Berenstein Bears: Did Reddit Prove the Mandela Effect? [PHOTOS]

Berenstein Bears: Did Reddit Prove the Mandela Effect? [PHOTOS]

Berenstain Bears books. (Flickr/Laura)

Berenstain Bears books. (Flickr/Laura)

A contributor on Reddit has shared that while packing for a move, she found an old Berenstain Bears VHS tape that has a “Berenstein Bears” label on it. Now others are wondering if this is evidence of a wild theory called The Mandela Effect or just a random typo.

Here’s what you need to know.

A Redditor Found a VHS With an Official Label Spelled ‘Berenstein’

For years, many people have wondered why they remember the Berenstain Bears as being spelled with an “ein” at the end. In fact, so many people are positive that the books used to be spelled this way that a wild alternate universe theory has cropped up to explain the discrepancy. But no one has ever found proof that the books were ever spelled in any way but “Berenstain.”

Until now. (Possibly.)

Redditor diamondashtray posted that she and her husband were getting ready for a move and going through an old VHS collection. She found a Berenstain Bears video on VHS and it included a front label that reads “Berenstain” and a spine label that reads “Berenstein.” Here’s the front label that she shared:

berenstain

(Reddit/diamondashtray)

And here’s the spine label, spelled “Berenstein.”

(Reddit/diamondashtray)

(Reddit/diamondashtray)

One Redditor commented that they ran the photos through a basic analysis and “if it is an edit then it’s really good one because it doesn’t show any traces at all. Just putting that out there.”

It could be a photoshopped picture, except another poster found an ebay listing that has the same spine, with the same spelling on picture number 7 of the listing. You can see it here.

The Mandela Effect Is a Conspiracy Theory That Alternate Universes Exist

The Berenstein Bears theory is a little confusing if you haven’t heard about it before. To best understand it, look at the name. Does the spelling “Berenstain Bears” seem wrong to you? It does for hundreds of people (maybe even more) who swear it used to be spelled Berenstein. They use this as an example of a “glitch in the matrix” because many vividly remember the “ein” spelling. They say it’s an example of a theory called the Mandela Effect.

The Mandela Effect refers to a group of people who are absolutely positive that Nelson Mandela died in prison (which didn’t happen.) Their theory is that other people share this same false memory because there was an alternate history or parallel universe where that really happened, and our two universes somehow merged. Others have posited that perhaps someone traveled back in time and altered things slightly enough to change Mandela and Berenstain, causing a ripple effect that only a small percentage remember. (You can read an in-depth explanation of the Mandela Effect on Reddit here.) Of course, scientists aren’t backing up this theory and it’s pretty far out there. But it’s an interesting thought experiment, nonetheless.

On a Reddit thread where someone found a TV Guide that had “Berenstein Bears” written on it, one person explained the Berenstein Bears feeling this way:

All I was saying is that for a large number of people the name is spelled Berenstein. I can vividly recall reading these books when I was a kid and I very clearly remember seeing the E in STEIN. Everyone that I know or spoke to about this remembers it being STEIN. So, there is something strange going on here, because at some point the children changed.

It would be one thing if one or two people were like ‘Oh, I remember this being spelled STEIN.’ but that isn’t the case. People everywhere are claiming they remember it being spelled that way. Can that many people all have the same false memory?”

Meanwhile, others offer a simpler explanation. Vice interviewed Dr. Henry L. Roediger, an expert in false memories, who said that people likely just remember the name as “ein” because that spelling is more common, such as with Einstein, Frankenstein, and Goldstein. As kids, they could have easily gotten that mixed up.

Now we have a VHS that shows the wrong spelling, Berenstein, on an official label. The explanations for this VHS label are varied. The simplest Occam’s Razor type explanation is that it was just a typo. This may even point to the idea that it was a common typo found occasionally on official Berenstain products, and this is why people remember the name being spelled wrong. But there’s a faction of people who believe this is proof of the Mandela effect or even the “our universe is a hologram or computer simulation” theory. It’s a glitch that snuck in and wasn’t corrected, they say.

