When it comes to beautiful hair, some people just get lucky. Either they have that silky, shiny hair with lots of bounce and body, or they have the perfect ringlets that we have permed our hair to death trying to emulate. Over the years, I’ve learned one thing for certain. No matter what kind of hair you have, you’re almost always searching for a way to make it look different. Perhaps you chose a different color or cut that went into and right back out of style. (I’ve had many of both.) But curls have been a no-fail hair option for centuries. Just look at the pictures of women from Marie Antoinette to Sophia Loren to Beyoncé. From tight ringlets to long, sexy, and swooping, the most alluring women wear their hair curled.
So how can you achieve those dramatic results at home without spending endless hours and damaging your hair? It starts by using the right hair products and tools. First, find the shampoos and conditioners that will keep your hair moisturized and healthy. If you’ve got oily hair, using the right shampoo might be even more important. And since sleeping in rollers is a thing of the past, a great blow dryer is essential to getting ultimate volume and lift. While curling irons can create a great head of beautiful waves or curls, hot rollers might offer a better solution with less heat damage to your hair.
It’s interesting that today’s heated rollers are both old and new school. Some use ionic and ceramic technologies for reducing heat damage and frizz. Others rely on good old steam to do the job. They create long lasting curls, from tiny ringlets and beachy waves to those big, voluminous curls that make your hair look thick and luxurious. Whatever look you’re going for, there are hot rollers to do the job both quickly and effectively.
If you’re trying to refine your morning routine, or just getting ready for an evening out, consider this. You can blow dry and set your hair in hot rollers, then apply your moisturizer, make-up and a spritz of perfume. Once you’ve got your face finished, just slip on your suit or your sexy black dress, slip out your rollers and simply run your fingers through your hair. Voila! You’ve got gorgeous, head turning curls that just need a touch of hairspray before you dash out the door. If you’re ready to get your curl on, check out these Top 10 Best Hot Rollers.
1. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Professional Hot Rollers
The BabylissPRO Nano Titanium professional hot roller set features 20 velvety flocked rollers in three different sizes: six small (¾”), six medium (1″) and eight large (1¼”). The maximum far-infrared heat penetrates your hair from within, giving you faster styling times with less damage to your hair. With ultra-fast heat-up time, these professional quality hot rollers offer exceptional heat conduction. They also have 20 butterfly clips and 20 color-coded metal clips to keep curling simple and easy. Plus they have an on/off switch with an indicator light so you’ll never be left guessing whether or not your curlers are ready to use. If you really just need hot rollers for long hair, BaByliss also makes a 12 pack of jumbo rollers.
Price: $60.99 (13 percent off MSRP)
- Lots of big rollers make for soft curls
- Heats up fast
- Lower curling times reduce hair damage
- Curlers give even thinner hair big body and volume
- Roller clips don’t hold well enough and tend to snag hair
- Rollers don’t appear to get hot enough for some
- Reports of long heat up times
- Roller clips leave dents in your hair
2. Remington T|Studio Thermaluxe Ceramic Hot Rollers
Now you can lock in beautiful, long-lasting styles in no time with Remington T|Studio Thermaluxe Ceramic hot rollers, featuring advanced thermal technology. The rollers and clips heat hair from the inside and out, setting your curls in just five minutes. That’s important because the quick set time means you’ll minimize heat damage and frizz. With 20 rollers in two sizes, 12 large (1 ¼”) and 8 medium (1″), you can create a head full of bouncy curls super fast. This set has a 90-second proprietary dual heating system that heats both the clips and rollers at the same time. It also has a bright LED to indicate when they are ready use. With a four year warranty, you can count on using these hot rollers for a good long time.
- Rated 4.5 out of five stars by users
- Super fast heat up times
- Compact case takes up less counter space
- Rollers are hot enough to tame even difficult hair
- Stacked design of the case makes unloading and reloading more difficult
- Clips leave dents in hair
- Only two curler sizes which are on the smaller side
3. Infiniti Pro by Conair Instant Heat Ceramic Flocked Rollers
For big, bodacious curls in record time, look no further than this great set of Infiniti Pro by Conair instant heat ceramic flocked rollers. These 20 rollers heat up in just two minutes, so you don’t have to make advance plans if you decide you want gorgeous curls at the last minute. With twelve different temperature settings, it’s easy to create dozens of different styles. The three different roller sizes mean you’ll have ultimate flexibility – they come in large (1 ¼”, medium (1″) and small (¾”). As an added bonus with these heated curlers, you’ll also receive a bottle of Argan oil fusion for conditioning and anti-frizz technology. For bigger, more swoopy curls, the Conair Xtreme Instant Heat Jumbo And Super Jumbo Hair Setter is a great choice.
Price: $53.99 (10 percent off MSRP)
- Super fast heat-up
- Retractable cord makes for simple storage
- One hour auto shut-off
- Twelve heat settings make these hot rollers extremely flexible
- Curlers can get extremely hot
- Clips don’t hold rollers as well as they should
- Big case is not convenient for travel
- Rollers are heavy compared to some
4. TIGI Bed Head Roll Call Bubble Hot Rollers
If you’re looking to create long, loose waves, TIGI’s Bed Head Roll Call Bubble hot rollers might be just what you’re looking for. You’ll get that tousled, texturized look in just minutes. These unique hot curlers come with ten bubble shaped rollers in two sizes: five large and five medium. They come with color-coded butterfly clips, as well as an inches on inches indicator light and, for convenience, they even have their own storage pouch. If you’re looking for more natural looking curls, Bed Head’s Ten Piece Conical hot rollers might do the trick.
