The post-Donald Sterling era in Los Angeles is off to a good start.
With the disgraced Sterling out of the picture and fiery former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer in place as the Clippers’ new owner, the team announced Wednesday that it had agreed to a deal that will keep coach Doc Rivers on the sideline through the 2018-19 season.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
“This is an important day for this organization,” Ballmer said in a news release. “I am excited to work with Doc for a long time as we build a championship culture that will deliver results both on and off the court. Not only is Doc one of the best coaches and executives in the game, but he continually embodies the hard core, committed and resilient character and winning culture that the Clippers represent. It was one of my top priorities to ensure that he was firmly in place as the long-term leader of this team.”
“Steve has shown a clear and determined desire to make the Clippers one of the most elite, first-class and championship organizations in all of professional sports,” Rivers said. “We know we have work to do to get there, but I am motivated by the challenge and thankful for the opportunity to stand together with Steve as we continue to move toward our goal of winning an NBA title.”
Rivers, who coached the Boston Celtics to an NBA title in 2008 and took them back to the finals two years later, took over in L.A. last year and led the Clippers to a franchise-best 57-25 record. The team named him its president of basketball operations in June.