Charismatic Nigerian soccer manager Stephen Keshi has lost his wife, Kate, after she passed away in the U.S. following a brief battle with illness. The coach told Complete Sports in his homeland “She was ill for a while now and I’m still in shock of this great loss. She is more like a sister to me and was the rock behind me and everything I do. My love for her was at first sight.”
Here’s what you need to know:
1. She passed away on December 10, reports The Cable in Nigeria. Her husband was with her in the U.S. when she died.
2. In a statement, the Nigerian Soccer Federation said:
This is devastating. To lose a spouse is the equivalent of a tragedy. I pray that Almighty Godwill give you and the children the fortitude to bear this huge loss. Keshi is a Nigerian hero and we mourn deeply with him at this time. This has come like a big blow, but we pray that he receives divine strength to cope with the situation, and we also pray that the Almighty God will grant the departed eternal rest.
3. Keshi, a former captain of the Nigerian soccer team, previously said that he got married at 21 so as to keep groupies away.
4. The couple were previously photographed publicly together at their daughter’s wedding in the African country of Benin, reports NAIJ.
5. Keshi has said that funeral arrangements will be made public in the near future.