
Injuries have sabotaged the Chicago Bears‘ plans to build an elite secondary for the 2026 campaign, but there is a potentially excellent solution in front of the franchise if it’s willing to pay for it.
Harrison Graham of “Bears Now” on Friday, August 21 named Atlanta Falcons safety Jessie Bates III as a strong trade candidate for the Bears, noting that it makes sense for both teams at the appropriate price.
“There’s kind of been whispers out of Atlanta that he could be available,” Graham said. “The Falcons could sneaky be pretty bad. They didn’t have a lot of draft capital this year. Javon Walker is out for the year. James Pearce Jr. is suspended 8 games. … I think there’s probably a lot of self-recognition in that building.”
“Considering the Bears situation at safety, Jesse Bates could be an interesting name to monitor,” Graham continued.
Coby Bryant Could Miss Entire Season Following Knee Surgery

GettyChicago Bears safety Coby Bryant.
Bates is entering the final year of his $64 million contract in Atlanta in 2026, which he will play at the age of 29.
So while Bates is still an elite safety — he’s a three-time All-Pro, including twice in the past three years — he also may not be a player the Falcons want to pay on a longterm deal into his early 30s.
Chicago isn’t going to want to do that either after inking Coby Bryant to a three-year contract worth $40 million this offseason and selecting rookie Dillon Thieneman with the No. 25 overall pick in the first round of April’s draft.
However, Bryant is going to miss between four and six months following a knee injury earlier this month and subsequent surgery. That could mean he is out for the entire season.
Those circumstances, coupled with unknowns around starting nickel cornerback Kyler Gordon’s continued soft-tissue concerns, have Chicago’s secondary in a difficult spot with both talent and depth wearing thin weeks before the season even starts.
Bears Might Have to Surrender Day 2 Draft Pick for 1 Year of Jessie Bates

GettyAtlanta Falcons safety Jessie Bates.
Graham suggested Friday that Chicago could utilize a Day 2 pick for a one-year rental of Bates, adding that it only really makes sense if Bryant is out for the entire season and if Chicago believes it can meaningfully contend in the NFC this year.
“It’s a unique situation for the Bears because they made their big investment at safety,” Graham said. “Would this just be a rental because he’s in the final year of his deal? And if the answer is yes, how much are you giving up for a rental safety? It’s tough because if I’m Atlanta, I probably want a decent pick for him. I’d probably want at least a third [round pick].”
One certainty about the Bears is that they have engaged in trade discussions for big-name defensive players on multiple occasions already this offseason. GM Ryan Poles has a history of making aggressive deals, and Chicago is primed to potentially do so again — either prior to Week 1 or ahead of the mid-season trade deadline.
“It’s a signal that the Bears are interested in opportunities. We know they were in on Maxx Crosby earlier this offseason to a certain extent. We now know that they were in on Vita Vea,” Graham continued. “I think it’s pretty clear the Bears need another difference-maker on their defense.”
Bears Trade Pitch Nets All-Pro Safety to Replace Coby Bryant