Two men were arrested after Canadian police say they opened fire on attendees of a Quebec City mosque Sunday night during prayers, killing six people and wounding eight others. They have been identified in local media reports as Alexandre Bissonnette, a 27-year-old Quebec native, and Mohamed Khadir, who police later cleared as a suspect and released. Little is known about the two men, who are both students at a Quebec City university, but more information has emerged so far about Bissonnette, through his now-deleted Facebook page. Police say they are still investigating to determine a motive for the shooting. A witness said the gunmen, who were wearing masks, yelled "Allahu Akbar," a phrase that means "God is great," in Arabic. They entered the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec about 8 p.m., and were caught less than an hour later. Police and politicians are calling it a terrorist attack, La Presse reports. The victims range in age from 39 to 70, police said. They have not yet been identified publicly. "Why is this happening here? This is barbaric," the mosque's president, Mohamed Yangui, told reporters. He was not at the mosque at the time of the shooting, but rushed to the scene after calls from members of the community. The terror case is being led by the Quebec Provincial Police, along with Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Quebec City Police. Click through the gallery to see more photos of Bissonnette and learn what we know about him and the shooting so far. (Facebook)
Read more about Alexandre Bissonnette here. You can read about the other suspect, Mohamed Khadir, here.
Discuss on Facebook