WATCH: Al Franken to Resign From Senate Seat [FULL SPEECH]

Senator Al Franken has announced in a speech from the Senate floor that he will be resigning from the Senate in the “coming weeks.” You can watch the Minnesota Democrat’s speech above.

“A couple months ago I felt that we had entered an important moment in the history of this country. We were finally beginning to listen to women about the ways in which men’s actions affect them. The moment was long overdue,” Franken said. “I was excited for that conversation and hopeful that it would result in real change that would make life better from women all across the country and in every part of our society.

“Then the conversation turned to me. Over the last few weeks a number of women have come forward to talk about how my actions have affected them. I was shocked. I was upset. But in responding to their claims, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation, because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously,” he said.

Eight women have come forward with allegations against Franken in the past month, including two women who shared their stories on Wednesday. More than 30 Democratic senators, led by women, spoke out on Wednesday to call for Franken’s resignation. Franken said he thinks he was right to give his accusers respect, but did not admit to all the allegations against him.

“It gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing some things that I haven’t done. Some of the allegations against me are simply not true. Others I remember very differently,” he said. “I said at the outset that the Ethics Committee was the right venue for these allegations to be heard and investigated and evaluated on their merits. That I was prepared to cooperate fully and that I was confident in the outcome.”

Franken said, “I know in my heart that nothing I have done as a Senator, nothing, has brought dishonor on this institution. And I am confident that the Ethics Committee would agree. Nevertheless, today I am announcing that in the coming weeks I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate.”

The departing senator then used his moment in the spotlight to address the sexual harassment and misconduct accusations that have been made against President Donald Trump, and the sexual assault and child molestation accusations against Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore.

“I of all people am aware that there is some irony in the fact I am leaving, while a man that has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office,” Franken said. “And a man that has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.

“But this decision is not about me, it’s about the people of Minnesota. It’s become clear that I can’t both pursue the Ethics Committee process and at the same time remain an effective Senator for them. Let me be clear, I may be resigning my seat, but I am not giving up my voice, I will continue to stand up for the things that I believe in as a citizen and as an activist. But Minnesotans deserve a Senator who can focus with all her energy on addressing the challenges that they face everyday,” Franken said.

According to NBC News, Franken’s resignation will be effective as of the end of the year.

Franken said “I am proud that during my time in the Senate I have used my power to be a champion for women. And that I’ve earned a reputation as someone who respects the women I work alongside everyday. I know there’s been a very different picture of me painted over the last few weeks, but I know who I really am.”

al franken, al franken resigns

GettySenator Al Franken.

Franken’s seat will be filled by Minnesota’s Democratic Governor Mark Dayton. The interim senator would serve until 2018, when voters would pick someone to finish the final two years of Franken’s term.

Franken faced a wave of calls for him to step down on Wednesday, with at least 32 Democratic senators, including 13 women and 19 men, telling him to resign, according to CNN.

New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand was the first to call for Franken to resign on Wednesday. “While Senator Franken is entitled to have the Ethics Committee conclude its review, I believe it would be better for our country if he sent a clear message that any kind of mistreatment of women in our society isn’t acceptable by stepping aside to let someone else serve,” she wrote on Facebook.

Several other women senators joined Gillibrand with statements Wednesday, including Claire McCaskill, Maggie Hassan, Patty Murray, Tammy Baldwin, Debbie Stabenow, Dianne Feinstein, Tammy Duckworth, Kamala Harris, Maria Cantwell and Dianne Feinstein.

In a statement from her office, Senator Amy Klobuchar, Minnesota’s other senator, said Wednesday, “Senator Klobuchar personally spoke with Senator Franken this morning. As has been reported, he will be making an announcement tomorrow morning.”

Senator Bob Casey was the first male colleague of Franken’s to call for him to step aside Wednesday. He has since been joined by several others, including Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez also called for Franken to resign.

The calls for Franken’s resignation came on the same day that two more women came forward with accusations against him.

A former Democratic Congressional aide, whose name was withheld to protect her identity, told Politico that Franken tried to forcibly kiss her after a taping of his radio show in 2006, three years before he became a senator. The woman said she had accompanied her boss to Franken’s studio. After her boss left the room following the taping, she was gathering her belongings when she said she came face to face with Franken.

