Glenn Hirsch, ‘Duck Sauce’ Murder Suspect: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

glenn hirsch

Getty Glenn Hirsch is walked from the New York Police Department 112th Precinct station house on June 2 in Queens, New York. Hirsch is facing one count of murder for the shooting death of Zhiwen Yan and two counts of criminal possession of a weapon.

Glenn Hirsch of Briarwood, New York, is the suspect named in the murder of Zhiwen Yan, a delivery driver in Queens. Yan, who worked for a Chinese restaurant called Great Wall Cuisine, was gunned down April 30 while riding his scooter in Forest Hills.

Officials said they believe the murder may have stemmed from a confrontation involving duck sauce months earlier. Hirsch, 51, appeared in court on June 27 to post bail, almost three weeks after a judge set bail at $500,000 in his case, according to The New York Post. He was indicted on second-degree murder and related charges June 1. He will be released after bail was posted on his behalf.

Yan, 45, was killed about 9:30 p.m. April 30 near 108th Street and 67th Drive. He was remembered by his customers as an “unsung hero” for his positivity and perseverance.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Police Found Hirsch’s Refrigerator Stocked Full of Condiments, Including Duck Sauce

Police told the New York Post for a story published June 7 that as they were searching Hirsch’s home in the Queens neighborhood of Briarwood, they found a refrigerator with a large stash of condiments.

“When they were doing their search of the place for the weapons, they looked in the refrigerator, and there were all of these condiments,” the official told the news outlet. “His whole fridge was filled with duck sauce.”

“It was not just duck sauce,” the person added, according to the Post. “It was condiments, duck sauce, ketchup. … It was weird. He’s a hoarder.”

Yan had been married for seven years and had three children — two daughters and a son, according to the Daily News. His widow is Kun Ying Zhao, who also goes by Eva.

Hirsch was charged following an indictment returned June 1. Yan’s death was the culmination of an ongoing dispute, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

In addition to second-degree murder, Hirsch is charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, criminal mischief, menacing and stalking, court documents said. He could face “between 29 2/3 to 44 years-to-life in prison if convicted,” according to Katz’s statement.

The dispute began November 30, 2021, when Hirsch placed an order at Great Wall Cuisine and asked for extra duck sauce, Katz’s statement said.

“Hirsch asked for extra duck sauce packets, which he was given. The defendant became irate, nonetheless, and argued with workers at the eatery. The defendant then insisted he get a refund because he wanted to return the food. But the worker refused to take the order back and Hirsch then called police,” Katz’s office wrote in a press release.

His request to return the food was denied after employees told him they could not accept returned food due to COVID-19 policies.

“The defendant stormed out of the restaurant and in the months that followed, Hirsch allegedly routinely threatened and harassed the restaurant’s personnel,” Katz’s press release says.

On December 16, Yan “allegedly witnessed” Hirsch damaging another employee’s car with a knife, the press release said. Hirsch threatened Yan and other employees, saying he had a gun and to “be careful,” the release said. Three employees followed Hirsch and took pictures of him and his license plate, the press release said.

On January 28, Hirsch approached an employee outside the restaurant while the worker was shoveling snow, Katz’s press release said.

“Hirsch allegedly pointed a black firearm at the man and threatened him, saying in sum and substance, ‘How’s your car? Remember me? I will kill your entire family.’ The man then rushed back inside the restaurant to call the police. When he went back outside, the defendant was gone but the tires on a worker’s car were slashed,” Katz’s release said.

Officials said that on the night of the murder, April 30, Hirsch was observed driving past the restaurant multiple times. He allegedly followed Yan as he was making his deliveries on his scooter. Yan dropped off an order just moments before he was killed, the press release said.

“He then stopped at a red light at 67th Drive and 108th Street,” the press release said. “At that point, the defendant approached the victim on foot. Mr. Yan recognized Hirsch and started to back away on the scooter. But in that moment the defendant allegedly fired a single shot. The bullet ripped into Mr. Yan’s chest; he fell to the ground and died as a result of the single gunshot wound.”

Officials said Hirsch ran to his SUV and drove to his wife’s Briarwood apartment. A search warrant was issued for the apartment, and police said they found eight firearms in a closet.

James Zhao, Yan’s cousin, told the Daily News that Yan only wanted to provide for his family.

“I don’t know how I can explain how I feel,” he said. “We just want to work and make money and lay low and her husband doesn’t do anything wrong, nothing bad.”

Police initially told the Daily News Yan was likely hit by a stray bullet as he rode through Forest Hills on a delivery. He was near 108th Street and 67th Drive at about 9:30 p.m. when a man began firing shots, one which hit Yan in the chest, the news outlet reported. Yan was on his way to his next delivery when he was shot. He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital Center, where he died, the Daily News reported shortly after the deadly shooting.

2. Hirsch Is ‘A Clear & Present Danger,’ Queens Officials Said

Hirsch was initially held without bail following his arrest in the death of Yan, but Queens Criminal Court Judge Kenneth Holder changed his bail conditions June 8 and set bail at $500,000, according to court documents filed in his case.

Rep. Grace Meng, D-Queens, told the Daily News for a story published June 26 that Hirsch should not be released.

“Granting bail would be the wrong decision and we hope that it does not happen,” Meng told the Daily News, according to Yahoo News. “Someone who is a clear and present danger should not be released back into the community that still grieves Zhiwen Yan’s death.”

Family members told the Daily News Yan worked three jobs to provide for his family, including for Great Wall Cuisine on Queens Boulevard, where he worked for 14 years. Great Wall was about six blocks from where the shooting took place, the Daily News reported.

