Steelers Would Need ‘Crazy Offer’ to Trade Joey Porter Jr.: Insider

Pittsburgh Steelers, Joey Porter Jr.
Getty
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND - DECEMBER 07: Joey Porter Jr. #24 of the Pittsburgh Steelers celebrates after breaking up a pass during the fourth quarter against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium on December 07, 2025 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

The Pittsburgh Steelers suddenly found Joey Porter Jr. at the center of trade speculation Thursday night, but it didn’t take long for one of the team’s longtime insiders to pour cold water on it.

NFL insider Jordan Schultz reported that multiple teams around the league had wondered about Porter as a potential trade target while the cornerback remains without a contract extension entering the final year of his rookie deal.

That report immediately raised questions about whether Pittsburgh could consider moving one of its top young defenders rather than paying what has become a massive price at cornerback.

According to Steelers correspondent Mark Kaboly, though, there doesn’t appear to be an actual trade market forming around Porter.


Steelers Reportedly Have ‘Zero Interest’ in Joey Porter Jr. Trade

Mark Kaboly said Friday that he checked with multiple league sources and found no evidence that trade talks involving Porter have taken place.

“Did some snooping around and the Steelers haven’t gotten a single inquiry about trading Joey Porter Jr. and haven’t made any calls either, per multiple league sources. The Steelers have zero interest in trading Porter unless there is a crazy offer (2 first rounders or something like that).

“As for getting a deal done by Sept 13?”

That changes the temperature around the situation considerably.

Schultz’s original report said teams had “wondered about” Porter as a possible target. Kaboly’s follow-up indicates none of that curiosity has advanced to an inquiry with Pittsburgh, while also making the Steelers’ position clear: They aren’t shopping him.

The hypothetical price Kaboly tossed out also speaks to how highly Pittsburgh still values Porter. Two first-round picks would be an enormous return for any cornerback and hardly suggests the Steelers are looking for a convenient way out of contract negotiations.

Porter has developed into one of Pittsburgh’s most important defensive players since the Steelers selected him No. 32 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft.

He started all 14 games he played last season and finished with 52 tackles, a career-high 14 passes defensed, one interception and the first sack of his NFL career. His 14 passes defensed led the team.


Joey Porter Jr. Contract Remains the Bigger Steelers Question

The trade chatter may have been cooled off, but Porter’s future in Pittsburgh is still unresolved for a different reason.

He is the remaining major extension candidate from the Steelers’ 2023 draft class after Pittsburgh already struck new deals this offseason with Nick Herbig, Darnell Washington and Keeanu Benton.

The price at cornerback has also continued climbing.

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Devon Witherspoon agreed to a four-year, $132 million extension in August that averages $33 million per season. Denzel Ward and Trent McDuffie have also landed contracts worth more than $31 million annually this offseason.

That helps explain why Porter’s negotiations have become a much bigger financial decision than the other extensions Pittsburgh has completed.

General manager Omar Khan said earlier in training camp that the Steelers remained interested in keeping Porter, but nothing was imminent at the time.

The clock is also beginning to matter. Pittsburgh opens the regular season against the Atlanta Falcons on Sept. 13, and Khan has confirmed the organization plans to maintain its longstanding policy of not negotiating contracts once the season begins.

0 Comments

Steelers Would Need ‘Crazy Offer’ to Trade Joey Porter Jr.: Insider

Notify of
0 Comments
Follow this thread
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please commentx
()
x