What do you think? Let us know in the comments below.

not only do i remember it being spelled with an E, i distinctly remember the day i realized there was an A and being very confused. i’ve never heard of the mandela effect but will research it more, because i also remember being surprised to learn he was still alive!

gerardtaylor

It was Berenstein for sure. Over a year ago, when I started looking into this, when I wrote Berenstein Bears in the Google Books search engine, I would find many authors had written books which included references to the Berenstein Bears Books in relation to children’s literacy and so forth.

Most of the books which were ABOUT the Berenstein Bears books still retained the old spelling (because the copyright belonged to a third party and couldn’t be tampered with without a lawsuite).

Now, it’s difficult to find any books ABOUT the books on Google books, only the books themselves. This is proof that it|s a scam, a Random House scam and not universal spillage.

Where have all the books ABOUT the books gone?

kategladstone

Since many Americans (mis)remember that Hamilton and Franklin were American Presidents, do they also want to change the history books to fit their memories?

Wynn Ni

This is what I think. People pick up the books when they are children, then hear someone else say Stein, instead of Stain, so they go along with it. They just think, “English is a weird language, and the spelling is pronounced Stein”. This happened so frequently, that when people grew up and reread the titles, they are really confused. The problem basically, was that everyone was pronouncing it wrong, instead of spelling it wrong.

nrtupper

Has anyone considered that this might be a font problem? In that the fonts used were not clear enough to distinguish a and e at a quick glance? Because of the association with ‘ein’ names and the bad fonting what resulted was people looking and seeing ein when it was ain.

About the whole “typo” thing. If there is THAT many “E” typos where their should be A’s, then wouldn’t we see many other typos? I haven’t seen any typos in the berenstein bears series besides these ones.
I’m not sure why I’m so passionate about this, i just clearly remember it as Stein.

jackmacphellimey

A lot of people are saying “maybe they changed it.” All those books with Stein that people already bought wouldn’t have just disappeared if it were a simple case of the authors changing it at some point. There is no evidence that it as ever Berenstein apart from a typo someone found… and just for anyone’s curiosity I also remember it as Berenstein (be it a universal phase shift or just a collective crap memory) and I was a kid who was an avid reader but pronounced things like they sounded. Never called them BerenSTAIN.

jackmacphellimey

Just to reiterate, I’m not saying “zomg it must be parallel universe!” I’m just saying it’s not some crazy antisemitic plot by the family to erase their more Jewish sounding name from all of history.

Codorean

The last name wasn’t such a common American name so probably it was just frequently misspelled, like my last name, which everyone (besides my family of course) pronounced/spelled differently.

I am from South America and came across this theory because of Operation Berenstain on Mr Robot. To be honest, I didn’t even know there was such a thing as Berenstain Bears, but I thought it was misspelled when I read it too. So, like Dr Roediger, I believe we find it strange because we are more used to the suffix -stein, rather than -stain. Unless people have been brainwashed or rewired here in South America about something they didn’t even know that existed, it’s probably just an impression.

gerardtaylor

In ‘Google Books’ it is spelled Berenstein in many, many books written ABOUT the Berenstein Bear books. That is because the copyright for those books belongs to somebody else, so the spelling can’t be tampered with in those books. The books are often written by educators and they pertain to children’s grammar and spelling etc. It seems odd that the parallel universe would show such uncanny respect for copyright laws.

yukidongo

It was a household favorite for my kids. I watched it “ad nauseum” and it was Berenstein Bears. I also have never reconciled that Mandela died in prison, but became the President of South Africa. Daughter just brought up the movie “Kazaam”, and Sinbad the comedian who played in it. Following that there was “Shaq” playing “Shazaam”. She came down to tell me that movie doesn’t exist, was never made, and Sinbad says he was never in such a movie. Strange, as I remember that all of these other Genie movies sprung up about the same time. Sinbad played a genie with a boom box. Just asked sin if he remembered ut. Vividly, would be the answer!
Mandela, after many appeals for his release, died in prison. The anguish of the people was carried on the news. It was a “big” deal! Then later, I hear he’s being released, and I’m like, no… he’s dead. I didn’t give a hoot about the man, didn’t dwell on him, etc. Unless he died, I wouldn’t have thought he died. He was not part of my repertoire of thoughts. And, I remember thinking, “so, what’s the big deal?”

