Was the Pulse Club Shooting in Orlando a Terrorist Attack?

VideoVideo related to was the pulse club shooting in orlando a terrorist attack?2016-06-12T07:58:57-04:00

Authorities investigating a shooting at an Orlando nightclub that left about 50 people dead and more than 50 wounded have classified the incident as a terrorist attack.

Officials said at a press conference, which you can watch above, that they have not yet determined if the shooting is a domestic attack or if there are ties to international terrorism.

The shooting occurred at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, at about 2 a.m. Sunday. The gunman, who was armed with an “assault-type” rifle, a handgun and a “device,” was killed by a SWAT team at about 5 a.m. after police decided to storm the club to rescue about 30 hostages.

“At this point this is an incident we can certainly classify as a domestic terror incident,” Orange County Sheriff Jeffrey Demings said at the press conference Sunday morning.

The investigation is now being led by the FBI. The gunman has been identified by CBS News as Omar Mateen, 29, of Port St. Lucie, Florida.

Local FBI Assistant Special Agent-in-Charge Ron Hopper said at the press conference that there are “suggestions” the gunman “may have leanings” toward Jihadist ideology. Hopper had been asked about whether the shooter was connected to radical Islamic terrorism.

Hopper said they can’t say definitively whether the gunmen is connected to that ideology. He said we’re looking into all angles right now.”

Police said the attacker was “well-prepared” and organized.

No Islamic terror groups, including ISIS, have taken credit for the attack.

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump was among the first politicians to address the shooting and the possible terrorism tie:

The FBI and local police say there is no indication of another threat to the Orlando community or anywhere else in the United States. There were no witnesses reports of a second gunman, but investigators will be looking into whether anyone else was involved in the attack.

“We have no credible threat or singular information to suggest that there is any further threat to Orlando or the surrounding area or anywhere else as it relates to this particular investigation,” Hopper said.

Demings said the Central Florida Intelligence Exchange Center has been activated to share information between local, state and federal police agencies.

The investigation is still in its early stages and police expect to release more information at 9:30 a.m. Sunday at a second press conference.

“We are not just looking at this from one perspective,” Hopper said. “Every resource in the FBI will be brought to bear on this investigation.”

Police have asked anyone with information about the shooting and the gunman to come forward.

“If you have some information, no matter how small you think it may be, that would relate back to today’s events, please share it with us,” Hopper said. “I would urge you to call the 1-800-CALL-FBI public access line, we have phones standing by to take any information or lead whatsoever.”

Hopper said they will be conducting interviews and a huge FBI presence will be seen in coming days.