Shots were fired at the Maple Grove Baptist Church in Waynesville, North Carolina. A gunman is holed up inside of the church. There are no confirmed reports of victims at this time. The town of Waynesville is 30 miles west of Asheville, North Carolina. The call of shots fired came in at 3:15 p.m.
This is a breaking story so stay tuned for updates.
Here’s what we know so far:
1. WRGC radio reports that around six miles around the church have been closed off by police.
2. Speaking to CNN, Sergeant Heidi Warren with Haywood County Sheriff’s office said responding officers were looking for a man who was in the church. Warrend said “We received calls of shots fired but we do not have confirmation of that and there are no victims that we know of. Law enforcement has secured the scene but it’s still unfolding”
3. Shots were reportedly been fired out from inside the church, reports the Asheville Citizen Times. As of 5 p.m. Eastern, the official word from police is that the gunman is not in the church.
4. Officers were fired upon during the attack.
5. According to the church’s website, the congregation is led by Pastor Tommy Carlisle. The church describes itself as “We are self- governing and self-supporting. The head of the church is the Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible is our sole authority for faith and practice. It is our desire to be a truly New Testament church.”
Discuss on Facebook