National Signing Day 2017 has arrived, and the recruiting class for Georgia looks to be one of the best in the nation. Bulldogs head coach Kirby Smart has already peformed well on the recruiting trail this season, snagging several blue chip recruits, but Wednesday’s event could prove even more fruitful as Georgia competes for the top class ranking in 2017.
Georgia’s 2017 class is headlined by DeAngelo Gibbs, a five-star recruit who is ranked as the nation’s top athlete and the 25th-best overall recruit by Scout.com. Georgia also has a signed national letter of intent from Jake Fromm, a five-star quarterback who is the nation’s 28th-best overall prospect and third-best quarterback.
Here are all the rest of Georgia’s recruits who have signed NLIs:
- Richard LeCounte, 4-star safety, No. 43 overall, No. 4 position
- Jeremiah Holloman, 4-star wide receiver, No. 136 overall, No. 19 position
- Monty Rice, 4-star inside linebacker, No. 192 overall, No. 9 position
Georgia has also received 17 verbal commitments from players up and down the recruit rankings. Here’s the details on all of them:
- D’Andre Swift, 4-star running back, No. 37 overall, No. 4 position
- Isaiah Wilson, 4-star offensive tackle, No. 42 overall, No. 7 position
- Andrew Thomas, 4-star offensive tackle, No. 54 overall, No. 9 position
- Walter Grant, 4-star outside linebacker, No. 100 overall, No. 6 position
- Netori Johnson, 4-star guard, No. 100 overall, No. 5 position
- D’antne Demery, 4-star offensive tackle, No. 110 overall, No. 13 position
- Tray Bishop, 4-star athlete, No. 156 overall, No. 10 position
- Robert Beal, 4-star defensive end, No. 167 overall, No. 15 position
- Nate McBride, 4-star inside linebacker, No. 173 overall, No. 8 position
- Jaden Hunter, 4-star outside linebacker, No. 198 overall, No. 13 position
- Malik Herring, 4-star defensive end, No. 215 overall, No. 19 position
- Devante Wyatt, 4-star defensive tackle, No. 226 overall, No. 12 position
- Justin Shaffer, 4-star guard, No. 239 overall, No. 16 position
- Trey Blount, 4-star wide receiver, No. 254 overall, No. 33 position
- William Poole, 4-star cornerback, outside national overall rankings, No. 31 position
- Mark Webb, 4-star wide receiver, NR, No. 55 position
- Matt Landers, 3-star wide receiver, NR, No. 59 position
The quality of Georgia’s class might burgeon even further on National Signing Day, as uncommitted 5-star defensive tackle Aubrey Solomon will make his announcement. Georgia is one of four schools (Alabama, Clemson and Michigan are the other three) Solomon is still considering. He is the 11th-best overall prospect and ranked second-best at his position.
Georgia is also waiting to see if it will get a commitment from 5-star guard Tedarell Slaton. Ranked 32nd overall and second at his position, the Bulldogs are on his short list of three teams that also includes Florida and Michigan. If Georgia is able to snag Slaton and Solomon on Wednesday, that could easily put them into the spot of best class for 2017.
Even without the potential additions of Slaton and Solomon, the Bulldogs are strong contenders for the top class in the nation.
Scout.com currently ranks the Georgia class second to Alabama, with five more 4-star recruits than the Crimson Tide. Rivals.com is a little lower on Georgia currently, slotting the Bulldogs third to Alabama and Ohio State. 247sports.com agrees with Rivals, ranking Georgia third going into National Signing Day.
Fans interested in following the Bulldogs on National Signing Day have a few options. Georgia has a Signing Day Broadcast scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. EST on Wednesday, and Kirby Smart has a press conference at 1 p.m. EST. Fans can follow the announcements on the Bulldogs’ Facebook, Instagram and Twitter feeds as well.