Michael Chesna: A Tribute to the Fallen Officer

Michael Chesna

Facebook/WPD Weymouth Police Department Offcier Michael Chesna was shot and killed Sunday morning while trying to stop a burglary.

Weymouth Police Officer Michael Chesna was shot and killed Sunday morning in the line of duty by a fleeing suspect who’d attacked the officer with a large rock, grabbed his gun, shot the officer repeatedly and then fleeing again, shot into the home of a resident killing the occupant. That person has not yet been identified.

Emmanuel ‘Manny’ Lopes, 20, is facing two murder charges.

Officer Chesna, 42, was an Iraq and Afghanistan war veteran. Sworn in 2012, Chesna was a Weymouth native.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Lopes Crashed a BMW & Fled. Chesna Gave Chase, & Was Attacked by Lopes Who Seized the Officers’ Gun & Shot Chesna Repeatedly in His Head & Body

According to the Office of Norfolk District Attorney Michael W. Morrissey, Weymouth Police were responding to a report of a driver operating erratically when they came upon a BMW crashed in the vicinity of South Shore Hospital.

The operator of that car had fled on foot. Weymouth officers, including Chesna, responded to the area to locate that operator.

The DA said Chesna found Lopes in a Weymouth neighborhood, Burton Terrace where it intersects with Torrey Road, and Lopes was vandalizing a home at the time.

Spokesman David Traub said, “Chesna exited his vehicle, drew his service weapon and began issuing commands to Lopes.
Lopes is then alleged to have struck Officer Chesna in the head with a rock, causing the officer and his gun to fall to the ground.

Lopes is then alleged to have taken the officer’s weapon and discharged it repeatedly into his head and torso. He was later transported to nearby South Shore Hospital but did not survive.”

2. The DA said Another Officer Was on Lopes & Shot Him But Lopes Kept Going & Fired Into a Home Killing its Occupant

The DA said within moments later, another Weymouth officer arrived and fired at Lopes hitting him int he leg, but Lopes managed to run “through adjacent yards and is further accused of discharging Officer Chesna’s firearm into a nearby home, killing the occupant,” the DA’s statement read in part.

Authorities will release the name once a next of kin notification is done.

Emanuel “Manny” Lopes, 20, will either be arraigned on two counts of murder at the Quincy District Court or at the South Shore Hospital if he is not medically available for transport to court. Details on that will be released when finalized.

As the early investigation unfolded, state and local investigators were visibly shaken and frenetically working the scene.

The streets near the incident were filled with officers all morning from Weymouth and Quincy police departments and Massachusetts State Police as well as investigators from the Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office.

The investigation is ongoing.

3. Chesna Became a Police Officer in his Hometown of Weymouth 6 Years Ago

“I have a job to do, and my job is no different than if my classmate was a dentist,” Chesna said when he took his oath in December of 2012. “If that is what your job is, you do it.”

Chesna, a 1994 Weymouth High School graduate, said he always wanted to become a police officer while growing up in Weymouth.

“I’m familiar with the town, and it’s a nice town,” Chesna said at the time.

Monday would have been his six year anniversary with the department.

4. Chesna Was an Iraq & Afghanistan Combat Veteran Who Was Married With Two Kids

Chesna served in the US Army from November of 2006 until June of 2011. Stationed in Ft Drum New York, Chesna did combat tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He was the married father of two young children.

His wife is Cindy (Doran) Chesna. Her Facebook features hundreds of photographs of her husband and children from their births to a trip to Disney World less than a month ago.

Family member Kristen Riley Chesna updated her Facebook page with the following image.

5. A Procession of Blue Began Arriving at the Hospital & Soon Officers & First Responders by the Hundreds Escorted Chesna’s Body

It began with a steady stream of prayers lifted and thoughts offered.

And soon police officers began to arrive in great numbers to stand watch at the hospital. Within a few hours of the incident, hundreds and hundreds of police and first responders were in Weymouth.

Officials announced he was dead at a 1:30 p.m. press conference.

“This is an awful day for Weymouth and for Massachusetts. Our hearts are very much with the surviving families of these victims,” District Attorney Michael Morrissey said.