Finding the right hardside luggage is as simple as knowing what kind of bag you want, and how much you’re willing to spend. In this list, we’ve included three types of hardside bag: carry-on, checked, and specialized hardcase. Carry-on bags are great for those travelers looking to move quickly through the airport process. These bags are lightweight and compatible with most airlines’ policies. That said, always be sure to check and double check your particular carrier as the sizes are updated often and it is well-known that certain carriers do everything they can to nickle and dime their customers.
Checked bags are much larger and can have a more robust set of purposes. Sure, one may seek to never exceed the dreaded 50lb limit (where most carriers impose a fee), but there’s also situations where one may want a bag that can hold more, such as for moving, traveling via car, or other types of transportation. We’ve also included “Sets” on this list, which include a variety of carry-on, checked, and sometimes even larger bags. If you’re interested in luggage sets, check out the best luggage sets for a larger selection.
Finally, hard cases are for protecting sensitive gear. We’ve included a Pelican case on our list and a LowePro case that’s more specifically targeted at photography gear. Both of these cases are great, but if you want to see more options, be sure to check out the best hard cases.
All that out of the way, here’s the 10 best hardside luggage sets from lowest to highest price. Also, be aware of the “Editor’s Choice” option, which tends to reflect the best value at the best price for the most users (though it may not be perfect for everyone).
1. Rockland Melbourne
Dimensions 22″x9.25″x22″ | Weight 6.5lbs |
With its rugged frame and smooth wheels, this Rockland piece is great for a very affordable carry-on hardside solution. Boasting a telescoping handle, four wheels, and a high-quality rigid exterior, it’s tough to beat for the price. That said, some minor issues including problems with the handle (it has a bit of give when fully extended) and the bag can smell a bit when brand new. Still, for the price, the Rockland Melbourne offers great value.
- Easy to use
- Strong and powerful frame
- Wheels roll smoothly
- Called a perfect carry-on
- Telescoping handle when full extended is a bit bendy
- Smells odd initially
2. AmazonBasics Hardside Spinner
Dimensions 20″ x 15″ | Weight 10.3lbs |
Legendary brand AmazonBasics is always a contender. This product is no exception. Boasting a carry-on form factor and a great, rigid build quality, this is a heavy-duty bag. It’s also a bit on the heavy side; similar bags can weigh as little as six pounds (see our lightweight luggage options here). Still, this bag offers a ton of bang for the buck. It has a lined interior, and can expand using a zipper. This is a solid bag with some minor tradeoffs; plus it’s backed by Amazon.
- Expands up to 15% with zipper
- Fully lined interior with handy divider
- High-quality brand with solid durability and great Amazon customer service
- Described as looking and feeling like Samsonite quality
- Great carry-on bag
- Handle can have issues with sticking
- Durability of the wheels isn’t always consistent
3. Kenneth Cole Reaction
Dimensions 21.75″ x 15.25″ x 9″ | Weight 6lbs 7oz |
If AmazonBasics is a bit too basic for you, this Kenneth Cole Reaction bag looks great and makes for a lighter weight carry-on. Plus, the color is hard to miss on the baggage carousel. It fits in standard overhead bins, and boasts comparable construction quality to the Amazon bag, though it’s not quite as heavy-duty. Still, it’s a great size for a day-spanning trip and offers a choice with a bit more personality.
- Praised as a great size for a multiple day excursion
- Lightweight and flexible (for extra capacity)
- Color is praised as attractive
- Fits in standard overhead bin
- Handle can be finnicky after some time
- Interior size may be smaller than some expect
4. Delsey Helium Shadow
Dimensions 25″ x 17″ x 11.5″ | Weight 9.5lbs |
This beautiful Delsey bag is more than just a looker. It’s lightweight, boasts great build quality, and is praised as a great deal for luggage in its class. It’s the perfect size for up to a week of travel, but it’s not a carry-on. This is the real deal. The zippers are great and it’s easy to love with its chic, elegant, and minimalist look.
- Lightweight with solid quality wheels
- Praised as a great value
- Zippers are good quality (though they can occasionally stick around the corners)
- Large capacity
- Perfect size for up to a week of travel
- Durability problems can happen a small percentage of the time
- Zippers aren’t bulletproof
5. Pelican 1500 Case
Dimensions Interior: 16.75″ x 11.18″ x 6.12″ | Weight 8.7lbs |
While this isn’t a conventional hardside case, this case does offer amazing protection for any sensitive gear. It’s a good product to be aware of if conventional luggage isn’t meeting your needs. Pelican Cases boast large interiors, waterproofing, and dustproofing. They’re considered to be the best in the business. The only drawback with these cases is that they’re a bit heavy and the latch can be tough to close. Beyond this, they also lack wheels. Still, for the utmost in protection, they’re hard to beat for the value.
