
While C.J. Stroud and the Houston Texans remain far apart on terms for a new contract extension, previous word on the fourth-year quarterback’s asking price has been greatly exaggerated and, as some have since suggested, outright falsified.
Stroud remains under contract with the Texans through 2027, which would be on his fifth-year option if nothing materializes.
It remains unknown what the price point for either side actually is.
C.J. Stroud Asking Price Rumor Walked Back

GettyC.J. Stroud was the subject of a rumor that turned out to be an opinion.
Initially, ESPN 97.5’s Jeremy Branham responded to an inquiry about Houston sports reporter Will Kunkel’s post, which relayed a report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Stroud and the Texans remaining far apart on contract talks.
“Texans want him at $50-55m, Stroud wants $70m,” Branham posted on August 20.
The tone of the post convinced many that it was meant to be a report, with Kunkel going so far as to make a reaction video to the apparent news about Stroud.
“Things get out of hand quickly,” Over The Cap’s Troy Chapman posted in reaction to the situation. “Stroud has not requested $70m APY for an extension.
Branham also faced heavy scrutiny from Texans fans and media members, and even outright backlash. He was left explaining that he is not a reporter, but rather a radio host and, perhaps most importantly, he is a self-proclaimed “take machine.”
“Here is my counter: how is that a take?” the Houston Chronicle’s Jonathan M. Alexander posted on X on August 21. “That sounds like a statement.
“You being a member of the media (a guy people look to for sports) only magnified that.”
Branham again explained his logic, saying he used deductive reasoning to determine the two ranges, to which Alexander responded, saying that the explanation framed the situation much differently than the original post.
Despite Branham’s attempts, the backlash continued over what many believed was a report turning out to be nothing more than another opinion shared on social media.
What We Know About C.J. Stroud & Texans Contract Talks

GettyC.J. Stroud has said that he wants to remain with the Texans.
Branham’s situation provides a good time to rehash the knowns about Stroud’s situation with the Texans:
- Stroud is under contract with the Texans through 2027. He has cap hits of $11.5 million in 2026 and $25.9 million in 2027
- Stroud’s camp (agent David Mughuleta) and the Texans’ front office (led by general manager Nick Caserio) have continued to discuss terms for a possible extension)
- The two sides remain far apart as of August 20, per Schefter
- Stroud has said he wants to stay with the Texans, and that he feels he has earned an extension
- The Texans (including Caserio, ownership, and head coach DeMeco Ryans) have all praised Stroud this offseason, but have remained mum on his future.
- Houston can use the franchise tag up to three times if needed.
Anything beyond that is just conjecture. The Texans have been aggressive with the players around Stroud. Namely, Azeez Al-Shaair, Danielle Hunter, Nico Collins, and Will Anderson Jr. all received new or revised deals so far in 2026.
The Texans selected Stroud second overall during the 2023 draft. Despite his struggles during the 2025 postseason, he showed progress during the regular season.
Stroud and the Texans were also short-handed in their final postseason tilt.
The Texans are surely aware of the context around Stroud’s struggles during the 2025 playoffs, even if they wanted to see him improve, too. That is why they have spoken as strongly as possible without giving up all of their leverage in contract talks.
C.J. Stroud Update Takes Down False Narrative About Texans QB