100 Oaks Mall Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Google Maps One Hundred Oaks Mall in Nashville.

An inmate from a detention center is dead after he grabbed a weapon from a deputy and opened fire at 100 Oaks Mall in Nashville on June 28.

The deputy that was shot sustained critical injuries and was transported to a nearby hospital for emergency treatment.

Police responded to the mall in large numbers after the shots were fired at the 100 Oaks campus, home of Vanderbilt University’s Health Center. An internal alert from Vanderbilt said that there was no longer an ongoing threat, but authorities continued to case the building as part of the investigation.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. The Inmate Was Being Escorted by Deputies When He Grabbed the Gun

Metro Nashville Police said that two deputies from the Robertson County Sheriff’s Office were escorting an inmate to the medical facility for a doctor’s appointment when he got into a confrontation with them. According to Fox 17 News, the inmate broke free and grabbed a gun from one of the deputies and immediately opened fire, critically injuring the deputy.

Robertson County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Ryan Martin said to The Tennessean that the officer was “attacked” by the inmate and deadly force had to be used by the other deputy to control the situation.

“The inmate has been shot and is now deceased,” he said.

The shooting took place inside of the 100 Oaks facility, which is a medical office complex.

2. At Least 2 People Were Seen Being Transported to Hospitals

Police said that the deputy was “critically injured” from the shooting incident and ambulances were seen taking at least two people on stretchers to two different hospitals.

“The officer is being treated and transported to a local hospital,” Martin said to The Tennessean.

A dispatcher for the Metro Police told The Tennessean that the shooting was reported at the facility at 719 Thompson Lane around 1:35 p.m. After receiving the call, police gathered at the back parking lot, and “dozens” of police, SWAT team members and ambulances arrived at the scene.

An electrical contractor who was working nearby, Chip Balduf, told The Tennessean that he was forced into the parking lot because of the large response.

“We were just trapped,” he told the outlet. “It was just quiet one minute and then the next minute we were pretty much forced into a parking lot by a bunch of police cars coming in.”

3. Those Inside the Facility Were Ordered to Shelter in Place

Hours after the incident occurred, members of the SWAT team were seen sweeping the building, and a voice over the intercom system was heard telling staff members to shelter in place.

A witness that was inside of the facility waiting for an appointment told The Tennessean that nurses screamed at people to “move.” She added she was ushered into a room where about 40 people were sheltering.

“We heard all the nurses saying, ‘you have to come in here,’” Foley said to the publication. “They locked us up in the room and made us stay there.”

Vanderbilt University Medical Center spokesperson John Howser issued a statement on behalf of the facility saying that the safety of patients and employees was the first thing on their minds.

This afternoon at one of our clinics on the Vanderbilt Health One Hundred Oaks campus there was an incident involving law enforcement officers from Robertson County escorting an inmate. The incident was quickly resolved but resulted in the inmate being shot and is deceased and one officer being transported to Vanderbilt University Adult Hospital for treatment. There were no other injuries from this incident. In accordance our policies, and out of an abundance of caution, employees and visitors on the One Hundred Oaks campus were advised to shelter in place while a thorough sweep of the building was conducted by law enforcement officers. The safety and well-being of our patients and employees is always our first concern.

4. Entrances to the Mall Were Closed & Traffic Built up Around the Mall

As the incident continued to unfold, authorities shut down multiple entrances at the mall and roads in the area were closed as well as they responded. Traffic was backed up around the mall and significant delays by motorists were reported.

Police shut down Thompsons Lane to Murfreesboro Road to I-440 so that emergency vehicles could get through without any trouble.

5. The Medical Center Offers Pediatric Services to Patients

The 100 Oaks Mall was originally build in the early 1960s, but fell into disrepair and became outdated with declining sales taking their toll.

The mall decided to partner with Vanderbilt to “re-vision the deteriorating retail center into a successful, mixed-use medical office destination,” the construction firm Gresham Smith wrote on its website.

The entire mall is 880,000-square feet, including 300,000-square feet of is being dedicated to Vanderbilt’s medical center. The mall gets its name because 100 oak trees were planted on the site when it was re-visioned.