Potentially one of the first things you will register for or purchase as an expecting parent, baby bottles are crucial to making sure you as a nursing mom don’t end up responsible for 100% of feedings. If you can get your baby to take a bottle, guess what? It’s your ticket to some down time, extra sleep or maybe even a night out with your spouse. If you plan on formula feeding, then you know you’ll need to stock up on bottles. Every baby is different and likes and needs different things out of a bottle, so some parents like to purchase a few varieties to see which one sticks. You may want to purchase bottles in a variety of styles, materials and sizes to see what your baby prefers. Also, if you have specific requirements from your bottles, such as being made from glass, you can find one that works for your situation. Even if you’re just looking for the most affordable option, the below list has got you covered.
Want to save yourself some precious minutes of sleep in the middle of the night? Make sure you grab yourself a bottle warmer from our list of the top 10 best bottle warmers. Make warming milk simple and fast, and get the perfect temperature every single time.
If you plan on exclusively breastfeeding your baby, you’ll definitely want to check out our roundup of the top 10 best bottles for breastfed babies. These bottles are designed to promote breastfeeding and help with nipple confusion. And they can be used for formula as well, so if your plans change, they are still totally useful.
Below, read up on the top 10 best baby bottles for new parents. Whatever your specific needs, this list has got a bottle that will work for you and your newborn.
1. Best Bottle for Exclusive Breastfeeding: Comotomo Baby Bottle (Green, 8 Ounce, 2 Count)
The Comotomo Baby Bottle is an attractive silicone bottle with a cute green lid that costs around $24 for a set of two eight-ounce bottles and two nipples. This bottle comes in just two pieces and has an ultra wide neck, so it’s very easy to clean (no brush required!). It can go right into the microwave, dishwasher, boiling water or bottle sterilizer for heating milk and sterilizing. The bottle is designed with dual anti-colic vents to reduce symptoms of colic in babies. The naturally shaped nipple has a wide mound that mimics the shape of a real nipple. The bottle is wide and soft, making it easy for baby to hold, and you can even buy a separate handle set that attaches to the bottle for older babies.
The bottle is on the more expensive side, but most consumers seem to think it is worth the price. Some minor complaints are the bottle tips over easily due to it being softer, the 100% safe hygienic silicone takes longer to heat than some other materials and the measurement ticks are difficult to read.
Price: $23 (23 percent off MSRP)
- Ultra wide neck design for easy cleaning without a brush
- Nipple and body is made of 100% safe hygienic silicone
- Designed to closely mimic breastfeeding to reduce bottle rejection and nipple confusion issues
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
- More expensive
- Silicone bottle takes longer to heat
- Bottle may leak if lid isn’t on perfectly
- Measurement ticks on bottle are difficult to read
2. Best Bottle for Colic: Dr. Brown’s Original Bottle (4 ounce, 4-Pack)
Dr. Brown’s Original Bottle comes in a four pack of four-ounce bottles for just $12.08, so it’s a great affordable option for new parents. This bottle comes highly recommended by parents of colicky babies as helping to reduce colic, spitting up, burping and gas—ultimately making baby so much more comfortable and less fussy. These bottles are designed with innovative vent technology to reduce vacuuming and nipple collapse, and allow baby to get the formula or breast milk she needs at her own rate. As baby eats, air never mixes with the breast milk or formula so oxidation is prevented, which maintains essential vitamins such as C, A and E, as well as lipids.
Balancing out the ample pros, Dr. Brown’s bottles have a couple of drawbacks. The number one complaint seems to be that they have a lot of parts to keep up with and clean; some of the parts are very small, meaning you will need a special bottle brush to clean them out (formula caked inside a bottle is a recipe for disaster!). Some consumers have reported leakage, as well as the fact that the bottle isn’t flat on the bottom, so it tends to tip over. Finally, non-colicky babies, especially older ones who want to eat more at at time, may prefer a different bottle that allows for a faster flow of milk/formula.
