Warm weather is here — and so is the desire for a cool, refreshing drink. Smoothies are a popular choice, providing a well-rounded mix of essential vitamins and nutrients in one convenient glass. There’s a wealth of smoothie makers on the market, but these models stand out for their excellent performance, value, and high customer satisfaction ratings.
If you’re in the market for a new blender, the first step is to decide on a budget. Some pricier models can cost over $300, while others are less than $50. In general, the more expensive a smoothie blender is, the more power and performance you can expect. However, not everyone requires that much power, which is why one of the more affordable models could be just what you need.
What Are the Best Smoothie Makers 2017
- BLACK+DECKER PowerCrush Digital Quiet Blender
- Nutri Ninja Auto iQ (BL482)
- Vitamix Professional Series 750
- Oster Pro 1200 Blender
- Jamba Appliances 58916 Quiet Shield Blender Jar
- Ninja Professional Blender (BL660)
- VonShef UltraBlend Personal Blender Nutrition Extractor
- KitchenAid KSB1575ER 5-Speed Diamond Blender
- Blendtec Total Blender FourSide Jar
- Hamilton Beach Power Elite Multi-Function Blender
1. BLACK+DECKER PowerCrush Digital Quiet Blender
While it lacks the sound-reducing shield that you’ll find on the Jamba Appliances Quiet Shield Blender, this smoothie blender remains quieter than most in its price range, especially on lower settings. This is due in large part to the fact that the 48 ounce blender jar is made from glass, rather than plastic, which helps dampen the noise a bit. Whether you’re in the mood for a smoothie or a refreshing snack, just choose from the pre-programmed functions, including smoothies and frozen drinks, and let the machine take over. If you want to make a drink to go, replace the blender jar with the included 18 ounce personal jar. The 900 watt motor provides ample power to crush ice and frozen fruit. All parts are removable and dishwasher safe.
This smoothie maker is best for quieter blending at an affordable price.
- Quieter than most in this price range
- Glass blender jar
- Comes with a smaller personal size jar
- Pour spout can get messy
- Tough to add ingredients through designated lid slots
- Still a bit loud, especially on higher settings
2. Nutri Ninja Auto iQ (BL482)
This Nutri Ninja Auto iQ smoothie maker is a convenient choice for busy individuals thanks to its distinctive Auto iQ technology. All you need to do is add your desired ingredients then press your desired Auto iQ program. From there, the machine will take over, providing a smooth and consistent blend with timed blending intervals for a delicious end result. Durable extractor blades are strong and secure enough to break down tough materials such as seeds, ice, and whole fruits and vegetables without compromising optimal nutrient and vitamin extraction. BPA-free cups are included in 32-ounce, 24-ounce, and 18-ounce sizes.
If you’re looking for something a bit bigger, consider the Nutri Ninja Ninja Blender Duo with Auto-iQ (BL642) or the Nutri Ninja Auto-iQ Compact System (BL492). The smaller and more affordable Ninja Master Prep (QB1000) is another option.
This smoothie maker is best for busy individuals who prefer the convenience of having a blender that takes the guesswork out of smoothie and snack preparation.
Price: $92.65 (7 percent off MSRP)
- Features several Auto iQ programs for convenience
- Includes BPA-free cups in multiple sizes
- Extractor blades are strong enough to break down seeds, ice, and more
- A few mention the jars can leak if the lids aren’t precisely in place
- May need some help to get ice or frozen fruit to the blades
3. Vitamix Professional Series 750
Vitamix fans know that the price might be a bit higher, but this one’s power, performance, and features makes up for the initial cost. It’s small enough to fit nicely onto most counter tops, but don’t let its small size fool you — a powerful 2.2 peak horsepower motor seamlessly chops and grinds through even the toughest ingredients. Aside from variable speed control, this smoothie blender comes with a spacious yet low-profile 64 ounce container. It can also clean itself in less than 60 seconds. Other highlights include pulse control and a choice between five pre-programmed settings.
A less expensive option, Vitamix 5200 Series Blender, is also available.
This smoothie maker is best for families and anyone who wants to make larger quantities at once. It’s also a solid choice for those who don’t mind spending a bit more for a commercial-quality blender with all the bells and whistles.
- 2.2 peak horsepower motor
- Multiple pre-programmed settings
- Cleans itself
- Can be tough to make smaller portions
- Smaller containers are available for an additional fee
4. Oster Pro 1200 Blender
Pre-programmed settings such as green/frozen smoothies and milkshakes make it easy to simply push a button and let the machine whip up a delicious end result. This blender features low, medium, and high settings. You can also use it to chop food and make salsa. In addition to an on/off button, the blender comes with a separate stop button for your safety and convenience. Dual direction blade technology gives this smoothie blender the ability to chop up even the toughest fruits and vegetables. The blender features 1200 power watts, with 900 watts of power alone for crushing ice.
If you don’t need quite as many features, consider the smaller and less expensive Oster Reverse Crush Counterforms Blender.
This smoothie maker is best for anyone seeking a versatile blender that can make smoothies, salsas, milkshakes, and more. It’s also a solid choice for crushing ice.
Price: $56.98 (37 percent off MSRP)
- 1200 watt motor
- Comes with separate blending cup
- Pre-programmed settings
- Plastic material seems flimsy
- Smoothie cup lid can be tough to remove
5. Jamba Appliances 58916 Quiet Shield Blender Jar
As its name suggests, this smoothie blender promises a quiet operation. Despite its powerful motor, which reaches up to 1.6 peak horsepower, you won’t have to worry about startling those around you when it’s time to make a smoothie. That’s because the blender comes with a shield that minimizes blending noise. Features such as speed control with pulse and a filter cap that can also be used as a measuring cup help this product stand out among other smoothie blenders. The durable stainless steel blade easily powers through top food such as nuts, produce, and ice.
