Heath Morrow: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Heath Morrow, Shannon Morrow, black face teacher alabama

Heath Morrow, left, a fifth-grade teacher in Decatur, Alabama, is facing criticism after wearing black face as part of a Kanye West costume. His wife, Shannon, dressed as West’s wife, Kim Kardashian. (Facebook)

An Alabama elementary school teacher is under fire after wearing black face as part of a Halloween costume.

Heath Morrow was dressed as Kanye West, while his wife, Shannon, portrayed West’s wife, Kim Kardashian in a photo she posted to Facebook. The photo was later deleted, but it was uploaded to Reddit on Sunday.

Morrow, of Decatur, Alabama, also wore a blazer, white T-shirt, gold chain and sunglasses as part of the controversial costume.

“I didn’t know dressing up as a celebrity couple would cause so much controversy,” Shannon Morrow told the New York Daily News. “There was no malicious intent in this costume. It’s for HALLOWEEN, the one time a year it is okay. Some of my husband’s best friends are black. There was no racial intent whatsoever.”

Here’s what you need to know:

1. He Has Apologized, Saying ‘I See People for Who They Are’

heath morrow, shannon morrow, alabama teacher black face kanye west costume

Heath Morrow, right, with his wife, Shannon. (Facebook)

The Decatur, Alabama, school district held a press conference Monday morning to address the photo of Heath Morrow that surfaced online over the weekend.

A letter of apology from Morrow was read by Decatur City Schools Superintendent Ed Nichols, according to WAFF-TV:

To whom this may concern:

I would like to first apologize for my error in judgment. My intentions were not malicious or directed toward any certain group of people. I would also like to say that everyone who knows my character and knows my heart, knows that I have never seen color in my life. I wasn’t raised or taught that way and do not raise my children that way. I see people for who they are, and my wife and I go out of our way to help anyone we can in my profession as an educator. When deciding to dress up for a Halloween party, my wife and I made a decision based on celebrities and the political climate today. I do not want this to reflect on my school or school system based on my poor decision that I made. Again I apologize and this will not happen again.

Sincerely,

Heath Morrow

2. He Is a Fifth Grade Teacher at a Decatur School

Heath Morrow

(Chestnut Grove Elementary School)

Morrow is a fifth grade teacher at Chestnut Grove Elementary School, according to its website.

He graduated with a degree in elementary education from the University of North Alabama.

3. The School District Says It Is Still Investigating

Heath Morrow, Shannon morrow

Heath Morrow, right, and his wife, Shannon Morrow. (Facebook)

At a press conference Monday morning, the Decatur City school district said it is still investigating, according to WAFF-TV.

Superintendent Ed Nichols said they are “sad by the actions that took away from the focus of the schools.” Nichols said they are looking into the issue and do not condone the action. He said they are planning a meeting with community leaders in attempt to be more sensitive.

4. His Wife Said ‘People Thought Heath Was Really a Black Man’

(Facebook)

(Facebook)

According to Raw Story, Shannon Morrow said in the caption of the Facebook photo, “Haha some people thought Heath was really a black man.”

He and his wife, Shannon Morrow, have two sons, according to her now-deleted Facebook page. The photo was taken in front of their mantle, adorned with photos of their young children.

5. Blackface Costumes Have Gotten Celebrities, College Students & Others Into Trouble in the Past

Controversy over black face Halloween costumes is not new. Actress Julianne Hough apologized in 2013 after she wore black face as part of a costume portraying Orange Is the New Black character Crazy Eyes.

Earlier this month, a fraternity and sorority at UCLA faced criticism on social media and on-campus protests after they were accused of wearing black face during a “Kanye Western” party.

Golee

There’s nothing wrong with this in the least, We can’t dress up as black musicians for Halloween?? WTF people!!! Calm the FCUK down already

doveknoll

I agree. It’s getting completely out of hand. I thought the costume was fine. Of course, now I’m sure the attacks will follow.

i could understand if he dressed up as a slave………….but anything else is nigga pity

i could understand if he dressed up as a slave………….but anything else is n i g g a pity

blakethecunt

The only thing I see wrong with it is there shouldn’t even be black musicians, niggers should work in the garbage and sewer ndustry were they belong.

Niggas run the world… We’ll keep fuckin all the white bitches…. They love BBC…..ahahahahaha

texastornado

Sooooo…..there’s a Barack Obama mask being sold. Does that mean only African Americans can wear it? If no malice was intended, then what’s the harm? For God’s sake people, IT’S HALLOWEEN!

Dbltap2x

I’m with Golee, what is the big damn deal? For hells sake, can no one take a freaking joke? I thought it was kind of humerous. Let’s get a grip.

fuck all the blacks if they dressed up as a white person we wouldnt give a fuc let alone hear about it in the news

All the blacks, though? Seems to me you just need a daily dose of grow-the-fuck-up.

Lolly

OMG who gives a rats ass? I would do it and not about to apologize to anyone. Did the wayans apologize for white chicks?? No and they should. It sucked. Sick of all this crap. And the idiots who send death threats and sue and beat people up over NOTHING!

When you say idiots you are referring to niggers, why do people dance around the subject? It’s a free country and they know what they are.

blakethecunt

The U.S. Has the worst black problem of any country on earth we have to authorize the mandatory spaying of all buck negro before it’s too late.

Mad cuz we fuck all the white bitches with our BBC and they love it. Lil dick cracker……ahahahahaha

NIGGASFTW

All of you in these comments are aging like milk & resemble mayo. Stay mad. Us niggers will continue to thrive, and you will deal. From all facets of life, we will continue to shit on all of you. Black as night and still win. Were slaves… overcame that. Discriminated against… overcame that. Y’all mad or nah? Hate me all you want. STILL better than you & you will deal with that too. Niggers stay winning, huh?

Continue to smell like pickles.

Kudos to Heavy for not cropping his wife out of the picture like ABC ‘News’ did.

This is foolishness, black people portray white people all the time and this double standard is going above and beyond!!! Ever see the Movie “White Chicks” or “Norbit” or Martin as that “White Guy”. Leave that man alone

This is extremely petty and a waste of time…This educator shouldn’t have to apologize for nothing, seriously a costume. There are many other things #violence #bullying etc that should concern people .. . so sick of ignorance …

these so called blacks need to leave the USA NOW!!!! Go to a third world country, go to Europe or other parts of the world. Get out of here. You’ll be crying back. Too bad they can’t seem to find more productive areas to invest their time and energy.

Invest in this dick bitch…. You’re wife probably love niggas…or if you’re a woman u probably want aa BBC in your tight pussy cuz your husband dick is a Vienna sausage…… Ahahahahaha