for slightly bigger kids who still need nighttime protection from leaks. The size S-M fits children weighing from 38-65 pounds. These training pants are discreet—the waist is low, so they don’t stick up above pants. They are designed to fit like underwear, allowing skin to breathe. Pampers UnderJams are equipped with Nightlock protection, which works hard to absorb liquid all night long. These training pants are not eco-friendly, and although they are more affordable than eco brands, they are still more expensive as compared to other non eco-friendly brands. Some consumers complain that the material is a bit flimsy and that the tabs rip after one use, so if your child stays dry for a night then they cannot be reused.
Price: $24.88 for set of 50 ($0.50 per unit) | Save an extra $2 off your first delivery with an Amazon coupon
- Nightlock protection is great for absorbing liquid overnight
- Designed like underwear to let skin breathe
- Low waist so they don’t stick up above pants
- More expensive as compared to other non eco-friendly brands
- Not eco-friendly
- Material is a little flimsy and sides tend to rip after one use
5. Best Odor-Absorbing Training Pants: GoodNites Bedtime Bedwetting Underwear for Girls (Size S-M)
GoodNites Bedtime Bedwetting Underwear for Girls are another brand of overnight training pants for older kids who are already daytime-trained. GoodNites is the number one brand when it comes to nighttime protection for helping kids manage overnight bed wetting. This version also has odor absorption for even more discretion. It comes with fun designs, such as Tinkerbell, The Little Mermaid or owls and butterflies. The price is a bit higher per unit than the Pampers version, reviewed above, but you can save an extra two dollars on your first order of this product when you clip the Amazon coupon. These training pants in the S-M size are designed to fit children weighing from 38 to 65 pounds. Many consumers prefer the leak protection of this brand over any other, though some complain that this product leaks, especially with slimmer children.
Price: $23.69 for set of 44 ($0.54 per unit) | Save an extra $3 off your first order with an Amazon coupon
- Save an extra $2 when you clip Amazon coupon
- The number one nighttime protection brand to help kids manage overnight bed wetting
- Odor absorbing for more discretion
- More expensive than other overnight protection training pants
- Not eco-friendly
- Not as great of a fit for very slim children
6. Best Disposable Training Pants for Girls: Pampers Easy Ups Training Underwear Girls (Size 3T-4T)
Pampers Easy Ups Training Underwear for Girls are an affordable choice for potty training, at just $0.35 per unit (plus, snag an additional three bucks off on your first order when you clip the Amazon coupon!). This product comes with a 360-degree stretchy waistband that is comfortable for toddlers and gives them a more underwear-like fit. They are made from super soft materials with tear-away sides for convenient access; however, this means the tabs are not reclosable in case you wanted to reuse a pair that has remained dry all night. Pampers Easy Ups offer great overnight protection from leaks with their exclusive Extra Absorb Channels and Dual LeakGuard Barriers. These diapers are not eco-friendly. Some consumers complain that they are too thick and bulky.
Price: $24.94 for set of 72 ($0.35 per unit)
- 360-degree stretchy waistband for a comfy, underwear-like fit
- Pampers exclusive Extra Absorb Channels and Dual LeakGuard Barriers for extra leak protection
- Super soft material with easy-tear sides
- Not eco-friendly
- Sides are not refastenable for additional uses
- Some consumers complain they are too thick and bulky
7. Best Training Pants for Sensitive Skin: Seventh Generation Baby & Toddler Training Pants (Size 3T-4T)
Seventh Generation Baby & Toddler Training Pants are an eco-friendly training pant free of chlorine processing, fragrances, lotions and latex. They are hypoallergenic and great for toddlers with sensitive skin. Although not as affordable as the non eco-friendly brands, they are less expensive per unit than both Bambo and The Honest Company training pants. These training pants are stretchy and have easy tear-away tabs on the sides, which is great for changing a wet pant, but this also means they cannot be reused if your kiddo makes it through the night without urinating. Some consumers complain that these training pants leak and are not as absorbent as other brands.