The Jamba Appliances (58910) blender features a more powerful motor but doesn’t include a quiet shield.
This smoothie maker is best for consumers who prefer a quiet blender with a powerful motor.
Price: $118.02 (21 percent off MSRP)
- Quiet operation
- Speed control with pulse
- Durable stainless steel blade
- Blender cup needs to be held down during operation
- Ingredients may occasionally get stuck to the sides of the blender jar
- Some think that overall capacity is a bit small
6. Ninja Professional Blender (BL660)
A total of 1100 watts of professional performance power and innovative Total Crushing Technology ensures that whole fruits, vegetables, and ice are pulverized in seconds. If you’re making drinks for a crowd you’ll appreciate the 72-ounce capacity. As an added bonus, this Ninja blender also comes with two on-the-go cups and lids. The blender is BPA free and dishwasher safe. Use the Ninja for tasks such as controlled processing, pureeing, blending, crushing ice, and more with excellent results. Parts are dishwasher-safe for easier clean-up.
If you don’t need such a large blender, check out the more compact Ninja Kitchen System Pulse.
This blender is best for those who want a fast and efficient way to make and take smoothies on the go. It also has a large capacity, which is great for families and those who prefer to make large batches at once.
Price: $99.98 (17 percent off MSRP)
- 1100 watts of performance power
- Generous 72-ounce capacity
- Comes with to-go cups and lids
- May occasionally leave smaller bits behind
- Some report that the single serve blade burns out prematurely
7. VonShef UltraBlend Personal Blender Nutrition Extractor
If you’re looking for a fast and powerful blender that won’t break the bank, consider the VonShef UltraBlend. This personal blender stands out for its powerful 1000 watt motor and sharp blades, which results in optimal nutrient extraction and speedy performance. This blender comes with a large 1 liter cup and a smaller 27 ounce cup, which comes in handy when you want to transport the beverage to the gym, work, or anywhere else. This blender is ideal for making sports drinks as well as milkshakes and thick smoothies. You can count on it to blend ice easily to deliver a smooth end result. Suction feet keep the blender from moving when it’s in use.
A similar product, VonShef 4 in 1 Multifunctional 1.5L Blender, is a multi-use machine that can make smoothies, juice, spices, soups, and more.
This smoothie maker is best for anyone seeking and affordable and multi-purpose blender that can make smoothies, dressings, desserts, grind coffee, nuts, and more.
- Pulse function provides extra blending power when necessary
- Auto shut-off prevents overheating
- Includes smaller and larger cups
- Cup lids can be tough to clean
- May leave behind pieces of frozen fruit, ice, or seeds
- Some wish the motor was stronger
8. KitchenAid KSB1575ER 5-Speed Diamond Blender
The hallmark feature of this smoothie maker is its diamond blending system, which blends ingredients together quickly and smoothly for a delicious end result. A powerful motor works in tandem with the one-piece diamond pitcher along with sturdy stainless steel blades. The blender is outfitted with an intelligent motor control system that senses the ingredients then works at the optimal speed to expertly cut through them. Don’t worry if red isn’t the right color for your kitchen, as there are multiple colors to choose from.
This smoothie maker is best for anyone who prefers smoothies and frozen beverages with a smooth consistency.
- Diamond blending system
- Stainless steel blades
- Intelligent motor control system
- Can be tough to detach the base when full
- A bit tall for some cabinets
9. Blendtec Total Blender FourSide Jar
You’ll pay a bit more upfront for this blender, but customers rave about its performance and durability. Whether your goal is to make a serious smoothie in the morning or to purchase a blender that finally crushes up ice, seeds, and other tough objects without hesitation, this Blendtec blender is worth a close look. The FourSide jar is made from a durable BPA-free material that’s designed to withstand impacts. The jar is also compatible with all Blendtec blenders and comes with a strong, thick safety blade. Thanks to its unique shape, more friction is generated inside the jar as you blend ingredients together. The result is that hot drinks and soups are heated up quickly and colder ingredients are blended together smoothly and rapidly. It also has a 1560 watt motor and pre-programmed blending cycles.
This smoothie maker is best for serious smoothie drinkers who prefer to spend a bit more for a high-quality blender.
- Comes with 64-ounce blending jar
- Powerful 1560 watt motor
- Multiple pre-programmed blending cycles
- Lid can pop off if not pushed in tightly
- Base feels a bit cheap
10. Hamilton Beach Power Elite Multi-Function Blender
It lacks the higher power offered by some of its pricier competitors, but if you don’t need the maximum amount of power for your smoothies, this machine could be a solid choice. The smoothie maker offers 700 watts of peak blending power and is designed to blend up frozen fruit and vegetables into a smoothie or other drink. A total of 12 blending functions ensures you’ll find the optimal setting for your favorite frozen drink. Other highlights include a no-mess pouring spout and a 40 ounce dishwasher safe glass jar.
The Hamilton Beach Smoothie Smart Blender is also available.
This smoothie maker is best for budget-conscious shoppers looking for an affordable, basic blender with enough power to blend up frozen fruit and vegetables.
- 700 watts of peak blending power
- Total of 12 blending functions
- Dishwasher safe 40 oz. glass jar
- Requires a fair amount of liquid for smooth blending
- A bit under-powered
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.
Discuss on Facebook