- Vent system eliminates negative pressure and air bubbles to help reduce colic, spit up, burping and gas
- Helps maintain vitamins C, A and E plus lipids
- Baby can take in formula or mother’s milk at their own rate
- Lots of parts to clean and keep up with
- Some consumers report leaking
- Bottom isn’t flat, so they tip over easily
- Not perfect for non-colicky babies who desire to eat faster
3. Best Bottle for Premies: Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature First Feed Bottle (5 Ounce, 1 Count)
The Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature First Feed Bottle is a super slow-flow bottle, designed specifically for premature babies and newborn feeds with expressed milk. This bottle helps babies to take a smaller amount of milk when they are very little and do not need much. The nipples are a size 0, which is the slowest flow available. The bottle is designed with an EasyVent valve to filter out air bubbles, easing gas, burping and symptoms of colic. It also includes a unique storage pot that allows a nursing mom to express milk directly into the pot from the pump and to feed straight from a bottle. This product is microwave and dishwasher safe.
Many consumers love the slow-flow nipples but feel disappointed that the only way to purchase them is by buying this bottle—they would prefer they were able to buy the nipples separately to use with other Tommee Tippee bottles. Other consumers complain that the bottle design tends to keep a small bit of milk stuck in the top, requiring you to shake it out. Nipples can collapse during feeding unless you make sure the valve button is closed. The price of the product is fairly affordable at $7.64 but only contains one bottle and one nipple.
Price: $7.22 (28 percent off MSRP)
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
- EasyVent valve filters out air bubbles to ease gas and symptoms of colic
- Designed for use with premature babies or those first newborn bottle feeds with expressed milk to encourage transition to bottle feeding
- Includes a storage pot which allows mom to express milk directly into the pot from the pump and to feed straight from a bottle
- Replacement nipples are more expensive than other brands
- Size 0 slow-flow nipples only available with purchase of this bottle; cannot be purchased separately
- Bottle’s design keeps a small bit of milk stuck in the top “groove” of the bottle
- Must make sure valve button is closed or nipple may collapse during feeding
Find more Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature First Feed Bottle (5 Ounce, 1 Count) information and reviews here.
4. Best Glass Bottle: Lifefactory BPA-Free Glass Baby Bottle (Mint, 4 Ounce)
The Lifefactory BPA-Free Glass Baby Bottle is a glass baby bottle that is very sturdy, holding up to repeated dropping by babies. Many consumers prefer glass so that they do not have to worry about the potential harms of plastics. It is encased with a protective medical-grade silicone sleeve that is adorable and makes the bottle easy to grip, and comes in fun colors such as mint, cantaloupe, banana, lavender and sky blue. This bottle is completely dishwasher safe, and you can even leave the silicone sleeve attached to the bottle for washing. One super cool thing about this bottle is that it grows with baby—the bottle is compatible with Lifefactory stage 1, 2, 3 and Y-cut nipples, as well as Lifefactory sippy caps and leak-proof flat caps for toddlers.
At $15, this product is not inexpensive, but it is a high quality product, made in the USA and Europe. Some consumers say the bottle is too heavy for their baby to lift on her own. Other consumers are disappointed that the narrow opening makes it somewhat difficult to pour in formula. This bottle does not include a bottle cap for heating or travel, which can be inconvenient for some consumers.
- Glass bottle means no worries about potential harms of plastics
- Protective medical-grade silicone sleeve is safe, easy to grip and comes in fun colors
- Dishwasher safe
- Bottle grows with baby and can be used with Lifefactory stage 1, 2, 3 and Y-cut nipples, sippy caps and leak-proof flat caps
- More expensive
- Bottle is heavy if baby or toddler wants to lift on her own
- Somewhat difficult for mixing formula
- Does not include a bottle cap for heating/travel
5. Best Bottle for Formula: Mixie Formula-Mixing Baby Bottle (8 ounce)
The Mixie Formula-Mixing Baby Bottle is an innovative product that stores your pre-measured formula for you in a convenient lid. Simply add water when baby gets hungry, press the release button and shake—voila! A freshly mixed bottle of formula. Mixie’s patented airtight design keeps formula dry until feeding time, meaning you don’t have to worry about spoilage when traveling. Keep in mind that the bottle will need to be washed and air-dried between uses, so if you will need to feed multiple bottles while you’re out, you may need to purchase more than one Mixie bottle.
They are not cheap, usually retailing at $20 per bottle for the eight-ounce size, but right now you can get one for $17. This bottle has a wide neck for easy cleaning, though it does have many parts that need to be kept track of and washed. This bottle comes with a 100% silicone nipple that is vented to minimize colic. Many consumers are unhappy with the nipple: complaints include it has a hole on top, it is very wide at the base and it tends to collapse when baby sucks very hard. The bottle is on the heavy side so might be difficult for some babies to lift on their own.
