Raiders Get Strong Take on QB Situation After Beating Texans

Klint Kubiak, Las Vegas Raiders
Getty
(Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Klint Kubiak’s comments about the Las Vegas Raiders‘ QB situation following the team’s 22-20 win over the Houston Texans on Aug. 20 at NRG Stadium are being analyzed by the national football media.

After the win, Kubiak was asked if veteran Kirk Cousins will be the team’s Week 1 starter. However, the Raiders head coach chose not to make anything official as the team heads into their final preseason game on Aug. 27 against the San Francisco 49ers at Allegiant Stadium.

With Cousins not playing against the Texans, Fernando Mendoza played the entire first half. The No. 1 pick in the 2026 NFL Draft went 8-for-15 on his pass attempts for 86 passing yards, including one interception and one sack.

On the Aug. 21 edition of “PFT Live,” NBC Sports NFL insider Mike Florio shared his thoughts on Kubiak’s comments regarding the Raiders’ QB situation.

“See, anytime I hear a comment like that about your supposed starting quarterback, I ask myself, ‘What would we say if Andy Reid said that? What would we say if Joe Brady said that? What would we say if Jesse Minter said that?'” Florio said.

“So it’s obvious that we’ve gone from Kirk Cousins is the starter and Fernando Mendoza is going to get a sprinkling of first-team reps to it’s Kirk Cousins’ job to lose. Well, we still got a week to figure it out. It’s moving that way, and I don’t know whether this was all driven by limited partner and absentee landlord Tom Brady to sit Mendoza.”


Raiders Want Fernando Mendoza to Earn Starting QB Job

Moreover, Florio believes that once Kubiak feels that Mendoza has done enough to earn the QB1 job, the Raiders will announce that the former Indiana Hoosiers star will be their starter.

“We talked about that last week and whether or not they’re just trying to coax him to make the decision that they’re going to go with Mendoza,” Florio added. “But you want to build some confidence in the player.

“You want to make him feel like he’s achieved something. You don’t want people to think he’s had anything handed to him. He’s come out and he’s proven it… We still have more time, and by the time we get to preparation for the game at Miami, I’m willing to put my marker, I’m willing to owe you possibly three dinners on Fernando Mendoza being the Week 1 starter.”


What Did Klint Kubiak Say About the QB Situation?

Despite Mendoza’s performance and the fact that Cousins didn’t play against the Texans, Kubiak isn’t ready to officially name the veteran the starting QB for Week 1.

“We’ve got another week of playing,” Kubiak told reporters when asked about whether it’s safe to say that Cousins is their starting QB. “I don’t want anyone to be comfortable in their job. It should always be that way from all positions. We just keep going forward.”

Moreover, Kubiak explained what went into his decision to rest most of his starters for this preseason game in Houston.

“That was the plan all along,” Kubiak added. “When we have those joint practices, they get so many reps. That joint practice is the game, and the guys understood that going in. That’s how we decided to play it.”

0 Comments

Raiders Get Strong Take on QB Situation After Beating Texans

Notify of
0 Comments
Follow this thread
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please commentx
()
x