Devon

if you want a conspiracy theory, a more credible one (at least compared to parallel universes) would that the creators of Berenstain Bears decided to gaslight the entire population with constantly-denied, calculated inconsistencies in their labelling, as some sort of extremely-long-running practical joke.

brian

I remember years ago when I was little. I remember getting into a debate with my mom on the spelling. it was one of my favorite books at the time. and when my mom said it wasn’t spelled that way, I went and got the book. and sure enough, it was changed. like over night, changed. and I swore up and down that this book I had was spelled with stein at the time. I don’t know why this debate stuck in my head for all these years. but now I been reading this lately, and now i question if I was actually wrong, or did something actually change? because I remember this argument with my mom even back then. back then I remember thinking oh, maybe I did see it wrong? and never put another thought into it after. till now. i don’t know about the other mandela effects, but this is the one I have always seemed to remember for some reason. not saying my experience validates anything. I just found it very odd, that years before I remember having this argument with my mom about this same spelling, on a book I carried around like it was a bible. I saw this book every day at the time. I knew the looks of the spelling when I was little. and ever since it has never looked the same to me. just something very odd about it when ever I seen it after. anyhow, I just thought it was weird me remembering that argument with my mom over this, and now seeing this mandela effect and the berenstein bears are part of it. and now I almost feel as though I was meant to witness the change. because why would I remember something that was so minor for so many years, like it was branded into my brain? BUT, I was just a little kid learning to spell at the time too. I just remember having this argument, and the link between that and this mandela effect just got me wondering. but I am sure it will be proven to be some sort of elaborate hoax.

As soon as I saw the picture at the top of the article my whole body cringed. I have vivid memories of these books as a kid. I read them almost everyday. First Iearn there wasn’t genie movie, now this. My childhood is ruined.

Lillie Oliver

I am a horrible speller, often checking if it’s i after e or e after i spelling. I remember checking the spelling of Berstein as I have read these books to my kids at one time. If it were spelled ian, I would have noticed. Honestly, it would have infuriated me in that it was not pronounced right. Why would any of us have pronounced stian as steen is rather mind boggling.

gerardtaylor

This is really easy to check out and no memory is needed. Just go to Google Books and type in Berenstein Bears. You will find many, many, many books that spell it this way (the correct original spelling). The reason they have not changed is because of copyright of the authors of these books ABOUT the Berenstein Bears books. The books are often written by educators and regard children’s literature. You will need to go in a few pages before you get to them as the early pages are crowded out with the new spelling.

jackmacphellimey

Then what about the books I bought was a child that I remember as Stein but are now stain? Did someone sneak into my house and replace them, rips and all?

Chris

Not only the name of the books, look at the titles. People from universe E like me, do you even recognize most of these titles? There are some I’ve NEVER heard of in my life. I used to love these books, I’d read them all the time. But of all that I’ve seen published from the years I’d have been reading them and published before then, I only recognize three. The rest I’ve never even heard of.

P truesdale

I definitely read in a newspaper that the actor who played the go compare adverts had been missing for over 3 weeks but no one has any memory of this ever happening, this was about 2 years ago an Iil always remember nobody knowing what I was talking about

Rachel

Could it be possible that there were errors made somewhere? I know from personal experience that for some, no matter how many times I corrected the spelling of my name, they still spelled it wrong. But whatever. What do I know?