Price: $25.20 (28 percent off MSRP)
- Creates beautiful, beachy, wavy curls
- Great for medium and shorter length hair cuts
- Creates long lasting curls
- Small enough to travel with
- Curlers can get almost too hot to touch
- Roller clamps can kink hair
- Takes time to get the hang of using them
- Small number of hot rollers in the set
5. Jilbère de Paris Instant Heat Ceramic Hot Rollers
The Jilbère Instant Heat 12 Roller Ceramic hot roller set can help you achieve all sorts of curly looks without damaging your hair. Because their efficient ceramic core provides maximum heat transfer of far infrared heat, you get faster, gentler styling with more curls and less frizz. These curlers heat up to 127°F, ultra-fast. That means little wait time and great hair in less time. The on/off switch has an easy read indicator light to let you easily see when you’ve shut them off.
- Rated 4.5 out of five stars by users
- Rollers heat super fast
- Rollers are easy to work with and don’t snag on hair
- They add body, volume and shape to your hair
- No indicator to let you know when rollers are at proper temperature
- Metal pin fasteners don’t work for some
- Larger unit takes up counter or cupboard space
6. Revlon 10-Piece Ionic Hot Rollers Travel Set
Have touchable, healthy looking curls anywhere you go. This pink Revlon travel hot roller set has tourmaline ceramic technology. With mineral conditioning crystals that help to create healthy beautiful hair, the ceramic generates a gentle heat, reversing the effects of damage. The ergonomically designed hot rollers and clips come in two sizes medium and large. Each set contains five of each size to make hair styling easy and versatile. These curlers heat up fast and they have an indicator to let you know when they’re ready to use.
Price: $19.16 (13 percent off MSRP)
- Compact and lightweight
- Super affordable
- Rollers heat up fast
- Makes great curls
- Set is pretty small for those with a lot of hair
- Rollers can get very hot next to your head
- Roller clips don’t work well for some
- Set feels inexpensive
7. BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium Professional Hot Curling Sticks
This hot roller set is safe and gentle on hair, yet packs the power you need to make sweet, sexy curls or ultra-glam waves. The self-locking flexible spiral rollers don’t need clips, yet they hold on tight, so your curls will stay crease-free, unlike other rollers that require separate fasteners. This set features 20 rollers in two sizes for curl versatility and offers super fast heating times. The nano titanium technology creates long lasting curls that shine.
- Heats quickly
- Easy to use
- Makes lots of curls
- Really affordable compared to some
- Not enough size range
- You can only curl small amounts of hair on each roller
- Somewhat time consuming to develop techniques that work
- Not hot enough for some
8. Paul Mitchell Neuro Cell Premium Hot Roller System
It’s easy to get excited about anything new from Paul Mitchell, one of the foremost names in hair products and styling tools. Their Neuro Cell hot rollers are crafted from industrial-grade components, with rigorous quality control, which likely results in their high approval from consumers. The premium SmartSense heater ensures these rollers heat up fast, with precisely regulated heat. This set includes six one-inch rollers and strong hold clips. It features customizable temperature settings and has a one-hour shut-off safety feature, always reassuring when you’re hurrying to get ready for work in the morning. These curlers even have a rapid 8-second heat-up time for fine hair setting. That’s lightning fast. They also have a color changing indicator light that shows you when your rollers are hot, taking the guess work out of styling.
- Heats up almost instantly
- Most highly rated of all products reviewed
- Creates lasting curls
- Speeds styling times
- Pretty darned expensive
- Too few rollers for those with lots of hair
9. Caruso Molecular Steam Hairsetter
The Caruso Professional® Molecular® Hairsetter creates long lasting curls and volume while keeping your hair healthy, shiny and in great condition. This revolutionary curling process uses tiny molecules of steam to penetrate your hair shaft, reforming the chain bonds to create strong, beautiful curls in less than a minute. It’s great for creating perfect spiral curls and waves that will last for days. Better yet, this set contains 30 rollers, six each of five sizes, making it one of the most versatile of all reviewed. The compact size makes it ideal for home and travel. Plus it works well for all hair types, and adds body and shine. If you have so much hair that 30 roller still aren’t enough, you can buy extra rollers in various sizes here.
- Super easy to use anywhere
- Makes great curls that last for days
- Leaves hair shiny and bouncy
- Reduces heat damage over traditional electric rollers
- Takes some practice to get the hang of using these
- Need to regularly clean the steamer to avoid mineral build-up
- Not effective for every user
10. Remington Ceramic Ionic Jumbo Curls Hot Rollers
If you’re looking for big, swoopy curls and lots of added body, Remington’s Ceramic Ionic Jumbo Curls hot rollers could be just the hot tool you’re looking for. The twelve velvety soft curlers come in two different big sizes. The ceramic coating keeps them at even heat and the ionic conditioning properties make for a frizz-free, smooth look. These curlers have a wax core, which means that they retain high heat longer, to set curls quickly and firmly. Made with soft-touch, easy-grip material,these rollers stay securely in place. And for those of us with sensitive fingers, the cool-touch ends make curling your hair a lot more pleasant.
- Cool touch ends make them easy on your fingers
- Wax core makes them hold heat longer
- Great for big swoopy curls
- Grippy texture helps rollers stay in your hair
- Pretty expensive
- Requires an adaptor plug to run at 120V
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.