Price: $16.99 (15 percent off MSRP)
- The easiest baby bottle on the market for transporting and mixing baby formula
- Patented airtight design keeps formula dry until feeding time
- Large bottle with wide neck for easy cleaning
- Comes with a 100% silicone nipple that is vented to minimize colic
- More expensive
- Lots of parts to keep track of and clean
- Bottle is somewhat heavy for baby to lift on her own
- Some consumers complain that nipples are not great for their babies
6. Best Affordable Bottle: Munchkin Latch BPA-Free Baby Bottle (8 Ounce, 3 Pack)
The Munchkin Latch BPA-Free Baby Bottle comes in a super affordable three pack of eight-ounce bottles for just $13.40. The set also includes two stage 1 nipples, one stage 2 nipple and three sealing discs. This bottle is marketed as reducing colic and helping to transition back and forth between breast and bottle; it contains an anti-colic valve to reduce air bubbles and eliminate gas, though some consumers complain it doesn’t work well and bubbles still build up in the milk while baby is eating. The nipple has an innovative design that stretches and moves like the breast, which is meant to help baby latch correctly and continuously, reducing colic and allowing for a smoother feeding transition. These bottles are dishwasher safe.
Many consumers complain that the nipples tend to collapse while baby is feeding, and some have reported that the blue seals at the bottom tend to start leaking after a certain amount of time. Finally, this bottle does contain a lot of parts, and the valve will need to be cleaned using a brush.
Bottom line: This is a great inexpensive option if you’re on a budget, but if your baby is suffering from colic, this bottle may or may not solve the problem.
Price: $13.58 (46 percent off MSRP)
- Includes three bottles, two stage 1 nipples, one stage 2 nipple and three sealing discs
- Nipple stretches and moves like the breast, helping baby latch correctly and continuously to help reduce colic
- Dishwasher safe
- Nipples sometimes collapse when baby is feeding
- Somewhat difficult to clean all the parts
- Some reports of leaking from blue seals at the bottom
- Some consumers complain that bubbles tend to build up inside bottle
7. Best Bottle with Liners: Playtex Baby Nurser Baby Bottle with Drop-Ins Disposable Liners (8 Ounce, 3 Pack)
For the parents who just don’t want to mess with cleaning and sterilizing bottles after every single feeding, the Playtex Baby Nurser Baby Bottle with Drop-in Liners is a simple and inexpensive solution. The disposable liners come pre-sterilized, meaning you can just drop a new one into a bottle, fill it up and go. The liners mimic breastfeeding in a way that helps to avoid breast rejection: as baby eats from the bottle, the disposable liner slowly collapses to prevent air bubbles from forming and entering baby’s tummy. This gentle feeding method is clinically proven to reduce gas, colic and spitting up, and it makes switching back and forth between breast and bottle easier. You can purchase this set of three bottles for under $10, a great deal. Pick up a set of 50 bottle liners for just $4.24. The bottle has a setting that allows you to angle it to promote semi-upright feeding, which can help to prevent ear infections.
These bottles are not ideal for pumped breast milk due to the use of the liners. Cleaning the angled parts of the bottle can be somewhat difficult due to the angle required to get into all the crevices. Finally, it is somewhat difficult to determine how much formula or milk baby has eaten if she doesn’t finish the bottle because the liner collapses during feeding.
Price: $8.79 (33 percent off MSRP)
- Disposable, pre-sterilized liners make the cleaning process super easy
- Clinically shown to help reduce gas, colic and spitting up
- Bottle can angle to support upright feeding
- Liners are disposable and must be repurchased
- Not ideal for pumped breast milk
- Cleaning the angled parts of the bottle can be somewhat difficult
- Difficult to see how much baby has eaten if she doesn’t finish the bottle
Find more Playtex Baby Nurser Baby Bottle with Drop-Ins Disposable Liners(8 Ounce, 3 Pack) information and reviews here.