“I keep crying,” Zhao told the Daily News. “He meant everything to me. He took good care of me and the family.”

She told CBS New York they had recently opened a laundromat to help provide for the family.

She tearfully spoke through a translator to the news station about the moment she learned her husband was dead. She arrived at the hospital too late to see him one last time, she said.

“They told me, ‘Your husband died.’ I told them they are lying. My heart broke into pieces. I told him, ‘Please stand up and come home with me,'” Kun Ying Zhao said.

The grief stretched far beyond Yan’s inner circle, leaving a void with customers who remembered him for his friendly spirit, according to Fox 5 New York.

“He was the heart of Forest Hills to so many,” Matthew Murray told the news station.

3. Hirsch Was Being Held in an Infirmary Ward in New York

Hirsch had been held in the North Infirmary Command, a housing facility for inmates who need medical care in East Elmhurst, New York, his prison record shows. His bail conditions include an option for partially secured bond. He is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Yan.

Yan’s customers told the Daily News he referred to his customers as “my friend.” It would take only one delivery for Yan to remember a customer, and he would say “hi” to them on the street, customers told the Daily News.

“He was always very pleasant, always with a smile, always very respectful. Even during COVID, he would deliver,” Great Wall regular Liza Padilla told the outlet. “He was a first responder in a sense. He was always there. When nobody could go out, they were still delivering. And he was one of the delivery people that we cherished.”

Jennifer Trujillo, 47, told the Daily News she would often see Yan on his scooter, and he would always say “hello.”

“You would see him in the building. He always greeted us,” she said. “Even in the street, if he was on his scooter, he would remember us and he would always say hello.”

Another customer, Neil Murray, said Yan would never miss the opportunity to greet his friends.

“You could be two blocks away and he would go, ‘My friend!’ One hand up,” Murray told the Daily News. “He delivered food to us maybe last Saturday. We always order from here. You saw him delivering everywhere. I was up near Kew Gardens and what do I hear? ‘My friend!'”

He said Yan could never be caught in a bad mood. Murray recalled a recent storm when he hesitated to place a delivery order because of the bad weather. Yan arrived in a long green poncho with his typical cheery attitude.

“You never see him have a miserable moment,” Murray told the Daily News. “He’s what I call the unsung hero. No one’s going to pay him attention because he’s just a delivery guy. But out here, he was the greatest.”

4. Hirsch Has 10 Prior Sealed Arrests & His Family Raised Money for Bail

The Daily News reported that Hirsch’s family was trying to raise money to post bail in his case. He has 10 prior arrests, all of which are sealed, the news outlet reported.

Yan’s widow, Kun Ying “Eva” Zhao, started a GoFundMe to help raise funds after her husband’s death. The online fundraiser had generated nearly $220,000 as of June 27.

“I’m starting a fundraiser for my husband because he passed away last night. He was a hardworking delivery man and always provided for his family,” the page said, followed by a link to a news story.

Friends who knew Yan as their delivery driver, and others who simply heard about the story, took the time to send condolences.

“Rest in peace, my Friend. I’m sorry we failed you. Thank you for making the world seem brighter with every wave, smile and greeting,” wrote Geraldine Chadenat.

“We are are so sorry for your family’s loss. I have heard so many ways your husband has touched our community. My deepest condolences to your family during his time,” Mindy Tsoi wrote.

“‘TILL WE MEET AGAIN MY FRIEND ‘ … we will always love you ,,, thank you for those beautiful hellos and smiles and “ the hello my friends” they will not EVER be forgotten,,, HELLO MY FRIEND we will miss you always,” wrote Patricia Pita.

“I’m shocked and so very sorry for your tragic loss. We lived in Forest Hills for 18 years until we moved last year, and we frequently saw Zhiwen Yan’s smiling face. Not only was he always friendly when he delivered food, he would often wave and call out, “Hello my friend!” when we would see him on the street making deliveries,” wrote Jonathan Schweizer. “Forest Hills will miss his presence, but we will be keeping you your family in our thoughts.”

“I’m so sorry,” wrote George Capalbo. “As an Asian American, hearing what happened has broken my heart. We may be strangers but I and thousands of others are thinking of your family tonight.”

5. Duck Sauce Was ‘an Obsessive Point of Contention’ for Hirsch, Officials Said

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced the arrest of Hirsch and said that it appeared the man harassed Great Wall employees for months before the condiment dispute allegedly rose to the level of murder.

“As alleged, a petty dispute over a take-out order became an obsessive point of contention for the defendant who began to stalk and harass employees at the restaurant for months. The tragic end result was the murder of a hard-working employee, who left behind a devastated family and a grieving community. Gun violence is never the answer and will not be tolerated in Queens County,” Katz said. “Following a thorough investigation by my Office and the NYPD, the defendant has been apprehended and will now face justice in our Courts.”

An impromptu memorial sprung up outside the Great Wall restaurant shortly after the murder, including cards and flowers.

“Touching memorial in front of Great Wall for Zhiwen Yan,” Christina Fan of CBS New York tweeted on May 2. “So many handwritten notes say “my friend.” We’re told that was a catchphrase of Yan’s as he rode around Queens 7 days a week making deliveries, always with a smile, always without complaint.”

Friends, neighbors and customers stopped by the memorial to pay their respects.

“He was the nicest person, I’m like, what happened?” Denise Castagna, a neighbor, told Fox 5 New York.

Cheng Long Huang, Yan’s nephew, told CBS New York he was struggling to make sense of the murder.

“At first we all thought he had been robbed, but to find that he was murdered for no reason at all on the street, I can’t understand,” he told the news station.

READ NEXT: Zhiwen Yan: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know