“He was between me and the door, and he was coming at me to kiss me. It was very quick, and I think my brain had to work really hard to be like ‘Wait, what is happening?’ But I knew whatever was happening was not right, and I ducked,” the woman told Politico. “I was really startled by it, and I just sort of booked it towards the door, and he said, ‘It’s my right as an entertainer.'”

Franken, who had called for an ethics investigation into the accusations to be conducted, denied the former aide’s accusation, telling Politico, “This allegation is categorically not true and the idea that I would claim this as my right as an entertainer is preposterous. I look forward to fully cooperating with the ongoing ethics committee investigation.”

Later Wednesday, Tina Dupuythe former communications director for Democratic Congressman Alan Grayson, wrote in The Atlantic that she was groped by Franken in 2009.

Jesse

Franken is a sexual assaulter there is photos show that FACT. Trump did nothing but talk about what he could do not that had done anything like that. As for Judge Moore he has gone through many nasty campaigns in his time in office yet no person even hinted at his doing anything any female of any age. It wasn’t till he beat the Establishment GOPers pick did he suddenly get accused of these attacks on young girls. The women making the claims cannot even get their stories straight. Evidence does not exist in the first case and the woman could not even tell a story that fit the facts of her life at the time she claims she was attacked. The Second woman says she has proof but hires a Lawyer who craves Publicity and won’t allow the evidence to be examined to prove it is what she claims. Allred the lawyer for the one claiming evidence is known for her GRANDSTANDING to avoid trials and the TRUTH. Franken May have kept his nose clean in the Senate but he still is a sexual abuser and should be punished for it. He should be required to register as a sex offender and be barred from any office elected or appointed for life. He grab women by various body parts and that is assault no matter who did it. He should face charges and on top of the life time ban on office holding and registering as a sex offender he should be made to pay those he assaulted his retirement pay.

PAX

Franken is out while so many remain. Why is that? I’m sure that is why he took a shot at Trump who got a pass only because he denied the multitude or sex abuse allegations including a law suit involving the alleged rape of a thirteen year old girl with his friend and billionaire registered sex offender Jeffery Epstein. Roy Moore is another vehement denier of sex accusation involving minors and seems to be getting a pass from the GOP and the people of Alabama as his reward for lying about depravity. Don’t admit wrong doing and you are assumed innocent and get a pass. Are these the men who lead us now? Expect more of the same…sadly. Al Franken must feel bitter, and I feel, he has a earned the right to take a few shots on his way out at lesser men who seem to be getting rewarded for their deceit. Roy Barton, another prominent republican senator from TX; a “bible thumping” religious zealot and internet “Weiney Wagger” has at least announced his upcoming retirement after posting nude pics online. Yuk!

PAX

Franken is out while so many remain. Why is that? I sure that is why he took a shot at Trump who got a pass only because he denied the multitude or sex abuse allegations including a law suit involving the alleged rape of a thirteen year old girl with his friend and billionaire registered sex offender Jeffery Epstein. Roy Moore is another vehement denier of sex accusation involving minors and seems to be getting a pass from the GOP and the people of Alabama as his reward for lying about depravity. Don’t admit wrong doing and you are assumed innocent and get a pass. Are these the men who lead us now? Expect more of the same…sadly. Al Franken must feel bitter, and I feel, he has a earned the right to take a few shots on his way out at lesser men who seem to be getting rewarded for their deceit. Roy Barton, another prominent republican senator from TX; a “bible thumping” religious zealot and internet “Weiney Wagger” has at least announced his upcoming retirement after posting nude pics online. Yuk!

Erica

It is so true that those (with no integrity and no character) who commit unspeakable acts, always look to deflect their wrongdoings by chastising and targeting others for their irresponsible behavior. A real person of integrity and moral fiber, would just take full responsibility for their actions, hold themselves ONLY as accountable for their misdeeds and accept the all consequences and go gracely away.

NO WAY for a Franken type..he will make a scene, drag Trump and others and scream “why not them too”, give fake empty “I am sorry”, say that all stories are not factual (does not matter, if one is true, how asinine)….etc These types are so self righteous, and will preach if you are not like me, you are not good enough to be heard. Must throw Clinton in that mess, as she has never held herself as accountable for anything.

