It’s hard not to see the resemblance and similarities between Mariya Agapova and Joanna Jedrzejczyk. On Saturday, the former looked more like the UFC great.
Agapova was taking on the tough Hannah Cifers during the prelims for UFC on ESPN 10, and the 23-year-old from Kazakhstan wasted no time showing who the superior fighter was to her opponent.
After a barrage of punches and kicks, Agapova sealed the deal with a rear-naked choke submission win. Take a look:
The 23-year-old is just getting started in her career, and the Jedrzejczyk comparisons add some pressure. However, Agapova is the kind of confident athlete who would seemingly be able to handle the expectations.
With Saturday’s win, Agapova is now 9-1 as a professional with seven of her wins coming by stoppage. The American Top Team professional is obviously getting great training and work with world-class teammates, and it is showing in her performances.
Her victory was one of the most impressive on Saturday and it helped light up an action-packed prelim lineup. Agapova earned one of four $50,000 performance bonuses. Here is a look at the other finishes from UFC on ESPN 10.
Christian Aguilera Upsets Anthony Ivy
Only two underdogs won on Saturday night in Las Vegas, and the first one happened in the event’s opening fight.
In a bout that saw both fighters making their UFC debuts, it was Christian Aguilera emerging victorious with a first-round TKO win over Anthony Ivy.
Take a look:
Aguilera collected one of the aforementioned bonuses.
Tyson Nam Blasts Zarrukh Adashev
If the UFC still gave out a KO of the Night bonus, Tyson Nam would have been the runaway winner for that award on Saturday. His finish of debuting Zarrukh Adashev is enough to make the latter consider a career changed.
Adashev has extensive kickboxing experience, but Saturday’s fight was just his fifth MMA bout. Nam needed just 30 seconds to show him he has some things to work on. Nam also claimed an extra $50,000 for his victory.
Julia Avila Makes Quick Work of Gina Mazany
In one of the biggest mismatches on the card, Julia Avila worked Gina Mazany over with a knee to the midsection and follow-up punches.
Marvin Vettori Chokes Out Karl Roberson
The co-main event was supposed to be competitive, but it didn’t last very long. Marvin Vettori took Roberson down, and after a few scrambles, the Italian secured the choke to force the tap out. He too took home the bonus cash.
UFC on ESPN 10 Results
- Cynthia Calvillo def. Jessica Eye via Unanimous Decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47)
- Marvin Vettori def. Karl Roberson via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 4:17 of Round One
- Charles Rosa def. Kevin Aguilar via Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Andre Fili def. Charles Jourdain via Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jordan Espinosa def. Mark De La Rosa via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Mariya Agapova def. Hannah Cifers via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:42 of Round One
- Merab Dvalishvili def. Gustavo Lopez via Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-25)
- Julia Avila def. Gina Mazany via TKO (Punches) at 0:22 of Round One
- Tyson Nam def. Zarrukh Adashev via Knockout (Punches) at 0:32 of Round One
- Christian Aguilera def. Anthony Ivy via TKO (Punches) at 0:59 of Round One