- Waterproof case with air pressure release for maximum protection
- Pelican “Pick n’ Pluck” foam allows for customizing interior as you please
- Considered to be the best maker of hard cased protective gear
- Legendary quality
- Best way to transport sensitive gear
- Latches can be difficult to open and close
- It’s possible to receive this case without an o-ring, meaning the case isn’t perfectly waterproof; be sure to double-check
6. Samsonite Omni Spinner (Editor’s Choice)
Dimensions 28.5 x 20.5 x 13.5 | Weight 10.45lbs |
This Samsonite Omni spinner is hard to beat. Boasting a Nylon interior, an attractive exterior, and high quality parts, it’s great for all kinds of users. This bag is the Editor’s Choice because it boasts anything anyone could want for a piece of checked, hardside luggage. It’s well-built, durable, and has great wheels. While it is slightly heavy, for its size, it’s not bad. Also, thinking outside the airline paradigm, this bag can hold more than 50lbs of weight, which can come in handy for people who are traveling (or moving stuff) via other means of transportation. It’s an amazing all-around choice.
Price: $109.99 (39 percent off MSRP)
- Attractive and eye-catching exterior
- Inner lining is Nylon for maximum softness
- Exterior’s texture is scratch-resistant
- High quality suitcase with plenty of space
- Wheels are smooth rolling
- Cases can develop cracks
- If filled to the brim, baggage will be overweight
7. Hauptstadtkoffer Three Piece Set
Dimensions Bag 1: 21.5 x 13.5 x 7.5, Bag 2: 25.6 x 16.1 x 10.2, Bag 3: 29.5 x 19.7 x 11.8 | Weight Bag 1: 7.1, Bag 2: 9.3, Bag 3: 11.5lbs |
For those in the market for a luggage set, this Hauptstadtkoffer set boasts strong and durable pieces with an attractive exterior and interior. Many love this brand for their smooth and easy to pull wheels and their durable exteriors. They also come in a variety of colors for people who want baggage that is easy to spot on the baggage claim. If you need a variety of bags, carry-on, checked, and huge in size, this is a great set to consider.
- Attractive luggage
- Can handle violent “throwers” at the airport; very durable
- Black interior finish is a nice touch
- Smooth and easy to pull wheels
- Comes in different colors that are easy to see on the baggage claim
- On the heavy side
- Luggage can scratch somewhat easily
8. LowePro Hardside 400
Dimensions 21.69 x 9.21 x 14.80 in | Weight 13.42lbs |
For those in the market for a high quality hardside case with excellent organization catered toward photographers, this LowePro model more than fits the bill. It’s waterproof and dustproof and in the same league as Pelican. This case is great for protecting cameras and other sensitive gear. Its customizable interior allows for plenty of arranging, re-arrange, and what you see is what you get style packing. Plus, the capacity is quite generous. For storage purposes, these units can also be stacked which is always a nice touch.
- Great carrying case for cameras or other gear that needs the utmost in protection
- Waterproof and dustproof
- Can be stacked for storage purposes
- Great for protecting sensitive goods
- Hinge quality could be better
- Durability isn’t as good as Pelican
9. Samsonite Winfield 3 Piece Set
Dimensions 20″, 24″, 28″ |
If you’re looking for an attractive luggage set, the Samsonite Winfield is more than practical, it’s attractive to boot. These bags are loved for their spacious interiors, popping colors, and high quality zippers. Plus, most importantly, the wheels on these bags are durable and spin smoothly. This is a great set of spinners offering one carry-on bag and two larger, checked bags. It’s perfect for a family or a person with a ton of stuff who wants to tote their goods in style.
- Four-wheeled design means pulling bags is very easy
- Number 10 zippers for great durability
- Praised as spacious and durable
- Color is praised as easily visible and attractive
- Bags can be scratched fairly easily
- Durability problems happen a small percentage of the time
10. Samsonite Duraflex Lightweight Hardside Set
Dimensions Bag 1: 20″ x 14.2″ x 9.8″, Bag 2: 28″ x 19.1″ x 12.6″ | Weight Bag 1: 7.35lbs, Bag 2: 11.46lbs |
These Samsonite bags are the cream of the crop. Boasting built-to-last exteriors with great build quality, one may get one less bag than some luggage sets, but these bags are lightweight and will last forever. Plus, the larger bag includes a TSA-lock for keeping your stuff safe. Many love this set for its attractive look and high quality. Needless to say, everything about them is top of the line. From the smooth double wheels, to the retracting handle, these are simply as good as it gets.
- Clean and attractive design
- Pull handle system is easy to use
- TSA lock on larger piece of luggage
- High quality and durable pieces of luggage
- Wheel quality is excellent; both smooth rolling and durable
- On the heavy side
- No handle on the bottom