Chattanooga Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Chattanooga Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Chattanooga shooting

Bullets pierced the glass doors of the military recruiting center on Lee Highway in Chattanooga, Tennessee. (April Grimmett/Twitter)

Four Marines were killed and a police officer was wounded when a gunman opened fire Thursday morning at two military recruiting centers in Chattanooga, Tennessee, officials said.

The gunman, identified by the FBI as 24-year-oldMohammod Youssof Abdulazeez , was also killed. At least two others were injured, including one who is in critical condition. The officer, Sergeant Dennis Pedigo, is in stable condition.

The Marines have been identified as Staff Sergeant David Wyatt, Sergeant Thomas Sullivan, Sergeant Carson Holmquist and Lance Corporal Skip Wells.

The shootings were reported between 10 and 11 a.m. The situation was under control by about 1 p.m.

Here’s what we know so far:

1. The Case Is Being Investigated by the FBI as ‘Domestic Terrorism’

Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez, Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez, Muhammed Youssef Abdulazeez, chattanooga shooter, chattanooga shooting

Zach, Zoe and Melissa Cates add to a makeshift memorial near the scene of a shooting at a Armed Forces Career Center/National Guard recruitment office. (Getty)

The Justice Department said the shooting probe is a “national security” investigation that will be led by the FBI.

Chattanooga Police Chief Fred Fletcher said at a press conference “someone brutally and brazenly attacked members of our armed forces.”

The shooting started at the recruiting center on Lee Highway. The shooter then drove to another facility about eight miles away. The four Marines were killed there at a reserve recruiting and training facility on Amnicola Highway.

The shooter was also killed on Amnicola Highway. Police have not said if the shooter was killed by police or killed himself.

Local, county, state and federal law enforcement officers are investigating the shooting. Several hundred FBI resources are expected to be in Chattanooga to investigate.

The two military facilities are about 8 miles away from one another:

Chattanooga shooting

(Google Maps)

The Navy’s official Twitter account said:

2. A Witness Said a White Male Fired Several Shots From a High-Powered Rifle

Police and State Troopers block entrances to the TN Naval Reserve Center. (Getty Images)

A woman who worked at a restaurant next to the recruiting office on Lee Highway told CNN she saw the shooting.

“I looked out of our window and I seen the guy in his car, a silver Mustang, drop top, a white guy and he had a high-powered rifle and was just firing shots into the Air Force, Navy and Marines office,” Gina Mule told CNN. “I don’t even know how many shots he fired, but it was a lot. … After he got done opening fire, he pulled out really quick.”

She said she saw one man who was shot in the back of the leg, but everyone else was fine other than that.

The other recruiting center is located on Highway near a Coca-Cola bottling plant.

3. The Mayor Called It a ‘Horrific Incident’ & a ‘Nightmare’ for Chattanooga

Members of the FBI Evidence Response Team work the scene of a shooting at a Armed Forces Career Center/National Guard recruitment office. (Getty)

Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke said at a press conference that the shooting is a “nightmare” for the city.

Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam said he was “sickened” and “saddened” by the tragedy.

U.S. Senator Bob Corker, the city’s former mayor, talked about the shooting on the Senate floor:

President Obama has been briefed on the situation.

4. Several Businesses Were Locked Down as Panic Hit the City

Chattanooga shooting

The Lee Highway recruiting center. (Google Street View)

The recruiting center on Lee Highway is located in a shopping center. Several businesses in the area near the Naval Reserve office were locked down or evacuated. The hospital where the wounded victims were taken was also on lock down, as was nearby Chattanooga State University.

Several police vehicles could be seen on Amnicola Highway at about 10:20 a.m., according to posts on social media. Traffic was shut down at the Du Pont exit, according to Peter Guarneri.

There were also reports of a shooting at a mall in Bradley County, but that turned out to be false. The mall was evacuated as a precaution after reports of a shooting there were made, but nothing was found.

5. The Local Blood Bank Called for People to Donate to Help the Victims

A line was out the door at a Chattanooga blood bank after a call went out for donations, local news stations are reporting.

The Chattanooga Blood Assurance organization said there is an “urgent need for donors,” as shooting victims have required multiple units of blood.

Locations of Chattanooga area blood banks can be found here.

Rudy

Four Marines are killed by a Muslim, and it is investigated as domestic terrorism. Nine African-Americans are killed by a white Christian, and it is presupposed that the shooter is mentally disturbed. Okay…

Ann

When an otherwise stable, productive Muslim goes on a shooting rampage against American soldiers, it is most likely Jihad. Many people are taught that waging Jihad is an honor and a duty. I don’t think the white kid had the same kind of encouragement…

How did you know the name of the shooter before it was released? I noticed you published this at 12:07. The name wasn’t released until well after 1300

SteveRM

The blame is equally with the shooter and with the lax additude of the administration towards this issue due to it being a religious issue
fact is
if muslims immigrant families might lose their legal status in the U.s then imigrants will be less likely to go around killing people
if muslim citizens know that by murdering civilians they bring the wrath of the administration upon them and their family they would at least think twice before commiting an act in the name of this hatful religion (don’t let them sell you this crap about it being a peaceful religion , its a peaceful religion that advocates hate against non muslims )

instead the administration is so busy with not offending anyone , they let it pass as a lone gunman (really a lone gunman attacked citizen 20+ times on u.s soil ?)
he wasn’t himself – I beg the differ , he was absolutely himself
he had a harsh life – a lot of them didn’t have a bad life
etc etc etc
excuses instead of action

Obama will be rememberd as the reason ISIS cam to power , as the reason iran started funding more terrorist groups and as the reason Islamic terrorists feel right at home attacking anyone (civilian or armed forces) on U.S soil or anywhere else in the world

LACK OF ACTION BREEDS VIOLENCE
why do you keep refusing to see it ?

