Maybe you’re still creating your registry for your as-yet-to-arrive bundle of joy, or maybe you’re desperately seeking out a night light to keep your little one happy and calm through the night. Either way, you can add just the right ambient glow to your baby’s nursery by choosing from the best nursery night lights out there. What’s amazing about nursery night lights these days is the sheer amount of options that exist. We’ve put together this list of our favorites, including an adorable, squeezable gummy bear, a soft, huggable turtle that plays soothing melodies and even a 360-degree rotating night light that projects a gorgeous galaxy on your child’s ceiling. It’s really pretty hard to go wrong with any of these options, as they are all mega popular and highly rated—plus, of course, they’re all safe for your sweet little one.
While you’re prepping baby’s room, check out our list of the top 10 best crib mattresses to see which one is right for your baby. You can also peruse our lists of the best nursery hampers, the best changing tables with drawers and the best humidifiers for your baby’s room. Now is the time to nest, so enjoy it!
Be sure to check out our top 10 best nursery night lights below. Whether you are looking for something plush for baby to hug while she sleeps, or a fun projector that fills the ceiling with night stars, or even a super cute “celebrity cat” night light…you’re sure to find something that is perfect for your little one.
1. Best Plug-in Nursery Night Light: Taozi Kids Color Changing Flower Plug-in LED Mushroom Night Light
The Taozi Kids Color Changing Flower Plug-in LED Mushroom Night Light comes in a two pack for just $8.89! It’s a very affordable night light that plugs right into your wall for a colorful, ambient glow. The night light is made from LED lights, which are environmentally friendly; they’re low consumption and they have a much longer lifespan than traditional bulbs. The lights comes on automatically at dark, so no need to worry about a switch or button. The bold flower style is very unique, and while many people may love it, it also may not go with every style of decor. Some consumers complain the lights are smaller than expected, and some consumers say the light is too dim.
Price: $8.69 (31 percent off MSRP)
- Inexpensive, and you get two per order
- Lights come on automatically at dark
- Environmentally friendly: low consumption and long lifespan
- Bold flower style may not match decor
- Some consumers report night lights are smaller than expected
- Some consumers complain light is too dim
Find more Taozi Kids Color Changing Flower Plug-in LED Mushroom Night Light information and reviews here.
2. Best Huggable Nursery Night Light: Summer Infant Slumber Buddies Projection & Melodies Soother (Eddie the Elephant)
The Summer Infant Slumber Buddies Projection Melodies Soother is an adorable plush night light that your baby can take right into her crib. The sweet Eddie the Elephant shape is totally lovable, and it also comes in a butterfly, hippo, bumble bee and lamb—sweetness overload. This night light plays five meditative songs as well as nature sounds to soothe your little one right to sleep, and the sounds come with three levels of volume control. Unfortunately, kids can control the volume themselves, which might lead to them turning it up too loud and waking up a sibling (or a parent!). You can set the night light to automatically shut off in either 15, 30 or 45 minutes. For just $15, it also comes with a starry sky projection, which is a steal compared to comparable products on the market. Some consumers have complained that the music sounds tinny. This product requires three AA batteries, which are included with purchase.
Price: $14.79 (41 percent off MSRP)
- Plush, huggable night light with wall projections
- Plays five meditative songs and nature sounds
- Has 15, 30 and 45 minute auto shut-off
- Requires three AA batteries (included)
- Kids can control volume
- Music is somewhat tinny
Find more Summer Infant Slumber Buddies Projection & Melodies Soother (Eddie the Elephant) information and reviews here.
3. Best Nursery Night Light with Bluetooth Speaker: SHAVA Night Light with Bluetooth Speaker LED Bedside Table Lamp
The SHAVA Night Light with Bluetooth Speaker LED Bedside Table Lamp is a great product because it’s a soothing night light plus Bluetooth speaker in one. We actually own this product (along with a few other night lights), and this is the one that gets the most use. It connects to any Bluetooth device and will play whatever music or audio you want. Additionally, it picks up some FM radio stations—pretty cool option to have. The speakers are high quality and produce a nice sound. This device is highly portable, and we use it throughout other rooms in the house, even though it lives in our four-year-old’s room, by his bedside. You can tap and hold the speaker mesh to change between the two modes—Ambient and Colour—as well as easily change the color of your night light. Our only problem with this night light is that the controls can be a bit confusing. Some consumers also complain that the cord to plug it into the wall and charge it is too short. (But it will run without being plugged in once it is charged.)