Price: $43.28 for 88 ($0.49 per unit)
- Stretchy, tear-away side panels for convenience
- Free of chlorine processing, fragrances, lotions and latex
- Hypoallergenic to protect sensitive skin
- More expensive than non eco-friendly brands
- Tabs cannot be reattached for reuse
- Some consumers complain that these training pants leak and are not as absorbent as they would like
Find more Seventh Generation Baby & Toddler Training Pants (Size 3T-4T) information and reviews here.
8. Best Reusable Training Pants: Gerber Little Boys’ Training Pant (Set of Four)
Gerber Little Boys’ Training Pants are a reusable, 100% cotton option for transitioning from diapers to big kid underwear. Because they are reusable, you will end up saving quite a bit of money in the long run. For just $16, you can get a set of four in size 3T-4T, so even though the unit price is higher, this will end up being the best bargain, assuming they work out for your kid. Gerber’s training pants are made from 100% cotton with an absorbent lining, meaning they will soak up dribbles and leaks, but not full blown accidents. They are not ideal for overnight use if your child still pees when he or she is asleep. Another great thing about washable training pants is that they feel more like real underwear, which will help your toddler to get used to the feeling of wet undies, hopefully assisting in the training process. Because they are 100% cotton, they may shrink in the wash, so factor that in when deciding what size to purchase. One downside to these training pants is the designs are fairly plain and not that exciting for kids.
Price: $15.99 ($4 per unit)
- 100% cotton panels with absorbent lining
- Closer to underwear to assist in training process
- Not great for overnight if your toddler still urinates in the night
- Design is plain
- May shrink after washed and dried
9. Best Affordable Eco-Friendly Training Pants: Earth’s Best Tots Chlorine-Free Potty Training Pants (Size 3T-4T)
If you’re on the hunt for an eco-friendly training pant with prices comparable to conventional pants, Earth’s Best Tots Chlorine-Free Potty Training Pants might be the ones for your toddler. At just $0.38 per unit, they offer the best price on low-chemical, organic training pants. They are chlorine free, latex free, dye free and perfume free. These training pants are made with natural absorbent materials, including corn and wheat, which reduces the use of petroleum chemicals in the manufacture of this product. Similar to a lot of other brands, they have tear-away tabs that don’t refasten. Some consumers complain that these training pants have a poor fit; they are too tight in the waist and don’t give enough bum coverage on some kids. Finally, some consumers complain they are leakier and bulkier than other training pants.
Price: $51.83 for set of 104 ($0.50 per unit)
- Chlorine free, latex free, dye free, perfume free
- Made with natural absorbent material such as corn and wheat, reducing use of petroleum chemicals
- Most affordable eco-friendly diapers
- Tabs don’t refasten so can’t reuse once they are torn
- Some consumers complain of poor fit (too tight, not enough bum coverage)
- Some consumers complain of leaks
Find more Earth’s Best Tots Chlorine-Free Potty Training Pants (Size 3T-4T) information and reviews here.
10. Best Feeling Eco-Friendly Training Pants: Nature Babycare Eco Pull On Pants (Size 4)
Nature Babycare Eco Pull on Pants are eco-friendly training pants that are certified by the world renowned Swedish Society for Nature Conservancy. Their eco-friendly cred is the real deal—they are 100% chlorine free, they ensure no petroleum-based chemicals touch your child’s skin, they are made from 60% natural and biodegradable materials, and they are made with a sustainably harvested absorbent pulp. For all of those eco benefits, you will have to open your wallet, as they come in at $1.15 per unit—the highest priced training pants on this list. Parents also like that they have a soft, cloth-like feel and are non-bulky, which enables toddlers to move around freely and comfortably. As with many other training pants, the tear-away sides do not attach for reuse. One fairly common complaint is that these training pants tend to irritate sensitive skin.
Price: $24.93 for set of 22 ($1.13 per unit)
- Soft, cloth-like feel for a non-bulky fit, enabling your toddler to move around freely
- Breathable and chlorine free, no petroleum-based chemicals against your todder’s skin
- Certified by the world renowned Swedish Society for Nature Conservancy
- Tear-away sides do not reattach for reuse
- Some consumers say these training pants irritate their toddlers’ sensitive skin
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.