Thummala Narsimha Reddy, ‘TNR’ Dies of COVID-19: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

tnr covid

Creative Commons Actor and journalist Thummala Narsimha Reddy, "TNR," has died from COVID-19 complications.

Thummala Narsimha Reddy, an Indian actor and journalist best known by his initials, TNR, has died from COVID-19 complications, according to India Today.

TNR died Monday, May 10, 2021, in a hospital as India struggled to deal with a surge in cases of the coronavirus. He tested positive for COVID-19 one week earlier. Reddy was 45.

He was best known as an anchor for his YouTube show, “Frankly Speaking, with TNR,” which included celebrity interviews. He also acted in Telugu films.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Reddy Wrote About Shooting a New Film Using COVID-19 Precautions Shortly Before He Tested Positive for the Coronavirus

Reddy wrote on Facebook April 24, 2021, about shooting a new film in a farm house. He said in the post that the crew was taking precautions for COVID-19. They were shooting only in the farm house and using a small crew, and planning to stay at the house until the project was completed. They were also avoiding any travel into the city, he wrote.

Reddy was known best for his YouTube show, “Frankly with TNR,” also called “Frankly Speaking.” He often interviewed celebrities and fellow actors on the show.

Reddy also acted in several Telugu films as a character artist, and worked as an assistant to writer and actor L.B. Sriram, according to News 18. He landed roles in movies including “Boni,” “Nene Raju Nene Mantri,” “George Reddy,” “Subrahmanyapuram” and “Uma Maheswara Ugra Roopasya.”

2. Reddy Suffered Severe Breathing Problems & Low Oxygen Levels Due to COVID-19 & Was Admitted to the Hospital

TNR was admitted to a hospital in Malkajgiri, Hyderabad after testing positive for the coronavirus. India Today reported he was suffering breathing problems and a significant decrease in oxygen levels, “and breathed his last on Monday.”

Gulte reported the day before he died that his pulse rate had fallen, and he was in a “semi-coma state.”

Srinivas Burra, a close friend of Reddy, wrote on Facebook shortly before his death that TNR’s condition had taken a turn for the worst. Burra wrote Reddy was not responding to medical treatment, and asked that commenters use kindness in their words.

Reddy was placed in critical condition Friday, May 8, Burra wrote. Burra and Reddy were friends for 20 years, according to Burra’s Facebook posts.

3. TNR Shared a Movie Trailer in His Last Post on Facebook for the Upcoming Film, ‘Cinema Bandi’

Reddy’s final post on Facebook shared a trailer for an upcoming Indian film, Cinema Bandi, which will be released on Netflix India May 14.

“NICE ONE,” he wrote in the post.

Tragically, Reddy would not live to see the release of the film, a feel-good comedy about a rickshaw driver in a remote village.

Cinema Bandi follows a driver who finds an expensive camera in the back of his rickshaw. The rickshaw driver decides to gather others from his village as actors and crew members to make his own movie.

“Everyone is a filmmaker at heart,” the movie’s tagline says.

4. The Telugu Film Industry & Fellow Journalists Mourned the Loss of TNR

Actors and others within the film industry mourned the sudden loss of Reddy, and fellow journalists also expressed condolences to his family.

“Shocked to hear that TNR gaaru passed away .. have seen few of his interviews and he was the best when it came to his research and ability to get his guests to speak their heart out . Condolences and strength to the family,” Nani, an actor, wrote on Twitter.

“Shocked to hear that my friend TNR passed away… Condolences and strength to the family,” Producer Bandla Ganesh wrote on Twitter.

“Thinking of you fondly, remembering our two long conversations, your genuine interest, love and patience.. Your passing away has left all of us at home shaken, you will be missed TNR sir..,” wrote actor Vijay Deverakonda. “My respects and love..”

5. Reddy’s Sister Contracted COVID-19 Shortly Before TNR & Recovered

TNR’s sister contracted a severe case of COVID-19 shortly before Reddy did. He wrote on Facebook about her recovery, calling it a “miracle.” He said she had been on a ventilator and was recovering April 8, 2021.

That day, he said her ventilator was removed. She remained in the ICU at the time, but was expected to make a full recovery. He asked his friends and fans for continued prayers.

Four days later, he wrote that she had been released from the hospital after two weeks of serious illness. In the post, he thanked the fans for the outpouring of support for him and his family.

READ NEXT: LOOK: Michigan Teacher Cuts Girl’s Hair, Father Says

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x