Price: $19.95 (60 percent off MSRP)
- Tap and hold speaker mesh to change between Ambient & Colour modes, and easily change color of night light
- Compatible with all Bluetooth devices
- High quality speakers for nice sound
- More expensive
- Controls are a little confusing
- Power cord is very short
Find more SHAVA Night Light with Bluetooth Speaker LED Bedside Table Lamp information and reviews here.
4. Best Nursery Night Light with Star Projector: Lizber LED Baby Night Light with Moon Star Projector & 360 Degree Rotation
The Lizber LED Baby Night Light with Moon Star Projector & 360 Degree Rotation is a fun galaxy projector that can also be used as a simple LED night light, when you take off the removable top. When used in galaxy mode, it creates a beautiful swirl of stars on your ceiling or wall in a combo of colors. It contains four LED beads with warm, soothing light in white, blue, green and red. The projector night light comes in three fun colors: blue, pink and purple. This product is powered either by a USB cable (included) that you can charge using a cell phone charger or computer (not included), or four AAA batteries (also not included). This night light contains no auto shut-off, and it does not play any music or ambient sounds.
- Four LED beads with warm, soothing light in white, blue, green and red
- Fun galaxy projection, but can also remove top for a simple light
- Comes in three fun colors
- Powered by USB cable with cell phone charger/computer or four AAA batteries (charger and batteries NOT included)
- No auto shut-off
- No music or soothing sounds
Find more Lizber LED Baby Night Light with Moon Star Projector & 360 Degree Rotation information and reviews here.
5. Most Innovative Nursery Night Light: Boon Glo Night Light with Portable Balls
The Boon Glo Night Light with Portable Balls is a super unique night light, thrilling for adults and kids alike. It has a modern design that almost resembles a creature from the deep ocean floor. It lights up in an array of colors, and contains three removable GLO balls that act as portable night lights when you take them out of their port. The balls hold their glow for 30 minutes after being removed from the base. This night light is safe, and all the lights are cool to the touch. The major complaints are the cost (at $56, it’s the most expensive night light on the list), as well as the balls themselves: some consumers complain they are very dim when removed from the base and they are easy for kids to lose.
Price: $64.99 (7 percent off MSRP)
- Removable GLO balls act as portable nightlights
- Fun modern design
- Safe and cool to the touch
- Balls are not very bright once removed from base
- Easy to lose balls
6. Best Musical Nursery Night Light: Skip Hop Moonlight & Melodies Night Light Soother (Owl)
Skip Hop, a trusted and beloved baby brand, makes the Moonlight Melodies Night Light Soother, which is an adorable character-shaped night light that kids can bring from room to room, and even take into bed with them. It has an adjustable-angle lens that projects a mesmerizing star pattern onto baby’s wall or ceiling. The dimmable LED bulbs emit a soft nighttime glow with a modern leaf pattern. The soft fabric wings double as speakers, and the owl plays soothing sounds. The night light has an auto shut-off feature for the lights and sounds that shuts off after 60 minutes. Some consumers have complained that the white noise sounds are not as good as expected, and that the speakers are not super high quality, especially for the price tag. Additionally, some consumers have reported issues with the night light breaking after a few weeks or months.
- Adorable owl-shaped night light that kids can take with them in bed or from room to room
- Soothes baby or toddler with sounds and lights that play for 60 minutes
- Dimmable LEDs emit soft night light glow with modern leaf pattern
- More expensive
- Some consumers complain that the white noise options are not as good as desired
- Some complaints that it stops working after a few weeks or months
7. Best Nursery Night Light with Auto Shut-off: SOAIY Rotation Sleep Soothing Color Changing Aurora Night Light Projector with Built-in Speaker
Another rotating projector night light, the SOAIY Rotation Sleep Soothing Color Changing Aurora Night Light with Built-in Speaker is an affordable option at just $19. It contains eight light-projection modes, so you can choose whichever option is the most soothing for your baby. Though it isn’t Bluetooth compatible, you can plug in an iPod, iPhone, MP3 player or other device to play the soothing music of your choice while baby watches the night light patterns projected on the wall or ceiling. This product has an auto shut-off feature that operates after 60 minutes of play. This night light has no dimmer capability, and some consumers report that the lights are too bright to soothe a baby or toddler. Finally, some consumers have reported receiving a defective product, so check your night light as soon as you receive it and report any issues.