8. Best Ergonomic Bottle: Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottle (9 Ounce, 2 Count)
The Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottle is another large bottle, at nine ounces. For this price, you get just two bottles, which is not a bad price but not the most inexpensive. The soft, wide-shaped nipples are designed to promote a natural latch and help with the transition between breast and bottle. However, some consumers have noted that the wide mouth is too much for their babies to take in. These bottles come equipped with an advanced anti-colic system that is directly integrated into the nipple with no extra hard-to-clean parts. The ergonomic shape makes it easy for parent or baby to hold, and the wide neck makes it a breeze to clean without necessitating an extra bottle brush.
This bottle is not compatible with the Philips Avent Classic or Classic+ Nipples—it is only compatible with the Natural Nipples. Some consumers have complained that these bottles tend to leak when using them to mix formula. This product is not eligible for Prime shipping.
- Large nine-ounce size great for older babies
- Soft, wide-shaped nipple promotes natural latch
- Advanced anti-colic system is directly integrated into the nipple with no extra hard-to-clean parts
- Ergonomic shape makes it easy to hold, and wide neck makes it easy to clean
- Not eligible for Prime shipping
- Not compatible with Philips Avent Classic or Classic+ Nipples
- Bottles tend to leak milk when mixing formula
- Base too wide for some babies
Find more Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottle (9 Ounce, 2 Count) information and reviews here.
9. Best Bottle for Breast Milk: Medela Breastmilk Bottle Set (8 Ounce, Set of 3)
The Medela Breastmilk Bottle is beloved by breastfeeding/pumping moms everywhere. These bottles are compatible with the highly rated Medela breast pump, so you can pump, store and feed all with just one container. This set, for just $13.50, includes three each of eight-ounce bottles, wide based medium-flow nipples, collars, solid lids and caps—but you can also purchase this bottle in the five ounce size and purchase the slow-flow newborn nipples. Moms think these bottles are the best for long-term storage of breast milk because you can pump directly into the bottles, and they are designed to store breast milk long-term without it losing any of its natural nutritional properties. These bottles are dishwasher safe and don’t include too many small parts to lose.
The downside to the Medela bottles is they are not designed for preventing colic—there is no anti-colic air vent system built into the bottles. Some consumers have noted that the yellow collar around the nipple tends to crack with frequent washing in the dishwasher. The narrow top of the bottle works perfectly with Medela breast pumps, but unfortunately makes it more difficult to scoop and mix formula in these bottles. Some consumers have noted the medium-flow nipples flow too fast for their babies. (But you can grab the Medela Slow-Flow Nipples here.)
Price: $15.19 (20 percent off MSRP)
- Compatible with Medela breast pump, which is a highly rated pump, so you can pump, store and feed with one container
- Dishwasher safe
- Safe design allows moms to store their breast milk long-term without losing any of its natural beneficial properties
- Yellow collar around nipple tends to crack with frequent dishwasher washing
- Nipple flow is too fast for some babies
- Narrow top is not ideal for mixing formula or for cleaning
- No anti-colic air vent system
10. Best Large Capacity Bottle: Playtex Baby Ventaire Anti Colic Baby Bottle, BPA Free (9 Ounce, 3 Count)
The Playtex Ventaire Anti Colic Baby Bottle is an affordable, large capacity bottle at nine ounces; for less than 10 bucks, you get three bottles. Like the Playtex bottles with the drop-in liners, these also angle for upright feeding. Once your baby is older and eating more milk or formula, you will be so happy to have these larger bottles. They are designed for babies switching between breast and bottle or making the one-time transition from breast to bottle feeding. These bottles are designed with an anti-colic bottom vent to prevent air mixing with the milk/formula and creating air bubbles.
Some consumers complain that the bottom tends to leak if you don’t get the seal screwed on perfectly. These bottles are somewhat cumbersome to keep track of and clean, with six parts per bottle. Some consumers have complained that the seal rings tend to break down after repeated use, necessitating purchase of new rings, as well as the fact that the rings are difficult to track down and expensive. Unfortunately, these bottles are not compatible with bottle warmers due to their angled shape.
Price: $9.79 (32 percent off MSRP)
- VentAire bottles come with a leak proof, breakproof guarantee
- Large nine-ounce capacity great for older babies
- Designed for babies switching between breast and bottle or transitioning from breast to bottle feeding
- Tends to leak from the bottom if seal doesn’t seal all the way
- Six parts per bottle to keep track of and clean
- Rings tend to break down after continued use, but it is hard to find replacements
- Not compatible with bottle warmers due to angled shape