Were you raised by a single father? Here are some special and inspirational quotes to thank the strong, single dad who raised you into who you are today. Father’s Day was actually created for a single dad. It was founded by Sonora Smart Dodd, daughter of Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, who was also a single parent and raised Sonora and her five siblings alone. Whether your dad raised one or six, here are some inspirational sayings and words of wisdom about not only what it takes to be a man, but also a father.
1. “Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.” – Anne Geddes, Australian-born photographer
2. “Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice.” – Charles F. Kettering, American inventor, engineer, businessman
3. “A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.” – Unknown
4. “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.” – Sam Clemens, AKA "Mark Twain"
5. “It is much easier to become a father than to be one.” – Kent Nerburn, American author
6. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” – Sigmund Freud, Austrian neurologist
7. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person: He believed in me.” – Jim Valvano, American college basketball player, coach, and broadcaster
8. “You will find that if you really try to be a father, your child will meet you halfway.” – Robert Brault, author
9. “My father didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.” – Clarence Budington Kelland, American writer
10. “Noble fathers have noble children.” – Euripedes, classical playwright