Yes Trump does well on his own to be a moron, needs no help. But since the jackass has taken office my net worth and YOURS has gone up 32%.
Black unemployment is the lowest in 17 years. Illegal border crossing lowest in decades. A new Tax bill to cut red tape and create even more jobs.
Actually implemented Obama’s promise to move Israel capital. And many more positive things have happened, even while a crap load of garbage about Russian BS, horse manure, tweets, and other distracting meaningless stuff is reported.

Hooray for women to bring down the predators, and the boys to speak out against the pranahas, all of them deserve applause for their courage.
As much as we can gulp, I do not feel that if Hillary was elected, these elites would have ever faced justice!

We are in the new era of trials as conducted in Alice in Wonderland – first we have the verdict, then the punishment, but no real trial at all! Now it is clear that some of those men accused of serious misconduct have been guilty of something. But there are a number who do not seem to have commited any wrong worthy of the serious punishment being inflicted upon them.There are women who claim in some cases to have been made ” uncomfortable ” by conduct of some male. Are they such delicate flowers that their discomfort warrants the professional execution of the male? That is what this amounts to, after all, when a man is forced out of a position he may have worked at for a number of years after long training and working his way up the ladder. Of course, we are not talking of men who were building their careers while enjoying the perks of abusing their female counterparts or co-workers.
The current semi-hysterical atmosphere allows for no trial or any semblance of a fair hearing in which the accused might present his explanation of what happened – or even that the alleged misconduct did not happen at all. I do not believe that a man who, for example, ” made a pass ” at a co-worker some years ago, with no follow up action or conduct, should be subject to forfeiture of his career. Imagine a man being publicly humiliated, forfeiting his job and being without the resources to support his family or himself. No judge would be permitted to impose such a punishment for such an offense.
Treating women in the workplace with dignity and fairness has finally been recognized as their right. That was long overdue and it probably has not yet occurred in many such places. It seems almost certain that in our country this will spread in those precincts where it is still lacking.
There will always be conflicts among people in their relationships, given the failings of human beings. We should do our best to have rules that provide for the fair resolution of such conflicts, not rule by denunciation or punishments without justice.

Nobody

Can’t forget about his good buddy Schumer and the five other senators that use the Internal Revenue Service to shut up the critics of Obama !
He got a slap on the wrist, from the Ethics Committee , for using the IRS as a strong arm tool for president Obama !!!
Sounds good Ethics Committee, sounds like it’s going to do, a good job for the American people ? but , its true function, is to cover up crimes done by the Senate and Congress …

Resigning “in the coming weeks”? Hah! He’s just buying time in hopes of finding justification to wiggle out this.

I think that the punishment is too great. Al Franken is a good man. He did some things wrong in his comedic past and now he is paying for it. When will trump pay for his?

Anonomus

Trump was ALL TALK. BIG DIFFERENCE from what THESE PERVS DID & got away with till now.
NO charges were able to stick against the president.
Yet with ALL THE PROOF AGAINST SLICK WILLY in the ORAL OFFICE, HE remained untouched. I won’t even get into all the ‘hits’ the Clinton killing machine has gotten away with. Then we also have BENGHAZI…ON & ON. Russian collusion is ON THEM, NOT PRESIDENT TRUMP! Apparently you’re unaware of Sick SOROS MULTI MILLIONS, funding everything from the crazy women & BLM protests…OH yes, ANTIFA Too, to the Shadow Government, that Muslim BO & the EVIL Clintons are all about. Please educate yourself. I’m embarrassed for you.

JOHN MAYOR

Well, Franken!… I’d suggest a tour– with sundry other “reassigned souls”!… and, that will focus on this topic, and that will RIGHT THE WRONGS OF THE PAST! That is, if you can stand being shoulder to should with the likes of Bill O’Reilly, Kevin Spacey, and Matt Lauer! And who knows!… after MR. PHEWTUS resigns, maybe he might join the tour!
Please!… no emails!… Jesus is Lord!

JOHN MAYOR

Hey PHEWTUS!… how’s your “AIR CONDITIONING” in the Oval Office?

Please!… no emails!… Jesus is Lord!