One Dead During Arlington, Texas Standoff: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Just after 6 a.m. this morning, police in Arlington, Texas, received the call of shots fired at an apartment complex in the town. After arriving on scene, police discovered a man barricading himself inside an apartment, armed to the teeth, creating a tense standoff situation, reports The Dallas News.

The standoff ended after seven intense hours when the man surrendered to officers.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. One Person Was Killed

Arlington Texas Standoff Guns Person Shot Arlington Texas Silverwood Drive.


Police confirmed there was one wounded person early on; that person’s exact condition was not revealed. There were no hostages in the incident. NBC Dallas reports that police know the identity of the gunman but are not releasing it publicly. The Dallas News reports that the man who died was in his 30s.

2. The Gunman Opened Fired on Cops

The suspect shot at police when they arrived. First responders to the address heard multiple shots being fired. In response, the SWAT team from nearby Grand Praire were deployed, reports CBS DFW.

3. The Man is Armed With ‘Multiple Weapons’

Arlington Texas Standoff Guns Person Shot Arlington Texas Silverwood Drive.


Police spokesman Lt. Christopher Cook has said that the man has “multiple weapons” and the unfolding situation is “very serious.”

4. Police Are Trying to Negotiate With the Gunman

The man has not responded to police attempts at negotiation. Cook has said that police are using a PA system and bullhorn to open a dialogue with the shooter. NBC Dallas later reported that some contacted was made with the man via a cell phone but he refused to surrender.

5. There is No Motive For the Action

Police do not have a motive for the action. The apartment complex, located on Silverwood Drive and Avenue J (above) has been evacuated. Cook said: “We’re not sure what the motive is. We do have the apartment complex completely surrounded.” CBS DFW reports that the complex houses 24 people, including children, one woman was holding a toddler as she left. Police are telling residents in the neighboring area to stay in their homes until the situation is resolved.

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Discuss on Facebook