Ex-Strikeforce champ passes test in England
UFC 141 still needed one test.
If Overeem failed, it would sure be a mess.
But Dana hit Twitter and nodded his head,
And let the fans know they had nothing to dread.
With apologies to Clement C. Moore’s “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,” just like that, the UFC 141 main event that was never actually off was back on. “Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night.”
UFC president Dana White on Tuesday let the world know next week’s heavyweight showdown between Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem was safe and sound and going on as planned. “Overeem is ready to go!!! Lesnar vs Overeem is on!,” White said on Twitter.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission also confirmed the news with HeavyMMA.com on Tuesday morning. Included in an official email from Keith Kizer was a letter from Overeem’s doctor stating that his second sample, as collected earlier this month, was destroyed and never tested.
Overeem ran into a brief hiccup with the Nevada State Athletic Commission last week when it came time to get a license for his five-round main event against Lesnar, a former UFC heavyweight champ. Both fighters were required to submit to pre-fight drug screenings. But Overeem didn’t take his when the NSAC requested it, and several weeks passed before the issue was brought to light at a commission hearing on Dec. 12. As part of being granted a conditional license for the fight, Overeem was asked to leave Holland and take a drug test at an NSAC-approved lab in England. He also will have to take two random post-fight drug tests up to six months following the fight.
The results of his England test are back, however, and the former Strikeforce heavyweight champ is cleared for UFC 141. Overeem did take a test, he told the NSAC under oath last week, after understanding what was being requested of him – but it was a blood test, and not the NSAC-required urine sample. He also, according to testimony at last week’s hearing, sent a urine sample to his own doctor – but didn’t undergo a test at an independent lab.
Overeem was released from his Strikeforce contract over the summer while he was heavyweight champion, only to sign later with the UFC for a fight against Lesnar. The winner of their main event Dec. 30 in Las Vegas will face Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight title.
Discuss on Facebook