Steven Nigg: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

jared fogle, steven nigg, steve nigg, steven nigg jared fogle, steve nigg jared fogle, jared fogle inmate attacker

Steven Nigg, left, and Jared Fogle. (Family Photo/Getty)

Former Subway pitchman and convicted pedophile Jared Fogle was attacked by a fellow inmate at a Colorado federal prison in January, according to a prison incident report provided to

The report released by the family of the attacker, 60-year-old Steven Nigg, of Wisconsin, shows Fogle was beaten in the recreation yard of Federal Correctional Institution Englewood, a minimum security facility in Littleton where he is serving his 15-year prison sentence.

Nigg, who is in prison for gun offenses and is not scheduled to be released until 2024, pushed “Fogle to the ground” and struck him “multiple times in the face with a closed fist,” according to the report. Nigg’s only injuries were a small cut on his hand and abrasion on his knee from the concrete, the report states.

Also this week, one of the girls who was secretly recorded in the home of the director of Fogle’s childhood obesity charity has sued the former Subway spokesman for $150,000. The girl says she was recorded while changing clothes, taking a shower and during other private activities while she was a guest in the home of Russell Taylor. The former Jared Foundation director is serving 27 years in federal prison for producing child pornography. He gave the videos of the victim and other minors to Fogle, authorities say.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Fogle Was Left With a ‘Bloody Nose & Scratches to His Neck’ After Being Punched in the Face Multiple Times

steve nigg, steven nigg, jared fogle attack incident report

The incident report in the attack on Fogle.

According to the incident report, which you can read above, the attack occurred on January 29 at noon in the Upper West/SHU’s recreation yard.

Fogle, 38, “sustained a blood nose, scratches to his neck and redness and swelling to his face.”

Nigg, 60, was seen on security cameras and identified by witnesses after the attack. Prison officials investigated for two hours and determined Nigg was at fault. It’s not clear what punishment he received.

Fogle and Nigg both remain at the Colorado prison, according to online records.

2. Nigg Told His Family He ‘Did It for the Victims & Their Families’ After Seeing Fogle Use His Money for Extra Food & Bodyguards

jared fogle judge

Jared Fogle leaves the courthouse on August 19, 2015 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Getty)

After the attack, Nigg told his family he wanted everyone to know “he did it for the victims and their families,” Nigg’s nephew, Jimmy Nigg, told

Steven Nigg said he caught Fogle in the yard with one of his paid bodyguards, and the bodyguard let him attack Fogle, Jimmy Nigg said. Steven Nigg told his family he was frustrated about the Englewood prison and its program for child molesters.

“In his words they were sending child molesters there for a program that did not work and let the molesters off with out serving hard time,” Jimmy Nigg said in an email to Heavy. “He wanted the public to know that these molesters were being sent to their backyard, just feet from schools and homes.”

He said Fogle arrived at the Colorado prison and immediately began “flaunting his money,” using it for extra food and paid bodyguards.

3. He Received a 15-Year Sentence for Gun Crimes Because of Armed Robbery Convictions From the 1970s

Steven Nigg was sentenced in 2011 to 15 years in prison for being a felon in the possession of a firearm with three previous convictions for a violent felony. The charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence.

“Initially, the district judge expressed misgivings about the fairness of a fifteen-year sentence, but nonetheless found that Nigg qualified as an (Armed Career Criminal),” according to Nigg’s appeal.

The prior felony convictions occurred as the result of an Arizona crime spree in 1976, when Nigg was 21. He and a cohort robbed a motel clerk, convenience store and gas station at gunpoint, stealing a total of $670.47, plus cigarettes and gloves. In 1977 he was sentenced to 15 to 30 years in prison, and was released in 1990.

According to court records, he became the executor of his father’s estate after his death in 2009. The estate include 120 firearms. His stepmother said she was suspicious that Nigg was selling the guns, in violation of a probate court’s restraining order, and she hired a private investigator to try to buy the guns.

“On September 4, 2009, the investigator entered Nigg’s consignment shop (which he ran out of his home) and purchased two rifles from Nigg for $1,600,” prosecutors said.

His stepmother contacted the ATF, which began investigating. In 2010, Nigg was indicted. He pleaded guilty in 2011.

4. His Family Says His Stepmother Set Him Up Because She Wanted Control of His Father’s Estate

Nigg’s family and attorneys say he was “set up” by his stepmother, who wanted to take control of his father’s estate, of which he was the executor.

“My uncle spent 15 years in prison doing hard time for his robbery when he was a young man. He spent 20 years living in Wisconsin before he was arrested and convicted of selling the hunting rifles he inherited from my late grandfather’s estate,” Jimmy Nigg told “Steve Nigg (was) the executor of the estate and his role was to sell the land and property of the estate and divide it among the family.”

Nigg appealed his 15-year sentence.

You can read his appeal above or by clicking here.

The sentence was affirmed by a three-judge panel in 2012. Coincidentally, one of the judges who heard the case was Judge Tanya Walton Pratt, who would later sentence Fogle.

The judges wrote that they, “have some sympathy for Mr. Nigg, whose dangerous past caught up with him decades after he had seemingly done come work to rehabilitate himself,” but said the mandatory minimum is the law of the land and they had no way to change the sentence.

5. He Made Annual Appearances as Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny Before He Went to Prison

(Family Photo)

(Family Photo)

Nigg was a contributing member of society after his release from prison on armed robbery charges, according to court documents. Before his sentencing on the gun convictions, the judge received several letters describing his role in the community, including how he volunteered as the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus:

Following his release from prison in 1990, Nigg walked a more straight and narrow path. He moved to Wisconsin, where he cared for his father’s ailing wife until she died. Following her death, Nigg continued to live with his father, until he remarried. Nigg also contributed to his community. Prior to sentencing, the district judge received ‘numerous letters of support testifying to Nigg’s kind and generous character, his willingness to help neighbors, and his involvement in community activities, notably marital arts classes for youth and annual appearances as a volunteer Santa Claus and Easter Bunny.’

But Nigg’s attorney says he did have a few run-ins with the law following his release, including a misdemeanor conviction for criminal damage to property in 1998 and obstructing an officer in 2003. He also failed to pay a series of tax warrants filed by the state of Wisconsin.