Price: $19.99 (50 percent off MSRP)
Buy the SOAIY Rotation Sleep Soothing Color Changing Aurora Night Light Projector with Built-in Speaker here.
- Eight light-projection modes to pick whichever option is most soothing for baby
- You can plug in an iPod, iPhone, MP3 or other device to play music while watching night light patterns
- Auto shut-off after 60 minutes
- No dimmer capability
- Some consumers report too exciting/bright for it to soothe baby or toddler to sleep
- Some consumers report receiving defective product
Find more SOAIY Rotation Sleep Soothing Color Changing Aurora Night Light Projector with Built-in Speaker information and reviews here.
8. Cutest Nursery Night Light: Lafedy LED Multicolor Silicone Soft Baby Night Light Lamp (Celebrity Cat)
The Lafedy LED Multicolor Silicone Soft Baby Night Light Lamp in the Celebrity Cat model is probably the funniest night light of the bunch, and it’s pretty cute as well. At just $10, this night light is a bargain, and it comes in an adorable silicone cat design that is super squishy. This product has a built-in battery that stays charged for up to 15 hours at a time. Some consumers have complained that the night light is difficult to charge and use at the same time, because you have to tilt it upside down to fit the charger in. The silicone used is fairly flimsy, and some consumers have even reported the cat getting stuck in a collapsed position. Finally, some consumers have had issues with the charger not working after a few uses.
- Adorable silicone cat design
- Built-in battery stays charged for up to 15 hours
- Difficult to charge and use at the same time
- Very soft material doesn’t feel very sturdy
- Some consumers report issues with charger not working after a few uses
Find more Lafedy LED Multicolor Silicone Soft Baby Night Light Lamp (Celebrity Cat) information and reviews here.
9. Most Soothing Nursery Night Light: Playskool Favorites Lullaby Gloworm Toy (Blue)
Here’s another favorite plushie night light, this one made by Playskool. The Playskool Favorites Lullaby Gloworm Toy comes in two colors, pink and blue, and is a lovable, huggable night light that emits a soft, warm glow when baby squeezes the worm. It has three modes of play: short play, long play and glow only. The short and long play modes play soothing melodies in addition to the glow. This night light has no projections, but the face lights up when the body is squeezed. Some consumers complain that the volume is too loud, the night light is too difficult for babies to turn on themselves and it drains batteries quickly.
- Three modes of use: short play, long play, glow only
- Face lights up when baby squeezes the worm
- Soft plush, huggable night light provides comfort for babies
- Volume is loud
- Somewhat difficult for young babies to turn on themselves
- Drains batteries quickly
10. Best LED Nursery Night Light: FCTRY Gummygoods Nightlight (Purple)
I’m really sad that I didn’t discover this night light until after I had already purchased one for my firstborn. Does it get any cuter than a squeezable night light shaped like a gummy bear? (The answer is no.) This night light comes in purple, green and red to match your nursery’s decor. Its squeezable belly turns the night light on and off, and it is powered by a long-lasting, energy-saving LED bulb. This product has both a one-hour and an infinite timer. It requires two AA batteries, which are not included, and many consumers say it burns through them relatively quickly. It includes an A/C jack for plugging into your wall outlet (but it requires a generic 1.5 volt A/C power adapter, which is not included). Some consumers have complained that the purple version is dimmer than the other versions of this night light. It’s also fairly expensive at $30 for a simple night light with no sounds, music or projections.
- Adorable gummy bear shaped night light that comes in three colors
- Squeezable belly turns the night light on and off
- Long-lasting, energy-saving LED lights
- More expensive
- Requires two AA batteries (not included), and it burns through them quickly
- Purple bear has dim light compared to other bears