Five students at Ball State University have been hospitalized after drug overdosing at an off-campus apartment.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. The Students Were Found in a ‘Living-Learning’ Apartment Complex
Cops were called to the Village Promenade apartments at 2:45 p.m. local time on March 20. They found five students who had overdosed, all five were taken to hospital, reports Fox 59. The Village Promenade apartments sells itself to the parents of students by promising a “Living-Learning Environment.” The complex also promises 24 hour emergency response.
2. 2 of the Students Are in Intensive Care
Two students remain unconscious in the ICU of Ball Memorial Hospital. Three others have already been released from the medical center. WISH-TV reports that the school aren’t naming the students yet.
3. Cops Think the Students Were Taking Cocaine
Police believe the students were taking cocaine. The day before the overdoses, the Star Press in Muncie reported that a woman named Mary Jordan was arrested, accused of selling cocaine at her apartment, which is less than two miles from the Village Promenade apartments.
4. Students Found to Be Taking Drugs at Ball State Lose Their Housing Privileges
Ball State is located in Muncie, Indiana, 65 miles north east of Indianapolis. The school’s website states that any student found to be possessing drugs “will probably result in the termination of the housing contract and further disciplinary action with the Office of Student Rights and Community Standards.”
5. The Students Were Watching March Madness
Ball State University’s basketball team aren’t in March Madness this year, the Cardinals suffered a rotten 7-23 season in 2014/15. According to WTHR’s Emily Longnecker, the students were all watching the NCAA tournament as they took cocaine.
Discuss on Facebook