Here’s what you need to know:
1. Winston Made the Decision to Declare Tuesday Night
Winston’s father, Antonor, initially told ESPN that his son would wait until after Monday’s College Football Playoff title game to make a decision. But the elder Winston told ESPN’s David Hale Wednesday that after thinking more about the situation Tuesday night, the quarterback decided he was ready.
Yahoo’s Dan Getlin reported Tuesday that Winston had been “seriously considering” staying at FSU for one more year.
2. Winston Had 2 Years of Eligibility Remaining
Winston, a third-year sophomore, had two years of eligibility left. But he’s considered physically mature and has a high enough football IQ to play in the league next year, despite the baggage he brings.
3. Winston Lost Only 1 Game at Florida State
Winston, who’s also the closer on the Florida State baseball team, led the Seminoles to their second straight undefeated regular season and a berth in the inaugural College Football Playoff before FSU lost to Oregon New Year’s Day in the Rose Bowl — Winston’s first loss as a starter. He finished 26-1 as the Noles’ starter.
4. Winston Was Cleared of Violating FSU’s Student Conduct Code
A retired Florida state Supreme Court justice appointed by the university found in December that there was insufficient evidence to charge Winston with violating FSU’s student conduct code when a female FSU student accused Winston of raping her in 2012.
5. Marcus Mariota Is Expected to Be the 1st QB Taken
Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, the 2014 Heisman winner, is expected to be the first quarterback taken — and possibly the first player taken overall — in the draft.
Discuss on Facebook