May 4, 2015 is the unofficial “Star Wars Day” holiday because the easily made pun on the movie catchphrase “May the Force be with you” to “May the 4th be with you.” The pun was first spun on May 4, 1979 by the London Evening News, who in their congratulatory inauguration headline to former United Kingdom Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher wrote “May the Fourth Be with You, Maggie.” Since 1979 the phrase has been celebrated by grassroot celebrations and later on social media once the Internet was invented. An official celebration at Disney Parks was launched in 2013 after Disney bought the film rights from George Lucas. Read on for the top 10 best Star Wars quotes and jokes!
1. “If there’s a bright center to the universe, you’re on the planet that it’s farthest from.” – LUKE SKYWALKER – A NEW HOPE
2. “Fear is the path to the dark side.” – YODA – THE PHANTOM MENACE
3. “There’s always a bigger fish.” – QUI-GON JINN – THE PHANTOM MENACE
4. Q: What did the rancor say after he ate a Wookiee? A: Chewie!
5. “Luke, I don’t want to lose you to the Emperor the way I lost Vader.” – OBI WAN KENOBI – THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
6. “Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force.” – YODA – REVENGE OF THE SITH
7. Q: What do you call a Jedi who loves tacos? A: Obi-Juan Kenobi
8. “There is good in him. I’ve felt it.” – LUKE SKYWALKER – RETURN OF THE JEDI
9. “Remember…the Force will be with you, always.” – OBI WAN KENOBI – A NEW HOPE
10. “The force is strong with this one.” – DARTH VADER – A NEW HOPE