SteveRM

Sorry for the typos I got really angry and started writing really fast – the facts still stand

Cleveland Man

Well America, if this hasn’t got your attention then what will? Arm yourselves, not only with physical weapons but you best be wearing your prayer closet out as well! As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. #TakeAstand

mike

Americans can stop these. contact congress and media and tell them to stop muslim immigration now!!!!

Jennifer Royal

You DO understand that being Muslim (the practice of Islam) is a RELIGION, and NOT a nationality, correct?
You also understand that in The United States Of America we have freedom of religion. It’s one of those rights that were protected by a constitutional amendment. Then again, the government has been ignoring the constitution quite a lot over the past 14 years, and no one seems to understand what “shall not be infringed” means despite how simple and clear the language may be.
So I suppose you could just do whatever the hell you want. The Executive Branch does.

Jennifer Royal

There is something to that “mobbing” thing.
I had a group of friends a few years ago that I honestly cared about and trusted, and the person closest to me from that group completely betrayed that trust, not only once but several times in a row. Then others in the group betrayed my trust as well, and shunned me.

An extremely close friend of mine called 911 and said I was suicidal when I wasn’t. As a result police showed up at my house, handcuffed me on my own porch “for my own safety”, yelled at me as if I was a murdered, went into my house illegally to “search for firearms, in order to keep me from hurting myself”, violated my right and my moms rights against illegal search and seizure, THREATENED MY MOM by telling her they can do whatever they want and of she doesn’t comply they’ll get the SWAT TEAM there and arrest her for interfering in an investigation. Then I was stuck in the back of a police car for 45 minutes (still hand cuffed) while they searched my house. They STOLE the three guns we owned (valued at ~$3000, of which they NEVER returned, because they refused to return them, because they are crooked cops). Then I was KIDNAPPED (I was in the back of a police cruiser, in handcuffs, against my will, without charge, and being transported) and taken to an ER for a “psychiatric evaluation”. There I had to be handcuffed to a chair for nearly 5 hours, while sitting next to someone who said they were in prison for 5 years for armed robbery (oh joy). Then I had to give a urine sample (against my will) in order to prove I was not intoxicated, because a doctor will not see an intoxicated patient. Then I had to get undressed and put on a hospital gown… WHILE A MALE NURSE WATCHED ME UNDRESS!!! Why was someone in the room with me while I was changing, and why was is a man!? I’m pretty sure the law says it’s supposed to be someone of the SAME sex, assuming anyone actually NEEDED to be present at all! After that a psychiatrist and eventually the attending physician saw me, and I was released to go home. My mom had been at the ER for hours waiting for me, but they wouldn’t tell her ANYTHING. The assholes.
This crap started at around 8pm, and I didn’t get back home until about 3am or so.
The next day I got a text from someone I knew saying she never wanted to talk to me again. And another text from the bitch who actually called 911 saying “I’m not going to cut off all contact with you like (the other girl) did, but things are going to be different from how they were before”.
Yeah, how kind of you. After you do all of this to me and my mom (but especially me) you have the generosity to “not cut off all contact” with me, how sweet.
When I actually saw her the following week and everyone else we knew, things were just weird for me. She didn’t speak to me at all. I had some time to calm down and I wanted to talk about what happened. I wanted to make people aware of what I had been through, what they had done, the damage it had caused (emotionally, financially, etc.). I put myself out there, I was physically like “hey, here I am, notice me, talk to me, say stuff to me, we need to talk about what happened”, but she just ignored me like I wasn’t there, and that only made me angry.
Other people were acting strange around me as well. People who were normally very comfortable around me were suddenly very distant, quiet around me, would ignore me, or behave differently. I said hello to a few people and they just walked right past me as if I didn’t even exist. One girl said something to me that I’ll never forget, and I almost cried when she said it to me: “I hope you get better soon”. I was like “What do you mean get better? There’s nothing wrong with me”.
Eventually I got so upset, angry, and frustrated that I stormed out and never went back.

I tried to communicate what had happened to me to individual people via email or other means online, but I was met with resistance. Everyone basically turned on me. I only had a couple people on my side at one point, but even they turned on me in the end. I was shunned, treated like I was worthless, less than human, made to feel like I should be dead. I was literally told that “everything that happened was your own fault”, that “you did it to yourself”, that “you need to learn to stand on your own two feet”, that “you need to learn to take responsibility for your actions”, that “you need to own what you did”, and that “you are toxic”.

Because of everything I went through, the way my rights had been violated, the way I had been violated, the way my entire social life had been destroyed, the way no one would listen to me, the way these people kept ignoring me while pushing me further and further away, and also blaming me for their actions (to the point that I actually did blame myself for the longest time at first, which was only corrected with years of therapy), and how I had NO ONE to acknowledge the trauma I had been through, or validate the hell I was going through as a result of everything that had happened previously…
I came to the point were I honestly and sincerely wanted to murder several of the people from the group I used to associate with.
For the first and only time in my life I knew what true hate felt like, and I carried that hate inside me for 2-3 years before it went away.