President Donald Trump will reportedly withdraw his appeal of the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that upheld the suspension of his travel ban executive orders for immigrants from seven Muslim-based countries.
A court document was filed February 16 that explained the reason for the withdrawal by the Trump, listed as the defendant in the case against the state of Washington. It states that “rather than continuing this litigation, the president intends in the near future to rescind the order and replace it with a new, substantially revised executive order to eliminate what the panel erroneously thought were constitutional concerns.”
The 61-page court filing continues that “in doing so, the president will clear the way for immediately protecting the country rather than pursuing further, potentially time-consuming litigation.”
Read the full document here:
The immigration executive orders barred immigrants from Libya, Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Iraq, Syria and Yemen from entering the U.S. for 90 days and all refugees for 120 days. Immigration from Syria was banned “indefinitely,” according to the orders.
In his press conference February 16, Trump said that new immigration orders are being drafted by lawyers and will be announced the week of February 20.
“The new order is going to be very much tailored to what I consider to be a very bad decision,” Trump said in the press conference.
A three-judge panel from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals had previously denied a request to lift the temporary restraining order that has been placed on the executive orders.
Trump tweeted his displeasure with the court’s ruling February 9.